Carrying a rucksack

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian B., Dec 14, 2005.

  1. Ian B.

    Ian B. Guest

    Anyone have suggestions for the best way to carry a rucksack on a bike?
    It does really need to be a rucksack as I have to carry it round all
    day. One idea I've seen is to attach a wire basket to the rear rack with
    some cable ties, or a basket on the front but that might get in the way
    a bit.

    I do 16 miles with it each day and it's fairly heavy, so getting it off
    my back would surely be a good thing.

    Thanks for any suggestions,
    Ian

    Tags:

  2. Ken Clements

    Ken Clements Guest

    "Ian B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone have suggestions for the best way to carry a rucksack on a bike? It
    > does really need to be a rucksack as I have to carry it round all day. One
    > idea I've seen is to attach a wire basket to the rear rack with some cable
    > ties, or a basket on the front but that might get in the way a bit.
    >
    > I do 16 miles with it each day and it's fairly heavy, so getting it off my
    > back would surely be a good thing.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions,
    > Ian

    Top of the rack with bungees?

    Ken.

  3. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Ian B. wondered:
    > Anyone have suggestions for the best way to carry a rucksack on a bike?
    > It does really need to be a rucksack as I have to carry it round all
    > day. One idea I've seen is to attach a wire basket to the rear rack with
    > some cable ties, or a basket on the front but that might get in the way
    > a bit.

    An alternative, depending on how much you're willing to spend, would be
    to use an Ortlieb pannier with a rucksack attachment. Look for "Pannier
    Harness System" here:
    <URL:http://www.bikefix.co.uk/b-ortlieb.html>

    It's not cheap, but you get a good pair of panniers and a perfectly
    usable rucksack out of it. The harness takes a few seconds to attach
    and remove from the pannier - you won't be able to attach the pannier to
    the bike with the harness attached.

    It works well for me, but the weight distribution probably wouldn't be
    good for carrying really heavy loads on your back.

    --
    Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
    <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>

  4. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Ian B. wrote:
    > Anyone have suggestions for the best way to carry a rucksack on a bike?
    > It does really need to be a rucksack as I have to carry it round all
    > day. One idea I've seen is to attach a wire basket to the rear rack with
    > some cable ties, or a basket on the front but that might get in the way
    > a bit.
    >
    > I do 16 miles with it each day and it's fairly heavy, so getting it off
    > my back would surely be a good thing.

    Two suggestions:
    1. Halfords used to (may still) do a rucksack which has a zip on pannier
    mounting. A friend of mine has one of these. Its a good idea, if a
    little cheaply executed.
    2. (Wot I do touring) drop the rucksack into a suitably large pannier. I
    do this so I can bung the pannier with my sleeping equipment in the
    tent, once its up, and whip off for a shower with all the stuff I need
    in the rucksack having taken it out of the other pannier. It works best
    with a soft shell rucksack (I use a cheap one - I think it was less than
    a tenner), and helps keep stuff dry too.

    JimP

  5. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Ian B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone have suggestions for the best way to carry a rucksack on a bike? It
    > does really need to be a rucksack as I have to carry it round all day. One
    > idea I've seen is to attach a wire basket to the rear rack with some cable
    > ties, or a basket on the front but that might get in the way a bit.
    >
    > I do 16 miles with it each day and it's fairly heavy, so getting it off my
    > back would surely be a good thing.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions,
    > Ian

    Bungee it to the rear rack. That or use panniers.

    Cheers, helen s

  6. Depends what the rucksack is for and how much carrying is involved away from
    the bike. Altura (among others) do some panniers that double as a laptop
    bag and have an strap to attach and put over your shoulder when away from
    the bike.

    "Ian B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone have suggestions for the best way to carry a rucksack on a bike? It
    > does really need to be a rucksack as I have to carry it round all day. One
    > idea I've seen is to attach a wire basket to the rear rack with some cable
    > ties, or a basket on the front but that might get in the way a bit.
    >
    > I do 16 miles with it each day and it's fairly heavy, so getting it off my
    > back would surely be a good thing.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions,
    > Ian

  7. archierob

    archierob Guest

    Do not just bungee it to a rack! Rucksacks have straps and they can
    fall into the wheels with bad consequences. You don't say how big it
    is only that its heavy. Place it in a plastic container - the ones you
    store kids toys in etc. - they come in various sizes. Then bungee the
    box to the rack.

  8. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "archierob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:4i%[email protected]
    > Do not just bungee it to a rack! Rucksacks have straps and they can
    > fall into the wheels with bad consequences. You don't say how big it
    > is only that its heavy. Place it in a plastic container - the ones you
    > store kids toys in etc. - they come in various sizes. Then bungee the
    > box to the rack.

    Well that's an easily remedied problem - I just use the excess strap length,
    knot it round the shoulder straps & that stops any dangling. Indede that's
    exactly what I did today when I had a backpack I use bungeed to the rear
    rack of my 'bent. No problems at all.

    Cheers, helen s

  9. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > Ian B. wondered:
    >> Anyone have suggestions for the best way to carry a rucksack
    >> on a bike? It does really need to be a rucksack as I have to
    >> carry it round all day. One idea I've seen is to attach a
    >> wire basket to the rear rack with some cable ties, or a
    >> basket on the front but that might get in the way a bit.

    > An alternative, depending on how much you're willing to spend,
    > would be to use an Ortlieb pannier with a rucksack attachment.
    > Look for "Pannier Harness System" here:
    > <URL:http://www.bikefix.co.uk/b-ortlieb.html>
    >
    > It's not cheap, but you get a good pair of panniers and a
    > perfectly usable rucksack out of it.

    At 25 UKP I would say it was quite good value or am I looking at the
    wrong thing?
    --
    Cheers
    the.Mark

  10. audrey

    audrey Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:17:24 +0000 (UTC), "the.Mark"
    <[email protected]ail.com> wrote:

    >> Look for "Pannier Harness System" here:
    >> <URL:http://www.bikefix.co.uk/b-ortlieb.html>
    >>
    >> It's not cheap, but you get a good pair of panniers and a
    >> perfectly usable rucksack out of it.

    > At 25 UKP I would say it was quite good value or am I looking at the
    >wrong thing?

    You'd need one of them things and one of the panniers listed above

  11. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    I suggested:
    >>Look for "Pannier Harness System" here:
    >><URL:http://www.bikefix.co.uk/b-ortlieb.html>
    >>
    >>It's not cheap, but you get a good pair of panniers and a
    >>perfectly usable rucksack out of it.

    and the.Mark responded:
    > At 25 UKP I would say it was quite good value or am I looking at the
    > wrong thing?

    For 25 quid you get the harness system, not the bag to go with it. You
    would, additionally, need an Ortlieb pannier. Ortlieb panniers /are/
    good value, but not cheap.

    --

  12. archierob wrote:
    > Do not just bungee it to a rack! Rucksacks have straps and they can
    > fall into the wheels with bad consequences. You don't say how big it
    > is only that its heavy. Place it in a plastic container - the ones you
    > store kids toys in etc. - they come in various sizes. Then bungee the
    > box to the rack.

    Or attach some kind of plastic box to your rack as a semi-permanent
    load carrier and put the sac inside. Something like this but with a
    rucksac instead of a dog
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/page/?o=aw&page_id=10381&v=7

    Iain

  13. archierob

    archierob Guest

    Yea that's exactly it! Lol.

  14. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Ian B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone have suggestions for the best way to carry a rucksack on a bike? It
    > does really need to be a rucksack as I have to carry it round all day. One
    > idea I've seen is to attach a wire basket to the rear rack with some cable
    > ties, or a basket on the front but that might get in the way a bit.
    >
    > I do 16 miles with it each day and it's fairly heavy, so getting it off my
    > back would surely be a good thing.

    I've read all the advice given so far ... yes, panniers are better than
    rucksacks. Although a rucksack with breathable back is available. (Get
    sweaty shoulders and lower back though).

    Best choice, carry panniers, or store your stuff at your destination. I
    think, in your predicament, I'd just travel lighter.

    Nick

  15. elyob

    elyob Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > archierob wrote:
    >> Do not just bungee it to a rack! Rucksacks have straps and they can
    >> fall into the wheels with bad consequences. You don't say how big it
    >> is only that its heavy. Place it in a plastic container - the ones you
    >> store kids toys in etc. - they come in various sizes. Then bungee the
    >> box to the rack.

    > Or attach some kind of plastic box to your rack as a semi-permanent
    > load carrier and put the sac inside. Something like this but with a
    > rucksac instead of a dog
    > http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/page/?o=aw&page_id=10381&v=7

    Great photo .. will it land on all fours?!

    ;)

  16. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Ian B.
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Anyone have suggestions for the best way to carry a rucksack on a bike?

    Yes, in the cupboard at home.

    > It does really need to be a rucksack as I have to carry it round all
    > day.

    Plenty of bar bags come with shoulder straps. These are good. When I was
    a student (and for a number of years afterwards) I used to carry one
    around with me all the time.

    Someone sells a pannier with built in rucksack-style straps - I haven't
    tried this. It may be OK.

    If you really, really must get a pannier big enough to put the rucksack
    in.

    > I do 16 miles with it each day and it's fairly heavy, so getting it off
    > my back would surely be a good thing.

    The risk of back injury cycling with a heavy rucksack is quite high.

    ;; L'etat c'est moi -- Louis XIV
    ;; I... we... the Government -- Tony Blair

  17. POHB

    POHB Guest

    Or wrap it in a strong plastic bag e.g. garden or rubble sack.
    Keeps it clean and dry too.

    >> Do not just bungee it to a rack! Rucksacks have straps and they can
    >> fall into the wheels with bad consequences. You don't say how big it
    >> is only that its heavy. Place it in a plastic container - the ones you
    >> store kids toys in etc. - they come in various sizes. Then bungee the
    >> box to the rack.

  18. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Or wrap it in a strong plastic bag e.g. garden or rubble sack.
    > Keeps it clean and dry too.
    >
    >>> Do not just bungee it to a rack! Rucksacks have straps and they can
    >>> fall into the wheels with bad consequences. You don't say how big it
    >>> is only that its heavy. Place it in a plastic container - the ones you
    >>> store kids toys in etc. - they come in various sizes. Then bungee the
    >>> box to the rack.

    Indeedee. Both ways would work.

    Cheers, helen s

  19. [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

    > archierob wrote:
    >> Do not just bungee it to a rack! Rucksacks have straps and they can
    >> fall into the wheels with bad consequences. You don't say how big it
    >> is only that its heavy. Place it in a plastic container - the ones you
    >> store kids toys in etc. - they come in various sizes. Then bungee the
    >> box to the rack.

    > Or attach some kind of plastic box to your rack as a semi-permanent
    > load carrier and put the sac inside. Something like this but with a
    > rucksac instead of a dog
    > http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/page/?o=aw&page_id=10381&v=7

    I liberated a plastic milk crate from a ditch by the cyclepath and
    tied it to my rear carrier. All my daysacks and briefcases can simply
    be dropped straight in, as can a few plastic supermarket shopping
    bags, etc.. It has the added advantage of looking dorky enough to
    revolt bike thieves, who are very much slaves to fashion.

    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  20. sothach

    sothach Guest

    elyob wrote:

    > Best choice, carry panniers...

    I found a shoulder strap that clips onto a pannier, that lets me sling
    the pannier on my back, messenger-bag style. Only problem is the
    pannier hook sticks in your back somethimes, otherwise, except for a
    long hike or climb, its as handy as a rucksack.