Carrying enough water - how to?

Julesh

Guest
Over the past few warm days I've started suffering from dehydration as
I've not been able to carry enough water on my road bike. I carry tools,
spare tube, banana etc in my shirt pocket etc and have a holder with a
750ml bottle on the down tube, but don't have mountings on the seat tube
for another and carry a frame pump there anyway.

I don't have any luggage carrying capacity on this bike so a pannier or
frame pack isn't an option. The result of this is that I have to keep
stopping to buy water (there being no drinking fountains or useful
natural springs where I tend to be.) What does everyone else do - I
realise I could buy a camelback but would prefer not to have anything on
my back. Is it possible to get a bottle carrier that fits under the down
tube, I thinking that putting a 2 litre mineral water bottle there (my
frame is large enough that it isn't going to get in the way as far as I
can see) has anyone else done this? Is there something I can buy to do
this or so I need to make my own. Are there any reasons why this would
not be a good idea?

Julesh

In article <h1%[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Over the past few warm days I've started suffering from dehydration as
> I've not been able to carry enough water on my road bike. 8<

You can get 1 litre bottles, but the extra quarter litre prolly won't
make much difference.
I have a Tacx thingy, attached on the rails, under the seat, where it's
possible to attach 2 further bottle carriers;
http://www.tacx.nl/media/T6202_zadelklem_192x144_g.jpg.

I've also seen a handlebar attachment, I can't remember where, maybe
Wiggle.

--
Mike

Julesh wrote:
> Over the past few warm days

Wait two days it will be freezing cold again and you will have no need
of extra water bottles. :eek:)

--
yours S

Julesh wrote:
> Over the past few warm days I've started suffering from dehydration as
> I've not been able to carry enough water on my road bike. I carry tools,
> spare tube, banana etc in my shirt pocket etc and have a holder with a
> 750ml bottle on the down tube, but don't have mountings on the seat tube
> for another and carry a frame pump there anyway.
>
> I don't have any luggage carrying capacity on this bike so a pannier or
> frame pack isn't an option. The result of this is that I have to keep
> stopping to buy water (there being no drinking fountains or useful
> natural springs where I tend to be.) What does everyone else do - I
> realise I could buy a camelback but would prefer not to have anything on
> my back. Is it possible to get a bottle carrier that fits under the down
> tube, I thinking that putting a 2 litre mineral water bottle there (my
> frame is large enough that it isn't going to get in the way as far as I
> can see) has anyone else done this? Is there something I can buy to do
> this or so I need to make my own. Are there any reasons why this would
> not be a good idea?
>

> Julesh

I don't like backpacks either. How about a belt or waist pack?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/mizuno performance waterbelt.jpg

Failing that, make up some velcro straps and strap one or more bottles
to the frame somewhere?

One of my bikes has two bottle cages, so it has a head start on the road
bike.

--
Chris

Julesh wrote:
> Over the past few warm days I've started suffering from dehydration as
> I've not been able to carry enough water on my road bike. I carry
> tools, spare tube, banana etc in my shirt pocket etc and have a
> holder with a 750ml bottle on the down tube, but don't have
> mountings on the seat tube for another and carry a frame pump there
> anyway.

Zefal/Truflo HPX or similar pump can go under the top tube, if you have a
top tube, using a clip-on peg or a cable tie around the head tube to act
as a peg.

Zefal "Gizmo" clip-on adapters allow a bottle cage to be mounted to a
frame tube without braze-on mounts.

> I don't have any luggage carrying capacity on this bike so a pannier
> or frame pack isn't an option.

A small bottle of water would fit one of the larger under-saddle wedge
bags, that just about any bike can take. There are also special
behind-saddle bottle cages that some triathletes use.

> The result of this is that I have to
> keep stopping to buy water (there being no drinking fountains or
> useful natural springs where I tend to be.) What does everyone else
> do - I realise I could buy a camelback but would prefer not to have
> anything on my back. Is it possible to get a bottle carrier that fits
> under the down tube, I thinking that putting a 2 litre mineral
> water bottle there (my frame is large enough that it isn't going to
> get in the way as far as I can see) has anyone else done this? Is
> there something I can buy to do this or so I need to make my own. Are
> there any reasons why this would not be a good idea?

Some touring cyclists put a bottle there. It will get very dirty, though,
especially on a bike without mudgaurds.

~PB

soup wrote:
> Julesh wrote:
>
>>Over the past few warm days

> Wait two days it will be freezing cold again and you will have no need
> of extra water bottles. :eek:)

I know, but often I'm in Italy where its like this quite a lot of the
summer - although often water is easier to find as most villages have a
public tap.

julesh

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Julesh wrote:
>
>>Over the past few warm days I've started suffering from dehydration as
>>I've not been able to carry enough water on my road bike. I carry
>>tools, spare tube, banana etc in my shirt pocket etc and have a
>>holder with a 750ml bottle on the down tube, but don't have
>>mountings on the seat tube for another and carry a frame pump there
>>anyway.

> Zefal/Truflo HPX or similar pump can go under the top tube, if you have a
> top tube, using a clip-on peg or a cable tie around the head tube to act
> as a peg.

I hadn't thoght of that!

> Zefal "Gizmo" clip-on adapters allow a bottle cage to be mounted to a
> frame tube without braze-on mounts.
>

>>I don't have any luggage carrying capacity on this bike so a pannier
>>or frame pack isn't an option.

> A small bottle of water would fit one of the larger under-saddle wedge
> bags, that just about any bike can take. There are also special
> behind-saddle bottle cages that some triathletes use.

I need lots as I get very thirsty. Behind the saddle might be a solution.

>>The result of this is that I have to
>>keep stopping to buy water (there being no drinking fountains or
>>useful natural springs where I tend to be.) What does everyone else
>>do - I realise I could buy a camelback but would prefer not to have
>>anything on my back. Is it possible to get a bottle carrier that fits
>>under the down tube, I thinking that putting a 2 litre mineral
>>water bottle there (my frame is large enough that it isn't going to
>> get in the way as far as I can see) has anyone else done this? Is
>>there something I can buy to do this or so I need to make my own. Are
>>there any reasons why this would not be a good idea?

> Some touring cyclists put a bottle there. It will get very dirty, though,
> especially on a bike without mudgaurds.

Its really only on hot/dry days I really need to do this so I guess it
won't be a problem for me.

Thanks

Julesh

In message <h1%[email protected]>, Julesh
<[email protected]> writes
>Over the past few warm days I've started suffering from dehydration as
>I've not been able to carry enough water on my road bike.
>
>I don't have any luggage carrying capacity on this bike so a pannier or
>frame pack isn't an option.

A Carradice SQR mount and one of their bags which mounts on the seat
post
>The result of this is that I have to keep stopping to buy water (there
>being no drinking fountains or useful natural springs where I tend to
>be.) What does everyone else do

I carry two 750ml bottles in two bottle cages (down and seat tube), but
as I usually have a bag on hot days I might carry extra water. But when
I'm out and need to get more water I just ask at a house for a fill up
(I'm normally riding in rural areas). I've never been refused, though
occasionally people are a little surprised. sometimes I've been offered
bits of cake, biscuits etc. as well. Of course 2 bottles helps here as
once one has gone I've got time to look out for some where suitable.

> putting a 2 litre mineral water bottle there (my frame is large
>enough that it isn't going to get in the way as far as I can see) has
>anyone else done this? Is there something I can buy to do this

Indeed there is:

<http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/>

--
Chris French

Julesh <[email protected]> wrote:

> Over the past few warm days I've started suffering from dehydration as
> I've not been able to carry enough water on my road bike.

Remember that you need to keep your electrolytes balanced if you are
drinking lots or water and sweating a lot.

i.e. make sure that you get enough salt and potasium (that banana).

Martin.

--
Typed by monkey #27662472869676 on typewriter #7552416572242
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

"Julesh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:h1%[email protected]...
> Over the past few warm days I've started suffering from dehydration as
> I've not been able to carry enough water on my road bike. I carry tools,
> spare tube, banana etc in my shirt pocket etc and have a holder with a
> 750ml bottle on the down tube, but don't have mountings on the seat tube
> for another and carry a frame pump there anyway.

I use a Topeak Fixer 1A from www.wiggle.co.uk to fit a seat pack to the
seatpost, it also has threaded insrts for a bottle cage, from their site:

"mounts to seat post below saddle
allows quick and secure attatchment of Topeak wedge bags or an extra bottle
cage
durable injection moulded nylon construction
stainless steel seatpost clamp
fits most seat posts
70g"

--
Pete
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/P

('[email protected]') wrote:

> Over the past few warm days I've started suffering from dehydration as
> I've not been able to carry enough water on my road bike. I carry
> tools,
> spare tube, banana etc in my shirt pocket etc and have a holder with
> a 750ml bottle on the down tube, but don't have mountings on the seat
> tube for another and carry a frame pump there anyway.
>
> I don't have any luggage carrying capacity on this bike so a pannier
> or frame pack isn't an option. The result of this is that I have to
> keep stopping to buy water.

My favourite mountain bike has a bottle carrier under the down-tube.
Being a mountain bike the bottle gets filthy, but what I tend to do is
drink from the top bottle until it is empty, then swap the bottles and,
at the same time, swap the lids, so that the bottle in the upper cage
always has a clean lid. You can also get bottles with a sort of spring
loaded cover, but as it's impossible to get the bottle out of the
bottom cage while on the move this seems a bit unnecessary. Make sure
that the positioning of the cage does not cause the bottle to interfere
with the front wheel.

You can also get waist packs which hold two water bottles, and you used
to be able to get double bottle cages which mounted to the back of the
seat-post - I'm not sure whether these are still available.

((DoctorWho)ChristopherEccleston).act();
uk.co.bbc.TypecastException: actor does not want to be typecast.
[adapted from autofile on /., 31/03/05]

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <h1%[email protected]>, Julesh
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>>Over the past few warm days I've started suffering from dehydration as
>>I've not been able to carry enough water on my road bike. I carry
>>tools,
>>spare tube, banana etc in my shirt pocket etc and have a holder with
>>a 750ml bottle on the down tube, but don't have mountings on the seat
>>tube for another and carry a frame pump there anyway.
>>
>>I don't have any luggage carrying capacity on this bike so a pannier
>>or frame pack isn't an option. The result of this is that I have to
>>keep stopping to buy water.

> My favourite mountain bike has a bottle carrier under the down-tube.
> Being a mountain bike the bottle gets filthy, but what I tend to do is
> drink from the top bottle until it is empty, then swap the bottles and,
> at the same time, swap the lids, so that the bottle in the upper cage
> always has a clean lid. You can also get bottles with a sort of spring
> loaded cover, but as it's impossible to get the bottle out of the
> bottom cage while on the move this seems a bit unnecessary. Make sure
> that the positioning of the cage does not cause the bottle to interfere
> with the front wheel.
>
> You can also get waist packs which hold two water bottles, and you used
> to be able to get double bottle cages which mounted to the back of the
> seat-post - I'm not sure whether these are still available.

Thanks. I've had a pointer to something that allows you to put bottles
behind the saddle and I've seen some very old photos that show bottle
cages on the handlebars so I guess that's an option too. Under the down
tube was my favoured option so I'll work on that. I asked because I've
never noticed anyone doing it and wondered if there was some subtle
problem with the idea that I was too thick to see. It would be nice if
there was something that would take two bottles (side by side) or a two
litre mineral water bottle.

(Thinks some more) If I used a two litre bottle could I run a piece of
plastic tubing up to the bars so I could use it like some kind of bike
mounted Camelback (a warthog belly?) or would the amount of suction
needed to raise water that far be likely to cause me to fall off through
lack of oxygen to the brain before the water got there? Is it possible
to place some kind of non-return valve on the mouthpiece so once I've
dragged the water up there it doesn't all go back down again once I
stop sucking? I realise the answer to my first question might be a "how
long is a piece of plastic tubing"/"What's your lung function" question
but has anyone tried this or feels like calculating it from first
principles[1].

<Professor Brainstorm> Those noisy Airzound things - don't they work
using pressure stored in a plastic bottle? Would it be possible to
combine the two functions in one bottle and use the air pumped into the
bottle to either sound the horn, or assist in forcing water up to the
mouthpiece </Professor Brainstorm>

Julesh

[1] Probably the latter in this group :)

in message <[email protected]>, Julesh
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> in message <h1%[email protected]>, Julesh
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>>>Over the past few warm days I've started suffering from dehydration
>>>as I've not been able to carry enough water on my road bike. I carry
>>>tools,
>>>spare tube, banana etc in my shirt pocket etc and have a holder with
>>>a 750ml bottle on the down tube, but don't have mountings on the seat
>>>tube for another and carry a frame pump there anyway.

>> My favourite mountain bike has a bottle carrier under the down-tube.
>> Being a mountain bike the bottle gets filthy, but what I tend to do
>> is drink from the top bottle until it is empty, then swap the bottles
>> and, at the same time, swap the lids, so that the bottle in the upper
>> cage always has a clean lid.

> Thanks. I've had a pointer to something that allows you to put bottles
> behind the saddle and I've seen some very old photos that show bottle
> cages on the handlebars so I guess that's an option too. Under the
> down
> tube was my favoured option so I'll work on that. I asked because
> I've never noticed anyone doing it and wondered if there was some
> subtle
> problem with the idea that I was too thick to see. It would be nice
> if there was something that would take two bottles (side by side)

Not under the downtube, because of fitting between the cranks.

> or a two litre mineral water bottle.

That might work.

> (Thinks some more) If I used a two litre bottle could I run a piece of
> plastic tubing up to the bars so I could use it like some kind of bike
> mounted Camelback (a warthog belly?) or would the amount of suction
> needed to raise water that far be likely to cause me to fall off
> through lack of oxygen to the brain before the water got there?

No, I used to do that, using the tubing they sell for car windscreen
washers. It isn't difficult and doesn't take much suction. The downside
is sterilising the tube; I used to do it by filling a container with
boiling water and then siphoning it /out/ through the tube. It works,
but it isn't as easy as just grabbing a bottle from a cage.

;; Diplomacy, American: see Intelligence, Military

Julesh <[email protected]> wrote:

: I've seen some very old photos that show bottle
: cages on the handlebars so I guess that's an option too. Under the down
: tube was my favoured option so I'll work on that.

It's a bad option. There's a reason people don't do it any more - 2kg of water
on the bars tends to bugger the handling.

I'm with Pete here. Move the pump, get some bottle cage mounts and fit another
bottle. You really need to have two bottle cages on the bike *before* you start
thinking about all the more exotic options.

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

mb <[email protected]> of No thanks wrote:
>You can get 1 litre bottles, but the extra quarter litre prolly won't
>make much difference.

Where from please? My bike has 2 bottle cages, and my existing bottles are
only 650ml, so carrying 2 litres instead of 1.3 would be worth while.
--
Cleverness is serviceable for everything, sufficient for nothing.
Henri-Frederic Amiel

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected]lid says...
> mb <[email protected]> of No thanks wrote:
> >You can get 1 litre bottles, but the extra quarter litre prolly won't
> >make much difference.

> Where from please? My bike has 2 bottle cages, and my existing bottles are
> only 650ml, so carrying 2 litres instead of 1.3 would be worth while.

Ah well, I got mine from the LBS, which is in Holland...
I would have thought they were generally available, as they are Isostar
labelled bottles.
If you can find an Isostar stockist, then I think you'll find the
bottles.

--
Mike

Minoura do a special mount for pop bottles nominally up to 1.5l but you
can fit on some 2l ones just about.I use one of those and a zefal band
on with normal bottle cage for long sunday runs or remote
countryside.Look at the usual web shops for them.Or put a pop bottle on
a rack or saddle bag to top up your bidon.

TerryJ

Actually you could go even further, and ,by directing the tube to the
rear , release a powerful jet of water to provide amazing acceleration
for that sprint finish.

TerryJ

Steph Peters wrote:
> mb <[email protected]> of No thanks wrote:
>> You can get 1 litre bottles, but the extra quarter litre prolly won't
>> make much difference.

> Where from please? My bike has 2 bottle cages, and my existing
> bottles are only 650ml, so carrying 2 litres instead of 1.3 would be
> worth while.

I was in EBC last week and saw this:
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=19818
(hope the link works)
It's an adjustable bottle cage and it looks like it takes quite big bottles.

--
Mark
Too lazy to sort out a propper sig.

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Julesh <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : I've seen some very old photos that show bottle
> : cages on the handlebars so I guess that's an option too. Under the down
> : tube was my favoured option so I'll work on that.
>
> It's a bad option. There's a reason people don't do it any more - 2kg of water
> on the bars tends to bugger the handling.
>
> I'm with Pete here. Move the pump, get some bottle cage mounts and fit another
> bottle. You really need to have two bottle cages on the bike *before* you start
> thinking about all the more exotic options.

Surely I can think about it? :) I was hoping to be able to carry more
than two litres which I think is the most I can do with the largest
available bottles in two bottle cages. This might seem an unusual
request but when I'm out in Italy I sometimes ride the 8 km from the
local town (at 150m ASL) to where we stay (at 580m ASL), and while most
of the route is pleasantly wooded which means I don't need to do it in
sunshine I find I do need to replace quite a lot of fluids on the way.

There is also a very nice 42km Mountain bike route that goes from the
town, up and down a few hills and up to a pass at 1105m, from where it
is thankfully all downhill, which I'd like to do sometime too.

Julesh