Carrier on full suspension.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kev C, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kev C

Kev C Guest

Hi all. Maybe the wrong group to ask, may be a stupid question but I won a full suspension 'bike(off
    road type) in a supermarket competition I was wondering if there was a rear carrier made (had to
    remove the water bottle cage as it was at perfect castrating level) which didn't mind the chainstays
    going up and down?Any load carried would be relatively light.I can't see how a rear carrier would
    work with only one point(seat tube?) fixing.

--
    yours K (Addy not usable [not that you would try it anyway]) There wis a Hare ran tae a burn it ran
    sae fast it couldnae turn

\\SPLASH// :p

---
    This communication has been checked and should be free of all known viruses Checked by AVG
    anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release Date:
    18/04/2003

Tags:

2. Murf 013

Murf 013 Guest

Any bike shop should carry a seat post mount rack. As long as you have about two inches of post to
    grip, the reflector can come off giving you more space. Some are Q/R type others bolt on your
    choice, They cost about fifty dollars.

3. On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:30:36 +0000, Kev C did issue forth:

> Hi all. Maybe the wrong group to ask, may be a stupid question but I won a full suspension
    > 'bike(off road type) in a supermarket competition I was wondering if there was a rear carrier made
    > (had to remove the water bottle cage as it was at perfect castrating level) which didn't mind the
    > chainstays going up and down?Any load carried would be relatively light.I can't see how a rear
    > carrier would work with only one point(seat tube?) fixing.

Seatpost mounted racks are available from various manufacturers, although Topeak are the only one
    that immediately spring to mind. As you said, it's not going to be as strong as a rack that fits to
    the seatstays, but I've seen people carrying tents and other bits and pieces on them off-road.

--
    Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

4. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"Kev C" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Maybe the wrong group to ask, may be a stupid question but I won a full suspension 'bike(off
    > road type) in a supermarket competition I was wondering if there was a rear carrier made (had to
    > remove the water bottle cage as it was at perfect castrating level) which didn't mind the
    chainstays
    > going up and down?Any load carried would be relatively light.I can't see
    how
    > a rear carrier would work with only one point(seat tube?) fixing.

Indeed there are several brands of carrier which clip right on to the seatpost. We've heard sad
    stories from hanging panniers off the sides of those but a light load on top is straghtforward. Most
    brands suggest about 10kg max.

--
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

5. Kev C

Kev C Guest

Kev C typed the following

> Hi all. Maybe the wrong group to ask, may be a stupid question but I won a full suspension
    > 'bike(off road type) in a supermarket competition I was wondering if there was a rear carrier made
    > (had to remove the water bottle cage as it was at perfect castrating level) which didn't mind the
    > chainstays going up and down?Any load carried would be relatively light.I can't see how a rear
    > carrier would work with only one point(seat tube?) fixing.

Thanks all. Have finally found a carrier for suspension rear wheels
    http://www.oldmanmountain.com/red_rock_details.htm Did not think of the other mounting point(s) as
    being the brake bosses. Mounting a carrier only by the seat post offends my mechanical
    sensibilities, should be fine for very small loads though .The Red Rock seems very expensive (after
    all I didn't purchase this 'bike) $89 so by the time I've added shipping ,vat and import duty,which
    may or may not apply (I am not really up with importing goods), we are talking £89 I fully realise
    you get what you pay for (mostly) but £89 for a rear carrier is more than I want to spend. Now I
    have the basic idea I will see if the "proper" bike shop (which involves a trip into the city)has a
    steel "knock off"

--
    yours K (Addy not usable [not that you would try it anyway]) There wis a Hare ran tae a burn it ran
    sae fast it couldnae turn

\\SPLASH// :p

---
    This communication has been checked and should be free of all known viruses Checked by AVG
    anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.474 / Virus Database: 272 - Release Date:
    18/04/2003

6. Gmaker

Gmaker Guest

Kev C wrote:

> chainstays going up and down?

IMHO seat post carriers are a pain (literaly). Can't carry any useful load. They mount too high and
    swivel around whenever they are hit, usually by your shin when you are chucking your leg over. On a
    generic double sprung I have used an ordinary carrier with a single al strip 20mm X 3mm and about
    200mm long for the front strut, going down to a hole in the cross strengthener for what would
    normally be the seat stays (ie above the V brake bosses). It has just a little more flex than a
    fixed frame double boss mount, but is quite good if it will fit on your layout.

7. B. Sanders

B. Sanders Guest

"Kev C" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > which didn't mind the chainstays going up and down?Any load carried would be relatively light.I
    > can't see
    how
    > a rear carrier would work with only one point(seat tube?) fixing.

For light loads, cargo racks which clamp to the seatpost are just fine. Delta makes one with pannier
    mounts, and one without. PerformanceBike.com has a good one with a lever-actuated quick release for
    under $30. Topeak has one, too. You shouldn't have to spend more than about $40 on such a rack.

The OldManMountain racks are sweet, if you want to spend the big bucks. They're made for seriously
    heavy loaded touring, and are overkill for light loads. (What do you define as "light loads?")

Cheers,

Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.