Carrying Aikido gear

In article <1gizikk.cjsvoa1razfy8N%[email protected]
>D.M. Procida <[email protected]> wrote:
>For Aikido, I carry my clothes, but also jo (117cm) and boken (104cm)
>(wooden staff and sword). I haven't yet come up with any sensible way of
>carrying them on a bicycle. Any suggestions?

I've ferried a jo and bokken stuck vertically in a pannier and
supported by other stuff in the pannier with the lid closed to hold
them in place. Worked fairly well at the time. It helps to have them
in their own bag so they don't slide around.

Phil