Carrying enough water - how to?

the.Mark wrote:
> Steph Peters wrote:
>
>>mb <[email protected]> of No thanks wrote:
>>
>>>You can get 1 litre bottles, but the extra quarter litre prolly won't
>>>make much difference.

>>Where from please? My bike has 2 bottle cages, and my existing
>>bottles are only 650ml, so carrying 2 litres instead of 1.3 would be
>>worth while.

> I was in EBC last week and saw this:
> http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=19818
> (hope the link works)
> It's an adjustable bottle cage and it looks like it takes quite big bottles.
>
> --
> Mark
> Too lazy to sort out a propper sig.

Thanks for the link. Two of those look like they would be good for three
litres which should be enough for me.

Julesh

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected]lid says...
> mb <[email protected]> of No thanks wrote:
> >You can get 1 litre bottles, but the extra quarter litre prolly won't
> >make much difference.

> Where from please? My bike has 2 bottle cages, and my existing bottles are
> only 650ml, so carrying 2 litres instead of 1.3 would be worth while.

Just noticed that Wiggle have some "Science in Sport" (SIS) 1 litre
bottles.

--
Mike

mb <[email protected]> of No thanks wrote:
>Just noticed that Wiggle have some "Science in Sport" (SIS) 1 litre
>bottles.

And also some Isostar ones - confusingly labelled not as picture. I've got
an Isostar smaller one and don't like the top, so I'll try the SIS version.
Thanks mb.
--
The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler
is to look at the men he has around him.

"the.Mark" <[email protected]> of BT Openworld wrote:
>I was in EBC last week and saw this:
>http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=19818
>(hope the link works)

Not without cookies, pah, spit. I'll get the Wiggle one instead.
--
The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler
is to look at the men he has around him.
Niccolo Machiavelli
Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]lid
Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm>

in message <[email protected]>, Steph Peters
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "the.Mark" <[email protected]> of BT Openworld wrote:
>>I was in EBC last week and saw this:
>>http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=19818
>>(hope the link works)

> Not without cookies, pah, spit.

OK, I've written to them again this morning, as follows. Let's see what
happens this time.

<URL:http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=edinburgh+cookies&as_ugroup=uk.rec.cycling>

<URL:http://groups-beta.google.com/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/93d3224544daa52c?hl=en>

> You could not possibly have clearer evidence that this is costing you
> business and money. Please fix it! I would very much like to go back
> to recommending you.
>
> Oh, and before saying 'it's your browser' again, I have lectured on
> Web technology on behalf of the Internet Society on every continent on
> the planet except Australasia. I have judged web competitions on
> behalf of the Internet Society. I know what I'm talking about. It /is/
> your problem. For heaven's sake fix it.
>
> With best wishes
>
> Simon

Do not sail on uphill water.
- Bill Lee

mb wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected]lid says...
>
>>mb <[email protected]> of No thanks wrote:
>>
>>>You can get 1 litre bottles, but the extra quarter litre prolly won't
>>>make much difference.

>>Where from please? My bike has 2 bottle cages, and my existing bottles are
>>only 650ml, so carrying 2 litres instead of 1.3 would be worth while.

> Ah well, I got mine from the LBS, which is in Holland...
> I would have thought they were generally available, as they are Isostar
> labelled bottles.
> If you can find an Isostar stockist, then I think you'll find the
> bottles.

I asked in *a* LBS today (not my LBS - as I wasn't local) which had lots
of different bottles on sale about the availability of one litre
bottles. They said that they didn't have any but suggested that Millets
possibly had them as those people who go out without bikes ("Walkers", I
think he called them) use them.

The shop had Isostar bottles, which were certainly looked bigger than
any bottles I have but according to the scale on the side were still
only 750ml!?

I shall investigate Millets tomorrow!

Julesh

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> of gradually deteriorating wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Steph Peters
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> "the.Mark" <[email protected]> of BT Openworld wrote:
>>>I was in EBC last week and saw this:
>>>http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=19818
>>>(hope the link works)

>> Not without cookies, pah, spit.

>OK, I've written to them again this morning, as follows. Let's see what
>happens this time.

Thanks Simon. If you are interested, I was using Opera 8.01 with cookies
set to ask, but the EBC site doesn't offer the cookie for me to say yes to,
just insists I turn cookies on.
--
Get your facts first; then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain

('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> of gradually deteriorating wrote:
>
>>in message <[email protected]>, Steph Peters
>>('[email protected]') wrote:

>>> Not without cookies, pah, spit.

>>OK, I've written to them again this morning, as follows. Let's see
>>what happens this time.

> Thanks Simon. If you are interested, I was using Opera 8.01 with
> cookies set to ask, but the EBC site doesn't offer the cookie for me
> to say yes to, just insists I turn cookies on.

And actually this is a complete red herring because cookies aren't
really the problem; the problem is that the web system expects you to
enter through a particular route, and if you don't it can't track you.
The fact that you have cookies enabled makes no difference. It's just
sloppy programming.

;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.

Julesh <[email protected]> wrote:
:>
:> I'm with Pete here. Move the pump, get some bottle cage mounts and fit another
:> bottle. You really need to have two bottle cages on the bike *before* you start
:> thinking about all the more exotic options.
:>
:>
: Surely I can think about it? :)

Well you can, but when there's a good, commonly used solution it would be foolish to
ignore it.

: I was hoping to be able to carry more
: than two litres

That's a different problem. Once you've got two bottle cages on the bike I'd suggest the
two possible solutions would be

a) a behind the saddle holder for two bottles (like tri guys use). This should hold 2x750ml
or,
b) a camelback or similar which would give you at least another two litres.

Arthur

The struggle of people against power is the struggle
of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:43:57 +0100 someone who may be Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>And actually this is a complete red herring because cookies aren't
>really the problem; the problem is that the web system expects you to
>enter through a particular route, and if you don't it can't track you.
>The fact that you have cookies enabled makes no difference. It's just
>sloppy programming.

I tried looking at their web site some years ago. They insisted I
had cookies turned on to even browse their shop. I had a two word
answer to that, the second word being off.

Cookies are useful in remembering what people are ordering, but
expecting them to be turned on when people are browsing is just an
example of arrogance.

There are plenty of other bike shops.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.