Carrying Aikido gear

D.M. Procida

Guest
For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
(wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way of
carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre

D.M. Procida wrote:
> For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
> (wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way of
> carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

Have you tried strapping them alongside the top tube, one on either
side? I've just been and tried holding my own boken next to the top
tube of an upright bike, you might find that they stick out a bit at the
front of the bike but I think it ought to work OK.

I *think* I've actually carried a boken and a jo in the same way myself,
but it would have been a long time ago. I gave up aikido 10 years ago
after injuring my back playing judo.

D.M. Procida wrote:
> For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
> (wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way
> of carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

As Danny says, along the top tube.
My son uses a couple of velcro straps for exactly this purpose.
--
Cheerful Pedalling
John Mallard

On Mon, D.M. Procida <[email protected]> wrote:

> For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
> (wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way of
> carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

You can get (could get?) fork-mounted spring-loaded clips for carrying
a hockey-stick. My best friend had one when we were hockey-players.
While it sounds dodgy, he didn't kill himself using it...

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:23:22 +0100,
[email protected] (D.M. Procida) wrote
(more or less):

>For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
>(wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way of
>carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

Try upright in a rear pannier. I do this with baby buggies, fencing
swords, and bo-ken.

I haven't tried with a jo, tho', so it would depend ho deep the
panniers are. (You need the top of the pannier to be able to reach
more than half-way up the object.)

--
Cheers,
Euan

D.M. Procida [email protected] opined the
following...
> For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
> (wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way of
> carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

Strapped to your back inna Ninja Turtle stylee? Also makes them easy to
access in the advent of a SMIDSY!

Jon

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:23:22 +0100,
[email protected] (D.M. Procida) wrote:

>For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
>(wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way of
>carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

Top tube, Shirley?

Find a couple of bits of velcro/rubber band/whatever and fix both
straight along the top tube. I don't know how thick they are, but even
if they're quite chunky the worst of it would mean cycling with one
thigh slightly further out than normal... would that be practical for
the distance to your dojo (is that what you call it?)

I've done similar with fishing rods and it worked out okay.

If that is no good, how about simply slinging them across your back,
in a Robin Hood stylee
--

"Bob"

'The people have spoken, the bastards'

Email address is spam trapped.
To reply directly remove the beverage.

D.M. Procida wrote:

> For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
> (wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way of
> carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

I've cycled a few miles carrying a 12'10" oar in one hand. But strapping
those items to the top tube might be better. Alternatively, how about
strapping them to your back (eg sticking out of a rucksac)?

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:07:43 +0100, "John Mallard" <not_me@all> wrote:

>D.M. Procida wrote:
>> For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
>> (wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way
>> of carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?
>>

>As Danny says, along the top tube.
>My son uses a couple of velcro straps for exactly this purpose.

I used to carry my jo and bokken together in a fishing rod bag which I
could then strap to the top tube. Weapons should always be in a bag of
some kind when transported in public.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:42:59 +0100, Jon Senior wrote:

> Strapped to your back inna Ninja Turtle stylee? Also makes them easy to
> access in the advent of a SMIDSY!

I used to do that in Italy, with boken only - I had a nice rucksack with
an external mesh of elastic wire, and the boken fit perfectly there
(stopped by the handguard). Never tried with the jo though, it would have
slipped through

--
Understanding is a three-edged sword
Ambassador Kosh, Babylon 5

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:23:22 +0100,
[email protected] (D.M. Procida) () wrote:

>For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
>(wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way of
>carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

I used to carry mine (1st kyu Tomiki-ryu, but I was fit then!) either
in a bag slung across my back (awkward, but possible for short hops)
or lashed to the cross-bar.

HTH.
--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ

Call me Bob wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:23:22 +0100,
> [email protected] (D.M. Procida) wrote:
>
>> For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
>> (wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible
>> way of carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

> Top tube, Shirley?
>
> Find a couple of bits of velcro/rubber band/whatever and fix both
> straight along the top tube.

Toe straps, man, toe straps! (Thinks: surely /every/ cyclist has at least
three old pairs of toe straps lying around somewhere in the darkest recesses
of The Shed?)

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Toe straps, man, toe straps! (Thinks: surely /every/ cyclist has at least
> three old pairs of toe straps lying around somewhere in the darkest recesses
> of The Shed?)

I was thinking about this at the weekend. Eventually the bit by the
buckle corrodes or fatigues and so the toe-strap is rendered useless.
Can you still buy new toe-straps?

I converted to SPDs about four years ago when I broke a toe-clip, and
the guy in the bike shop said "what's a toe-clip, Grandad?"

Mike K Smith wrote:

> I converted to SPDs about four years ago when I broke a toe-clip, and
> the guy in the bike shop said "what's a toe-clip, Grandad?"

Correct answer being "something you can use without having to change
into contrived shoes first, sonny" ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Mike K Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

: I was thinking about this at the weekend. Eventually the bit by the
: buckle corrodes or fatigues and so the toe-strap is rendered useless.
: Can you still buy new toe-straps?

Yes. Most shops do cheap nylon ones. The shop at the track in Manchester
still sells really nice leather ones from the trackies there.

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

D.M. Procida <[email protected]> wrote:

> For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
> (wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way of
> carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

I used to fix my Kendo sword (120 cm) on the top tube with two velcros.
HTH

--
Cheers,
Bo

"Bo-En Lo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1gj0tp1.5hwsp6329ke8N%[email protected]...
> D.M. Procida <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
> > (wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way of
> > carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

> I used to fix my Kendo sword (120 cm) on the top tube with two velcros.

I think this should be given wider publicity.

If you feel like pissingoff a cyclist check his top tube first!

D.M. Procida wrote:
> For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
> (wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way
> of carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

Put the gear on your head, wind up with a jumbo elastic band, release the
band and fly off to the meeting like a helicopter. (You will need
toeclips or clipless pedals).

Surely the most sensible suggestion yet, no?

~PB

Pete Biggs <pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

> D.M. Procida wrote:
> > For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
> > (wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way
> > of carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

> Put the gear on your head, wind up with a jumbo elastic band, release the
> band and fly off to the meeting like a helicopter. (You will need
> toeclips or clipless pedals).

I'm afraid that my head is incompatible with my elastic bands.

Daniele
--

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:23:22 +0100, D.M. Procida wrote:

> For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
> (wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way of
> carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

Another vote for strapping them along the crossbar on an upright. On the
trike my weapons bag fits diagonally from the rack down under the seat
to rest against the seat casting.

For a strap I use one of those narrow webbing widgets from a camping shop
- they look like 2 metre long toestraps. Dogi and hakama go into panniers,
along with tanto and licence. I have a very tolerant sensei who doesn't
mind the occasional crease... ;)

Liz
:)
--