carrying bikes in cars

John Riley

Guest
I am a big city/small car kind of guy. I also like the security of transporting the bike inside
the vehilce. But I have never been wild about the idea of using a 4000+ lb. minivan to transport
myself and a 35
lb. bike. (My wife is not into this, so it is just me and my bike. Otherwise the van would be the
way to go.)

I have managed to get a Stratus in the back of a Focus wagon with wheels and seat off.

After a look at the NIAS, I am thinking my choices are only going to get better in the future. There
is a trend to making the right front seat fold forward until it is flat. Combined with common
folding rear seats, this makes it possible to accomodate something that is 8 feet long. Like a LWB
recumbent frame. The Matrix/Vibe and Saturn Vue already have this folding seat. The Vue's sibling,
the upcoming Chevrolet Equinox will have this feature. The upcoming 2004 Chev Malibu will have it as
well, but that won't be as interesting as a hatch back version of the Malibu to follow a year or two
later. If GM does it, I predict others will follow.

I was anxious to see the Honda Element. This is not as big as a minivan, but certainly bigger than a
Focus wagon or a Matrix. But it looks like it might be fairly easy to put a LWB bike in there with
wheels and seat on. Unfortunately all the grey plastic inside and out on this vehicle looks more
cheap and cheesy than rough and ready. I will give it a closer look when these hit Canadian dealers.

Now we just have to convince RANS to make a folding handlebar optional on their LWB bikes, something
like Cletus did on his Stratus.

John Riley

I am a big city/small car kind of guy. I also like the security of transporting the bike inside
the vehilce. But I have never been wild about the idea of using a 4000+ lb. minivan to transport
myself and a 35
lb. bike. (My wife is not into this, so it is just me and my bike. Otherwise the van would be the
way to go.)

I have managed to get a Stratus in the back of a Focus wagon with wheels and seat off.

After a look at the NIAS, I am thinking my choices are only going to get better in the future. There
is a trend to making the right front seat fold forward until it is flat. Combined with common
folding rear seats, this makes it possible to accomodate something that is 8 feet long. Like a LWB
recumbent frame. The Matrix/Vibe and Saturn Vue already have this folding seat. The Vue's sibling,
the upcoming Chevrolet Equinox will have this feature. The upcoming 2004 Chev Malibu will have it as
well, but that won't be as interesting as a hatch back version of the Malibu to follow a year or two
later. If GM does it, I predict others will follow.

I was anxious to see the Honda Element. This is not as big as a minivan, but certainly bigger than a
Focus wagon or a Matrix. But it looks like it might be fairly easy to put a LWB bike in there with
wheels and seat on. Unfortunately all the grey plastic inside and out on this vehicle looks more
cheap and cheesy than rough and ready. I will give it a closer look when these hit Canadian dealers.

Now we just have to convince RANS to make a folding handlebar optional on their LWB bikes, something
like Cletus did on his Stratus.

John Riley

> I am a big city/small car kind of guy. I also like the security of transporting the bike inside
> the vehilce. But I have never been wild about the idea of using a 4000+ lb. minivan to transport
> myself and a 35
> lb. bike.

John, You are positively 'Un-American' ;-)

> I have managed to get a Stratus in the back of a Focus wagon with wheels and seat off. ... I was
> anxious to see the Honda Element. This is not as big as a minivan, but certainly bigger than a
> Focus wagon or a Matrix. But it looks like it might be fairly easy to put a LWB bike in there with
> wheels and seat on. Unfortunately all the grey plastic inside and out on this vehicle looks more
> cheap and cheesy than rough and ready. I will give it a closer look when these hit Canadian
> dealers.

I have looked at this vehicle too. I think it has possibilities too. However, I have a 2 y.o.
minivan with 8000 miles on it. It seems unlikely that I will be purchasing one of the first year
(ore even second year) models when they are eventually put into production.

> Now we just have to convince RANS to make a folding handlebar optional on their LWB bikes,
> something like Cletus did on his Stratus.

For Sale: One slightly used RANS Flip-it stem. No offer refused.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

John Riley <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am a big city/small car kind of guy. I also like the security of transporting the bike inside
> the vehilce. But I have never been wild about the idea of using a 4000+ lb. minivan to transport
> myself and a 35
> lb. bike. (My wife is not into this, so it is just me and my bike. Otherwise the van would be the
> way to go.)
>
> John Riley

Overcrowded parking lots at 4:00 in the afternoon (in my town) are still not getting people out of
the mindset of the big wide-track line of thinking. I get enjoyment out of hearing all the doomsday
crying about gas prices jumping in 1 week, Venezualan strikes, scorched earth in Iraq, or major
concern of the day.

Off topic, but I get a warped kick out of seeing cars and bikes both mentioned in a posting!

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

> I am a big city/small car kind of guy. I also like the security of transporting the bike inside
> the vehilce. But I have never been wild about the idea of using a 4000+ lb. minivan to transport
> myself and a 35
> lb. bike.

John, You are positively 'Un-American' ;-)

> I have managed to get a Stratus in the back of a Focus wagon with wheels and seat off. ... I was
> anxious to see the Honda Element. This is not as big as a minivan, but certainly bigger than a
> Focus wagon or a Matrix. But it looks like it might be fairly easy to put a LWB bike in there with
> wheels and seat on. Unfortunately all the grey plastic inside and out on this vehicle looks more
> cheap and cheesy than rough and ready. I will give it a closer look when these hit Canadian
> dealers.

I have looked at this vehicle too. I think it has possibilities too. However, I have a 2 y.o.
minivan with 8000 miles on it. It seems unlikely that I will be purchasing one of the first year
(ore even second year) models when they are eventually put into production.

> Now we just have to convince RANS to make a folding handlebar optional on their LWB bikes,
> something like Cletus did on his Stratus.

For Sale: One slightly used RANS Flip-it stem. No offer refused.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

John Riley <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am a big city/small car kind of guy. I also like the security of transporting the bike inside
> the vehilce. But I have never been wild about the idea of using a 4000+ lb. minivan to transport
> myself and a 35
> lb. bike. (My wife is not into this, so it is just me and my bike. Otherwise the van would be the
> way to go.)
>
> John Riley

Overcrowded parking lots at 4:00 in the afternoon (in my town) are still not getting people out of
the mindset of the big wide-track line of thinking. I get enjoyment out of hearing all the doomsday
crying about gas prices jumping in 1 week, Venezualan strikes, scorched earth in Iraq, or major
concern of the day.

Off topic, but I get a warped kick out of seeing cars and bikes both mentioned in a posting!

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

John:

Since you are in Canada my suggestion is to find a used VW Transporter Diesel. These front wheel
drive mid-size vans were sold in Canada from 1992 until 1997. Basically the same body as the VW
Eurovan but no rear seats or side windows other than an optional window on the sliding door. The
lack of windows will give your recumbent the highest level of security and the 5-cyclinder 2.4 litre
diesel engine returns fairly good fuel economy, better than any minivan sold in the US. I don't know
what it weighs but it is about as long as the long version of a US minivan but narrower and taller.
It was designed for use in congested European cities. You should be able to find one fairly cheap.
I've seen them at www.autotrader.ca.

BTW, how far do you have to transport your recumbent? Does the subway system in Toronto allow bikes
on board? Here in the San Francisco Bay Area the BART system allows cycles of all types as long as
they aren't motorised. I've taken tricycles, a Gold Rush and a Double Vision on the BART trains
though not at the same time. I will only use a motor vehicle if the ride I'm going to doesn't start
within reasonable riding distance of a BART station and most of my local bike club's rides do start
near BART stations and for those that don't they highly recommend carpooling.

Zach Kaplan

> [...]

> Vue's sibling, the upcoming Chevrolet Equinox will have this feature. The upcoming 2004 Chev
> Malibu will have it as well, but that won't be as interesting as a hatch back version of the
> Malibu to follow a year or two later. If GM does it, I predict others will follow.
>
> I was anxious to see the Honda Element. This is not as big as a minivan, but certainly bigger than
> a Focus wagon or a Matrix. But it looks like it might be fairly easy to put a LWB bike in there
> with wheels and seat on. Unfortunately all the grey plastic inside and out on this vehicle looks
> more cheap and cheesy than rough and ready. I will give it a closer look when these hit Canadian
> dealers.
>
> Now we just have to convince RANS to make a folding handlebar optional on their LWB bikes,
> something like Cletus did on his Stratus.

RE/
>I am a big city/small car kind of guy. I also like the security of transporting the bike inside the
>vehilce. But I have never been wild about the idea of using a 4000+ lb. minivan

Whatever you use, keep in mind the image of that bike hitting you or your passenger in the back of
the neck at 35-40 mph when you have an otherwise-minor accident.

I don't know what the solution is, but, IMHO, there's definately a problem there.
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

RE/
>I am a big city/small car kind of guy. I also like the security of transporting the bike inside the
>vehilce. But I have never been wild about the idea of using a 4000+ lb. minivan

Whatever you use, keep in mind the image of that bike hitting you or your passenger in the back of
the neck at 35-40 mph when you have an otherwise-minor accident.

I don't know what the solution is, but, IMHO, there's definately a problem there.
-----------------------
Pete Cresswell

vee oh lah? Isn't that an instrument found in the string section of a Symphony Orchestra? In Canada
we spell it Voila....vwa lah (as in Shezam or Holy Sh*t).

As for carrying a bent, why not use a roof rack, bungee the frame to the rack, lay the bent flat on
foam rubber and wrap a tarp over it.

Joshua Goldberg wrote:

> As for carrying a bent, why not use a roof rack, bungee the frame to the rack, lay the bent flat
> on foam rubber and wrap a tarp over it.

That sounds more like a sculpture technique than a way to haul a bike. The final touch would be to
drive down the freeway at 120 kph for awhile and then see what was left of it all.

Anyway, I have certainly used racks, and may well again, but when road tripping I am not interested
in having to haul the bike into a hotel every night. For better or worse my willingness for risk
includes leaving a bike in a locked vehicle overnight, but does not include leaving a bike on a roof
rack overnight.

John Riley

Joshua Goldberg wrote:

> As for carrying a bent, why not use a roof rack, bungee the frame to the rack, lay the bent flat
> on foam rubber and wrap a tarp over it.

That sounds more like a sculpture technique than a way to haul a bike. The final touch would be to
drive down the freeway at 120 kph for awhile and then see what was left of it all.

Anyway, I have certainly used racks, and may well again, but when road tripping I am not interested
in having to haul the bike into a hotel every night. For better or worse my willingness for risk
includes leaving a bike in a locked vehicle overnight, but does not include leaving a bike on a roof
rack overnight.

John Riley

I saw the Honda element and played with the seating. Problem No. 1. - $4000 over list price!!!
Problem no. 2. The front olds flat back in the reclining position, but does not fold flat forward
like the Saturn Vue. (I would hate to place a dirty bike on the front of the seat.) The Saturn
offers an eight foot interior length but at full list price! (stupid Saturn price fixing).

Most SUV's don't have much cargo length and don't offer the forward flipping seat. The dumbest thing
I saw was a Chevy Suburban with a draftmaster rack on the back carrying a Rans Stratus. Let me get
this straight. A vehicle the size of an ocean liner that would be lucky to get 12 MPG and it can't
fit a bike inside? Something is wrong with this picture.

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:16:42 -0600, "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The v2 fits into the hatchback by putting down the rears seatbacks and putting the passenger seat
>forward, removing the front wheel and the seat from the

The Matrix/Vibe marketing materials show an eight-foot step ladder inside the car. I presume my M/L
Tour Easy will fit, but haven't tried it yet,-- I need to get a scrap of carpet to act as a slide.

> bike viola! (pronounced vee oh lah!)

Is that distinguished from the "bike violoncello" ? %^)

Jon Meinecke ( former violist, prior to gainful employment... )

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 12:16:42 -0600, "Rich Westerman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The v2 fits into the hatchback by putting down the rears seatbacks and putting the passenger seat
>forward, removing the front wheel and the seat from the

The Matrix/Vibe marketing materials show an eight-foot step ladder inside the car. I presume my M/L
Tour Easy will fit, but haven't tried it yet,-- I need to get a scrap of carpet to act as a slide.

> bike viola! (pronounced vee oh lah!)

Is that distinguished from the "bike violoncello" ? %^)

Jon Meinecke ( former violist, prior to gainful employment... )

I taught my bike how to sleep outside in a rack....and my cat doesn't know the house is hollow...