Carrying a rucksack

Simon Brooke wrote:

> The risk of back injury cycling with a heavy rucksack is quite high.

My favoured solution for this is to get a big, cheap pannier and drop the
rucksack in that. At the destination just leave the pannier on the bike.
A (very) cheap lock can be used to attach the pannier to the bike if needed.

I don't bother myself - just ensure that the pannier is easy to open so
that theives can see there's nothing inside. My pannier is sufficiently
old and tatty that I'm willing to take the risk that someone would nick
that.

Arhtur

--
Arthur Clune

Ian,
if you dont get the rucksack of your back, the rucksack may cover up
any fluorescent / reflective waistcoats you wear:
http://www.beseenonabike.com/shopuk/images/vissi_cover.jpg

so consider a high viz rucksack cover:
http://www.beseenonabike.com/shopuk/index.php?cPath=22

Chris Street
http://www.BeSeenOnABike.com

crabsallover wrote:

> Ian,
> if you dont get the rucksack of your back, the rucksack may cover up
> any fluorescent / reflective waistcoats you wear:

<snip ad>

> so consider a high viz rucksack cover:

<snip ad>

> Chris Street

<snip ad>

These regular ads for reflectives are getting suspiciously like spam.

kot

crabsallover wrote:

> Ian,
> if you dont get the rucksack of your back, the rucksack may cover up
> any fluorescent / reflective waistcoats you wear:
> http://www.beseenonabike.com/shopuk/images/vissi_cover.jpg
>
> so consider a high viz rucksack cover:
> http://www.beseenonabike.com/shopuk/index.php?cPath=22
>
> Chris Street
> http://www.BeSeenOnABike.com
>
> Ian B. wrote:
> > Anyone have suggestions for the best way to carry a rucksack on a bike?
> > It does really need to be a rucksack as I have to carry it round all
> > day. One idea I've seen is to attach a wire basket to the rear rack with
> > some cable ties, or a basket on the front but that might get in the way
> > a bit.
> >
> > I do 16 miles with it each day and it's fairly heavy, so getting it off
> > my back would surely be a good thing.
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions,
> > Ian

On 18 Dec 2005 02:10:01 -0800, "crabsallover"
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>http://www.BeSeenOnABike.com

Which includes in its aims:

"to campaign for legislation for compulsory use of cycle helmets &
bells"

It also mirrors the ludicrous and offensive Cyclesense "x-ray"
pictures.

Any cycle "safety" group which pursues the one thing most proven to
/reduce/ numbers cycling which is in turn the one thing proven to
/reduce/ cyclist injuries, has clearly not looked into the matter in
any great details.

So I'd ask what the evidential basis is for their claims that high-vis
clothign improves safety. Citations from reputable peer-reviewed
sources, obviously, just reposting other people's assertions is not
enough.

When they've done that they can follow up with the same data for
helmets and lights.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On 18 Dec 2005 02:10:01 -0800, "crabsallover"
> <[email protected]> said in
> <[email protected]>:
>
>> http://www.BeSeenOnABike.com

> Which includes in its aims:
>
> "to campaign for legislation for compulsory use of cycle helmets &
> bells"
>
> It also mirrors the ludicrous and offensive Cyclesense "x-ray"
> pictures.
>
> Any cycle "safety" group which pursues the one thing most proven to
> /reduce/ numbers cycling which is in turn the one thing proven to
> /reduce/ cyclist injuries, has clearly not looked into the matter in
> any great details.
>
> So I'd ask what the evidential basis is for their claims that high-vis
> clothign improves safety. Citations from reputable peer-reviewed
> sources, obviously, just reposting other people's assertions is not
> enough.

Maybe a letter to their Patron, a certain Adam Hart Davis, is in order.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham