carrying bikes in cars

Jonathan Kaplan wrote: [...]The Saturn offers an eight
> foot interior length but at full list price! (stupid Saturn price fixing).[...]

The Equinox is a sibling of the Vue (same platform I believe) but with out the plastic panels. It
will be available at your Chevy dealer where you and the sales person can hammer on each other as
much as you want ;-)

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/2003/naias/05.chevrolet.equinox/05.che-
vrolet.equinox.f34.500.jpg

It is at least a year off though. By then the hatchback Mailbu may also be available.

JR

Jonathan Kaplan wrote: [...]The Saturn offers an eight
> foot interior length but at full list price! (stupid Saturn price fixing).[...]

The Equinox is a sibling of the Vue (same platform I believe) but with out the plastic panels. It
will be available at your Chevy dealer where you and the sales person can hammer on each other as
much as you want ;-)

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/2003/naias/05.chevrolet.equinox/05.che-
vrolet.equinox.f34.500.jpg

It is at least a year off though. By then the hatchback Mailbu may also be available.

JR

"Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I saw the Honda element and played with the seating. Problem No. 1. - $4000 over list price!!!
> Problem no. 2. The front olds flat back in the reclining position, but does not fold flat forward
> like the Saturn Vue. (I would hate to place a dirty bike on the front of the seat.) The Saturn
> offers an eight foot interior length but at full list price! (stupid Saturn price fixing).

Well, the VUE is a new model, so I wouldn't expect rebates. They are offering "incentives" on the
L-series: http://www.automotivedigest.com/view_art.asp?articlesID=8103

> Most SUV's don't have much cargo length and don't offer the forward flipping seat. The dumbest
> thing I saw was a Chevy Suburban with a draftmaster rack on the back carrying a Rans Stratus. Let
> me get this straight. A vehicle the size of an ocean liner that would be lucky to get 12 MPG and
> it can't fit a bike inside? Something is wrong with this picture.

Want lots and lots of interior room with decent fuel economy? Try a
Mercedes/Daimler-Chrysler/Freightliner (whew!) Sprinter:
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/48572/article.html You, four friends, and all
their Tour Easys could get around on 22 MPG.

Jeff

Jon Meinecke wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:16:42 -0600, "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The v2 fits into the hatchback by putting down the rears seatbacks and putting the passenger seat
> >forward, removing the front wheel and the seat from the
>
> The Matrix/Vibe marketing materials show an eight-foot step ladder inside the car. I presume
> my M/L Tour Easy will fit, but haven't tried it yet,-- I need to get a scrap of carpet to act
> as a slide.

Curiosity got the best of me. I went to the dealer and did a test drive
- right to my driveway. The Matrix will take a Gliss (66"WB) with just the front wheel removed. I'm
impressed.

John Riley

Jon Meinecke wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:16:42 -0600, "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The v2 fits into the hatchback by putting down the rears seatbacks and putting the passenger seat
> >forward, removing the front wheel and the seat from the
>
> The Matrix/Vibe marketing materials show an eight-foot step ladder inside the car. I presume
> my M/L Tour Easy will fit, but haven't tried it yet,-- I need to get a scrap of carpet to act
> as a slide.

Curiosity got the best of me. I went to the dealer and did a test drive
- right to my driveway. The Matrix will take a Gliss (66"WB) with just the front wheel removed. I'm
impressed.

John Riley

RE/
>A vehicle the size of an ocean liner that would be lucky to get 12 MPG and it can't fit a bike
>inside? Something is wrong with this picture.

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of space.

I've got a 'burb and carry my ATB inside it, but am shopping for a bumper rack.

Two reasons:

1) Dirt/hassle: It's a minor nuisance to wrap the bike or lay plastic over what's already back there
and occasional chunks of mud *still* find their way on to the carpet.

2) Safety/hassle: Nobody who thinks about the consequences for more than a quarter second wants that
thing hitting them in the back of the neck in a minor accident. Geeze, I just opened up a shin
doing a walking-speed endo. That means a couple of tiedown lines and wrapping them around the
frame and tying/untying them.

OTOH when it's inside and wrapped, the probablity of theft is way, way, way down...
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

RE/

John Riley wrote:

> I am a big city/small car kind of guy. I also like the security of transporting the bike inside
> the vehilce. But I have never been wild about the idea of using a 4000+ lb. minivan to transport
> myself and a 35 lb. bike. (My wife is not into this, so it is just me and my bike. Otherwise the
> van would be the way to go.)...

With the seat removed (20-30 seconds with a hex key), an Earth Cycles Dragonflyer will fit in a
1992-1995 Honda Civic [1] with no additional disassembly. [2] An Earth Cycles Sunset, RANS Rocket,
and Dual ISO 306-mm wheel Reynolds Wishbone RT will fit in the Civic with no disassembly. A medium
size TE will fit with the wheels removed. [3] There is only room left for the driver, however, as
the front passenger seat needs to be fully reclined.

[1] Built in Alliston, Ontario, Canada.
[2] Note to Tony: I figured out a better way to load the trike that takes much less time
than we took.
[3] I witnessed Bill Murphy of CRR and WISIL do this.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer

Jon Meinecke wrote:

> > bike viola! (pronounced vee oh lah!)
>
> Is that distinguished from the "bike violoncello" ? %^)
>
> Jon Meinecke ( former violist, prior to gainful employment... )

Q: What is the difference between a violin and a viola?

R: They are the same, but the violinist's head is bigger so it looks smaller.

- Unknown

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote:
> 1) Dirt/hassle: It's a minor nuisance to wrap the bike or lay plastic > over what's already back
> there and occasional chunks of mud *still* > find their way on to the carpet....

In my opinion, it is stupid to have carpet on the floor of a truck - how are you supposed to hose
it out? [1]

Sorry, I forgot, SUV's are a way to get around US federal automotive fuel economy and safety
standards, and are not intended for real work.
:(

[1] Spend 60 hours a week on a construction site in a truck, and you will learn the necessity of
using a hose to clean the floor.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:58:22 -0600, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Jon Meinecke ( former violist, prior to gainful employment... )
>
>Q: What is the difference between a violin and a viola?
>
>A: They are the same, but the violinist's head is bigger so it looks smaller.

Actually violas are the CLWB model.

- A conductor and a violist are standing in the middle of the road. Which one do you run over
first, and why?

The conductor. Business before pleasure.

- Why are viola jokes so short?

So violinists can understand them.

Jon Meinecke Bratschen Über Alles

RE/
>Sorry, I forgot, SUV's are a way to get around US federal automotive fuel economy and safety
>standards, and are not intended for real work.
:mad:

>[1] Spend 60 hours a week on a construction site in a truck, and you will learn the necessity of
> using a hose to clean the floor.

"Real work" in this case is just hauling an over-sized bod around without undue pain and suffering.
Actually, I was about to buy a WindStar until I rented one for a month to try it out. Having my shin
jammed against the dashboard just didn't cut it. The plastic roof racks didn't help any either - so
I got all in a snit and bought the Suburban.

It's not so much the carpet, but the pillows, blanket, and air mattress that I keep back there for
occasional use...that I don't want the mud on.

Periodically I think I should move to a pickup with a spray-in bed liner (I carry salt water-soaked,
sandy stuff on weekends) but the option of being able to sleep back there in a pinch plus being able
to store stuff longer than a short pickup bed brings me back to the 'burb.

I guess I *could* go to a cap, but with a crew cab I wouldn't want the full-length bed and I can't
lay down and stretch out in a short bed...

-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

Jon Meinecke wrote:

> - A conductor and a violist are standing in the middle of the road. Which one do you run over
> first, and why?
>
> The conductor. Business before pleasure....

I thought it was an oboe player, not a violist.

Q. What is an oboe?

R. The ill wind that blows no good.

Speaking of conductors:

S. What is the difference between a bull and an orchestra?

T. The bull has the horns in front and the asshole in back.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:35:45 -0600, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>Speaking of conductors:
>
>Q. What is the difference between a bull and an orchestra?
>
>A. The bull has the horns in front and the asshole in back.

What do you call a drummer who just broke up with his girlfriend?

Homeless.

What's perfect pitch? (recumbent content version)

That's when you toss a BikeE[1] into the dumpster and it lands on top of a ReBike.

Jon Meinecke

1. I own one, and have no intention of 'dumpstering' it.

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:52:52 -0600, Jon Meinecke <[email protected]> wrote:

>What do you call a drummer who just broke up with his girlfriend?

Q: What do you call a man who hangs out with musicians?
R: A drummer.

And my personal favourite:

S: What's the difference between a drum machine and a drummer?
T: You only have to punch the information into the drum machine once!

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

U own a ReBike?
------------------
news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:53:43 -0600, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>With the seat removed (20-30 seconds with a hex key), an Earth Cycles Dragonflyer will fit in a
>1992-1995 Honda Civic [1] with no additional disassembly. [2] An Earth Cycles Sunset, RANS Rocket,
>and Dual ISO 306-mm wheel Reynolds Wishbone RT will fit in the Civic with no disassembly. A medium
>size TE will fit with the wheels removed. [3] There is only room left for the driver, however, as
>the front passenger seat needs to be fully reclined.
>

>[2] Note to Tony: I figured out a better way to load the trike that takes much less time than we
> took.

Glad to hear it! It was plenty cold that day. I've noted that it has been very cold ever since I let
go of the Dragonflyer - do you suppose there's a karmic influence of some sort at work here? :)

Tony

Tony wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 03:53:43 -0600, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >[2] Note to Tony: I figured out a better way to load the trike that takes much less time than we
> > took.
>
> Glad to hear it! It was plenty cold that day. I've noted that it has been very cold ever since
> I let go of the Dragonflyer - do you suppose there's a karmic influence of some sort at work
> here? :)

Tony,

I found out that if I shift into the highest gear so the bar-ends are bent over and leave the front
seat up, the rear wheel will fit between the seats far enough for the chainrings to clear the hatch
on my Civic.

I will not venture a guess about your karma.

I am surprised no one pointed out the typographical error - the Wishbone RT I used to own of course
has dual ISO 406-mm wheels.