Carrera Rebels Over Cycling!

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
Yes, I put my foot down big time because my bosses keep loading me with work and I have no time to cycle or even work on my boat. There was one hell of a row too.
Basically, when my boss told me I'd be working my day off (a free day I'd been looking forward to for 10 days!) I refused point blank and came up with the excuse I had a doctor's appointment. ;)
Amazingly she phoned my doctor later on but initially refused to accept my excuse and still wanted me at work. :confused:
But I held out, so I did. I just believe that cycling is something I need to have some free time to be able to do since everbody else at work is so overweight and unhealthy and that's not for me. :D
I really did go pretty far. I told them they could sack me or whatever but that I wanted free time during the week instead of being their slave. Now I'm the black sheep and some of the bosses don't speak to me. However, I think it's selfish to just take it for granted that people should give everything up and be martyrs to the work ethic.
Today I cycled 40 miles or so and feel better for it. Even so, I'm still pretyy out of shape and don't do anything like the training time other cyclists do.

I've told my boss before I was hired that we cyclists are sometimes a strange lot - calling in "sick" on good weather days, getting ornery for no apparent reason (usually from not having ridden for a few days), and wanting to work when no one else does, (so as to have other days off for cycling)...or even conducting group rides in the middle of a work day! I've done all of that and more.

They're fairly lenient where I'm employed, and it's something ws had to get straight right off the bat. In exchange, I give extra hours and effort whenever I can, so they've been pretty happy so far.

If it could not be thus, I would quit them in a NY minute.

There ARE things in life more meaningful than simply working yourself into the ground for another's greater profit. Been there/done that, and I will NOT do it anymore. Life is way too short. I saw too what workaholism did to my father.

Also, time with my 6 y.o. daughter is much more valuable to me (and her) than any money an employer could offer.

Well put Wurm. Couldn't have said it better.
I have my own theory that it's actually dangerous for a hard-training cyclist to stop riding as we grow accustomed to dopamines. Look at how depressed Pantani became soon as he laid off riding or the Spanish climber Jimenez (both turned to drugs during their lay-off).
Speaking personally, if I don't ride hard I can get depressed big time. It's like another person emerges after a few weeks and I don't feel myself. However, when I ride hard, I feel so positive and alive after and ready to fight a lion, so to speak.
I don't want to sound like I'm getting on a soapbox but my co-workers seem to have lost the plot. Sure, they earn all this money but just look at those waist lines, the wheezing and gasping after going up a flight of steps, the smoking, the red faces and the blood-pressure or diabetes.
Nope, I'd rather be poor and healthy than rich and in poor health.

Wurm said:
I've told my boss before I was hired that we cyclists are sometimes a strange lot - calling in "sick" on good weather days, getting ornery for no apparent reason (usually from not having ridden for a few days), and wanting to work when no one else does, (so as to have other days off for cycling)...or even conducting group rides in the middle of a work day! I've done all of that and more.

They're fairly lenient where I'm employed, and it's something ws had to get straight right off the bat. In exchange, I give extra hours and effort whenever I can, so they've been pretty happy so far.

If it could not be thus, I would quit them in a NY minute.

There ARE things in life more meaningful than simply working yourself into the ground for another's greater profit. Been there/done that, and I will NOT do it anymore. Life is way too short. I saw too what workaholism did to my father.

Also, time with my 6 y.o. daughter is much more valuable to me (and her) than any money an employer could offer.

Carrera said:
Yes, I put my foot down big time because my bosses keep loading me with work and I have no time to cycle or even work on my boat. There was one hell of a row too.
Basically, when my boss told me I'd be working my day off (a free day I'd been looking forward to for 10 days!) I refused point blank and came up with the excuse I had a doctor's appointment. ;)
Amazingly she phoned my doctor later on but initially refused to accept my excuse and still wanted me at work. :confused:
But I held out, so I did. I just believe that cycling is something I need to have some free time to be able to do since everbody else at work is so overweight and unhealthy and that's not for me. :D
I really did go pretty far. I told them they could sack me or whatever but that I wanted free time during the week instead of being their slave. Now I'm the black sheep and some of the bosses don't speak to me. However, I think it's selfish to just take it for granted that people should give everything up and be martyrs to the work ethic.
Today I cycled 40 miles or so and feel better for it. Even so, I'm still pretyy out of shape and don't do anything like the training time other cyclists do.
"Arise,ye workers from your slumbers,
Arise,ye prisoners of want!
For reason in revolt now thunders,
And at last ends the age of cant!"
Well done,comrade carrera!
:D

Now when do we run up the Black Flag and start the People's Tribunals?

stevebaby said:
"Soon...just when the blokes aren't expecting it, me hearties!! And we'll flog 'em good we will, boys!!"

ARRRGG!!

The worm has definitely turned. Of course, having a reasonable supply of money in my account does make things easier. If they do sack me, at least I won't starve and I can even spend a while doing my boat up.
In fact, I keep thinking a lot about going into the boat business by myself, buying, restoring and reselling canal boats. Then I can cycle all I want and work in my own time limits.
I'm open to change basically. I'm tired of working without a break and killing myself at the salt mine.
I also want to cycle to Wales this year and chill out in Llandudno. That would be pretty cool. You can't beat Wales for cycling. ;)

stevebaby said:
"Arise,ye workers from your slumbers,
Arise,ye prisoners of want!
For reason in revolt now thunders,
And at last ends the age of cant!"
Well done,comrade carrera!
:D

Carrera said:
The worm has definitely turned. Of course, having a reasonable supply of money in my account does make things easier. If they do sack me, at least I won't starve and I can even spend a while doing my boat up.
In fact, I keep thinking a lot about going into the boat business by myself, buying, restoring and reselling canal boats. Then I can cycle all I want and work in my own time limits.
I'm open to change basically. I'm tired of working without a break and killing myself at the salt mine.
I also want to cycle to Wales this year and chill out in Llandudno. That would be pretty cool. You can't beat Wales for cycling. ;)
Ahh...Wales. One of the places I've always wanted to 2-wheel, then go up the coast to the Land of Single Malts. *slurp* Right up there in my book with Moab, Tuscany, and a few others.

Why don't you make a plan and get out from under? Tell 'em to feck off and then go do your 'boats' idea. Better than being old one day and wishing you did.

when i worked in corporate tech employ, there were riders who would go out at lunch to do laps, some got quite big, as many as 150 rider packs, true "racing simulations".

then there was the smaller group that would do some serious climbing.

i remember a colleague saying how he held lunchtime as sacred, and would bail in the middle of meetings with the insidious practice of catered lunches. if asked where he was going, he would say something to the effect of how he needs to round up the updated product specs. he would then come back a couple hours later with salt crusted helmet hair.
i took this guy's lead, and rode 1.5 hr lunch rides.

another guy on the ride was on his final notice for leaving to ride, he would exit via a path that evaded security cameras, change in his car, and cyclocross carry the bike under a bridge to avoid notice.

where there is a will there is a way.

Carrera said:
Yes, I put my foot down big time because my bosses keep loading me with work and I have no time to cycle QUOTE]

I'm afraid my situation has been beyond remedy. I was frequently working from six in the evening till eight in the morning. I'd be doing up to 9 days in a row and then find my only day off was cancelled at the last minute.
That's why I rebelled the other week.
My job used to be fine and I could cycle several days a week or by night if it was Winter and the nights getting dark. But over the last few months I had no option but to drop it (apart from my rides to work and back).
To keep my fitness up I opted for very high rep squats over a solid hour, doing sets of 20 to the limit. Not that it would substitute cycling but at least I could keep myself in shape to a certain degree.
At the moment I'm probably seen as selfish since everybody else understands we have acute staff shortages and are working all the hours God sends. However, to me exercise time is sacred. Every time I go out onto the street and see how people have generally let themselves go, it makes me think about priorities. The number of people who are either obese, fat or with diabetese is pretty shocking. There is too much reliance on cars, lifts, buses and trains and the population is getting fat!

lyotard said:
when i worked in corporate tech employ, there were riders who would go out at lunch to do laps, some got quite big, as many as 150 rider packs, true "racing simulations".

then there was the smaller group that would do some serious climbing.

i remember a colleague saying how he held lunchtime as sacred, and would bail in the middle of meetings with the insidious practice of catered lunches. if asked where he was going, he would say something to the effect of how he needs to round up the updated product specs. he would then come back a couple hours later with salt crusted helmet hair.
i took this guy's lead, and rode 1.5 hr lunch rides.

another guy on the ride was on his final notice for leaving to ride, he would exit via a path that evaded security cameras, change in his car, and cyclocross carry the bike under a bridge to avoid notice.

where there is a will there is a way.

Carrera said:
Yes, I put my foot down big time because my bosses keep loading me with work and I have no time to cycle QUOTE]

Wales is a lot nicer than here where I live. I've always wanted to take off on my bike and pedal till I see the sea. I've never done it before but have always gone by car with family.
The snag is I need to find a route that takes me off the main highways due to the traffic. My main fear isn't my endurance but the prospect of getting lost and losing valuable time. Maybe this year I'll give it a go. ;)
Incidentally there are one or two castles in Wales. One was bought by an American who turned it into a home close to a golf course.

Wurm said:
Ahh...Wales. One of the places I've always wanted to 2-wheel, then go up the coast to the Land of Single Malts. *slurp* Right up there in my book with Moab, Tuscany, and a few others.

Why don't you make a plan and get out from under? Tell 'em to feck off and then go do your 'boats' idea. Better than being old one day and wishing you did.

Carrera said:
I'm afraid my situation has been beyond remedy. I was frequently working from six in the evening till eight in the morning. I'd be doing up to 9 days in a row and then find my only day off was cancelled at the last minute.
That's why I rebelled the other week.
Seriously, your job doesn't allow days off? What (if you don't mind my asking) do you do for a living? IT?

the weather outside is lovely...sunny and warm...

i can feel a sickness bug coming on....:D

Olasnah said:
Seriously, your job doesn't allow days off? What (if you don't mind my asking) do you do for a living? IT?