Carrots and sliced thumbs...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Katra, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Katra

    Katra Guest

    I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.

    If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.

    So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my hand,
    slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as a
    backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!

    Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    to slice carrots?

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

  2. Katra <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

    >I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    >Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    >He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    >
    >If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    >they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    >and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.
    >
    >So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my hand,
    >slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as a
    >backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    >I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    >be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    >couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    >
    >Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    >to slice carrots?

    I gave up on chasing chunks of carrots all over the kitchen. I rarely use
    anything but baby carrots now. Just lop them in half or thirds, and that's
    it. I don't know if that'll help you in your situation, but I've been
    figuring out ways of performing various tasks to minimize stress, and this
    is one of them.

    Carol, waiting for someone to recommend a second job at Wendy's
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  3. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Katra <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:
    >
    > >I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > >Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > >He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    > >
    > >If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    > >they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    > >and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.
    > >
    > >So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my hand,
    > >slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as a
    > >backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    > >I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    > >be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    > >couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    > >
    > >Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    > >to slice carrots?

    > I gave up on chasing chunks of carrots all over the kitchen. I rarely use
    > anything but baby carrots now.

    ROFL! I see you know also!
    When _I_ buy carrots, I also get the packages of milled baby carrots,
    but when dad gets his SSI check at the beginning of the month, he nearly
    always comes home with a massive 3 lb. bag of large carrots even when
    I've asked him not to! He says they are cheaper. <grumble>

    > Just lop them in half or thirds, and that's
    > it. I don't know if that'll help you in your situation, but I've been
    > figuring out ways of performing various tasks to minimize stress, and this
    > is one of them.

    Hehehheh!
    We think alike it seems. ;-)
    Trick is to get dad to see it from MY point of view!

    > Carol, waiting for someone to recommend a second job at Wendy's

    --
    K.

    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Katra wrote:

    > I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    >
    > If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    > they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    > and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.
    >
    > So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my hand,
    > slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as a
    > backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    > I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    > be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    > couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    >
    > Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    > to slice carrots?

    I usually cut them in half-moons instead: Cut the carrots lengthwise, then
    put them flat-side down for the remainder of the cutting. When the crosswise
    cuts are made, I put the tip of the knife on the board on the other side of
    the carrot, then move the knife like a pivot, bringing the blade through the
    carrot. I never have the problem you describe.

    There *are* Kevlar gloves you could use if you want to continue using your
    technique: www.bestlabdeals.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=17685 is one
    example I found using froogle.com.

    Bob

  5. BOB

    BOB Guest

    Katra wrote:
    > I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    >
    > If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    > they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    > and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.
    >
    > So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my
    > hand, slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as
    > backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    > I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    > be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    > couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    >
    > Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    > to slice carrots?
    >
    > --
    > K.

    http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/c...ummarize=true&ip_perPage=15&srcText=mandoline

  6. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "BOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Katra wrote:
    >> I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    >> Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    >> He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    >>
    >> If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    >> they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    >> and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.
    >>
    >> So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my
    >> hand, slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as a
    >> backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    >> I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    >> be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    >> couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    >>
    >> Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    >> to slice carrots?
    >>
    >> --
    >> K.

    > http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/c...ummarize=true&ip_perPage=15&srcText=mandoline

    Forget slicing --
    put them in the oven whole or in a couple of pieces.
    Dee

  7. On Tue 29 Mar 2005 11:50:02p, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.

    Katra, have you ever heard of a Feemster Slicer?

    It's a very inexpensive adjustable slicer with a very sharp blade. They're
    kind of a "throw-a-way", as I would never attempt to resharpen the blade, but
    they're inexpensive enough to replace every few years or so.

    http://www.jensco.com/thekitchendrawer/kitchen_tools/slicers_mandolins/slicer
    901.html

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  8. On Tue 29 Mar 2005 11:50:02p, Katra wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.

    Katra, have you ever heard of a Feemster Slicer?

    It's a very inexpensive adjustable slicer with a very sharp blade. They're
    kind of a "throw-a-way", as I would never attempt to resharpen the blade, but
    they're inexpensive enough to replace every few years or so.

    http://www.jensco.com/thekitchendrawer/kitchen_tools/slicers_mandolins/slicer
    901.html

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

  9. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    >
    > If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    > they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    > and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.

    <snip>

    "Pop"! That is the fault of the knife. Get an sharp knife and slice not
    break the carrot. You won't have that problem. And as an added bonus you'll
    save your thumb.

    Dimitri

  10. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    >
    > If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    > they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    > and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.

    <snip>

    "Pop"! That is the fault of the knife. Get an sharp knife and slice not
    break the carrot. You won't have that problem. And as an added bonus you'll
    save your thumb.

    Dimitri

  11. George

    George Guest

    Katra wrote:
    > I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    >
    > If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    > they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    > and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.

    Use a sharp knife and don't chop them with the knife. Try to use a
    smooth slicing stroke.

    > So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my hand,
    > slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as a
    > backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    > I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    > be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    > couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    >
    > Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    > to slice carrots?

  12. George

    George Guest

    Katra wrote:
    > I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    >
    > If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    > they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    > and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.

    Use a sharp knife and don't chop them with the knife. Try to use a
    smooth slicing stroke.

    > So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my hand,
    > slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as a
    > backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    > I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    > be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    > couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    >
    > Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    > to slice carrots?

  13. Phred

    Phred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    >Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    >He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    >
    >If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    >they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    >and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.

    I know what you mean! ;-)

    It's worse if you simply try to cut "down" on the things. Use a
    really sharp knife and cut "across" in a slicing motion and you should
    get less scatter. (But probably still not *no* scatter. :)

    >So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my hand,
    >slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as a
    >backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    >I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    >be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    >couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    >
    >Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    >to slice carrots?

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]LID

  14. Phred

    Phred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    >Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    >He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    >
    >If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    >they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    >and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.

    I know what you mean! ;-)

    It's worse if you simply try to cut "down" on the things. Use a
    really sharp knife and cut "across" in a slicing motion and you should
    get less scatter. (But probably still not *no* scatter. :)

    >So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my hand,
    >slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as a
    >backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    >I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    >be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    >couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    >
    >Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    >to slice carrots?

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]LID

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bob" <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    >
    > > I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > > Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > > He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    > >
    > > If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    > > they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    > > and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.
    > >
    > > So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my hand,
    > > slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as a
    > > backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    > > I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    > > be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    > > couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    > >
    > > Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    > > to slice carrots?

    > I usually cut them in half-moons instead: Cut the carrots lengthwise, then
    > put them flat-side down for the remainder of the cutting. When the crosswise
    > cuts are made, I put the tip of the knife on the board on the other side of
    > the carrot, then move the knife like a pivot, bringing the blade through the
    > carrot. I never have the problem you describe.
    >
    > There *are* Kevlar gloves you could use if you want to continue using your
    > technique: www.bestlabdeals.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=17685 is one
    > example I found using froogle.com.
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks! :)
    --
    Om.

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bob" <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    >
    > > I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > > Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > > He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    > >
    > > If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    > > they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    > > and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.
    > >
    > > So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my hand,
    > > slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as a
    > > backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    > > I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    > > be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    > > couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    > >
    > > Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    > > to slice carrots?

    > I usually cut them in half-moons instead: Cut the carrots lengthwise, then
    > put them flat-side down for the remainder of the cutting. When the crosswise
    > cuts are made, I put the tip of the knife on the board on the other side of
    > the carrot, then move the knife like a pivot, bringing the blade through the
    > carrot. I never have the problem you describe.
    >
    > There *are* Kevlar gloves you could use if you want to continue using your
    > technique: www.bestlabdeals.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=17685 is one
    > example I found using froogle.com.
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks! :)
    --
    Om.

  17. In article <[email protected]>,
    "BOB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    > > I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > > Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > > He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    > >
    > > If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    > > they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    > > and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.
    > >
    > > So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my
    > > hand, slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as
    > > backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    > > I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    > > be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    > > couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    > >
    > > Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    > > to slice carrots?
    > >
    > > --
    > > K.

    > http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/catalog/47/search.jhtml?ip_state=&orgUrl=/
    > store%2Fcatalog%2F47%2Fsearch.jhtml&ip_autoSummarize=true&ip_perPage=15&srcTex
    > t=mandoline

    Ahhhh... Mandoline.

    But, will a mandoline cut stuff 1" thick???
    --
    Om.

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    "BOB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    > > I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > > Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > > He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    > >
    > > If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    > > they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    > > and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.
    > >
    > > So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my
    > > hand, slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as
    > > backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    > > I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    > > be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    > > couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    > >
    > > Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    > > to slice carrots?
    > >
    > > --
    > > K.

    > http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/catalog/47/search.jhtml?ip_state=&orgUrl=/
    > store%2Fcatalog%2F47%2Fsearch.jhtml&ip_autoSummarize=true&ip_perPage=15&srcTex
    > t=mandoline

    Ahhhh... Mandoline.

    But, will a mandoline cut stuff 1" thick???
    --
    Om.

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "BOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Katra wrote:
    > >> I _hate_ slicing fresh carrots!!!
    > >> Dad likes them a lot tho' so it has to be done.
    > >> He prefers them in bite sized chunky slices.
    > >>
    > >> If I try to slice them on the cutting board with the chef's knife,
    > >> they are so crisp they tend to want to "pop" off as I slice them
    > >> and go all over the kitchen! Crispy beasts.
    > >>
    > >> So, I generally use a good sharp paring knife and hold them in my
    > >> hand, slicing them into a bowl by cutting thru them with my thumb as a
    > >> backstop. The drawback to that is that if my knife is sharp enough,
    > >> I end up with fine little slices in my thumb. Rarely deep enough to
    > >> be a real cut (unless the knife is REALLY sharp which has happened a
    > >> couple of times!) but it's really annoying!!!
    > >>
    > >> Is there such a thing as a thumb guard, or is there a better way
    > >> to slice carrots?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> K.

    > > http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/catalog/47/search.jhtml?ip_state=&orgUrl=%
    > > 2Fstore%2Fcatalog%2F47%2Fsearch.jhtml&ip_autoSummarize=true&ip_perPage=15&sr
    > > cText=mandoline

    > Forget slicing --
    > put them in the oven whole or in a couple of pieces.
    > Dee

    <lol> I'm usually steaming them with butter and dill for dad. ;-)
    He likes them cut into 1" chunks!

    I really gotta train him to buy the baby carrots!
    I don't have to cut those at all.
    --
    Om.

  20. In article <[email protected]>,