Carrying stuff on commute on Giro

Glenn Hoetker

Guest
Hi all. I have a Giro, which I dearly love, and am trying to figure out how to commute with it. I
need to be able to carry a reasonable collection of books/papers (college professor with grading to
do at home), lunch and perhaps a change of clothes.

This is my first bent (heck, with serious biking since high school), so I'm a little at sea with
even the lingo of racks, panniers, etc., much less their regular merits.

What would more experienced folks suggest? Thanks!

> Hi all. I have a Giro, which I dearly love, and am trying to figure out how to commute with it. I
> need to be able to carry a reasonable collection of books/papers (college professor with grading
> to do at home), lunch and perhaps a change of clothes.
>
> This is my first bent (heck, with serious biking since high school), so I'm a little at sea with
> even the lingo of racks, panniers, etc., much less their regular merits.
>
> What would more experienced folks suggest? Thanks!

Here is my Giro set up for touring/commuting:

http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg

And here it is before I added the X-Eyed Midship Rack. http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Giro.cfm

I have HPVelotechnik fenders from the HostelShoppe,
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=987104104 (you do not need the $50
Bacchetta kit)

A RANS HT rear Rack http://www.ransbikes.com/Racks.htm

and a Fastback Systems seat bag and hydration. http://www.fastbacksystem.com/fastbacksystem.htm

The MidShip Rack from X-eyed should be available next month. http://www.bacchettabikes.com

I use a Topeak Cellphone Pack strapped under the Monotube for a tool kit.
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=985990483

Normally, I carry only one Pannier under the seat but I can manage four now if I need the storage. I
carry work clothes, lunch and shower stuff.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

And besides the 1200 cubic yards of space on Cletus' bike already, you could add the Rans large seatback bag (fits on my Giro nicely). It is made to just unclip and carry with you if you want (it's like a large cordura briefcase).

BTW, excellent choice in bikes. Watch that pivot bolt on the steerer though, it can work loose. (Loc-Tite can fix that)

R2

Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi all. I have a Giro, which I dearly love, and am trying to figure out how to commute with it.
> > I need to be able to carry a reasonable collection of books/papers (college professor with
> > grading to do at home), lunch and perhaps a change of clothes.
> >
> > This is my first bent (heck, with serious biking since high school), so I'm a little at sea with
> > even the lingo of racks, panniers, etc., much less their regular merits.
> >
> > What would more experienced folks suggest? Thanks!
> >
> Here is my Giro set up for touring/commuting:
>
> http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg
>
> And here it is before I added the X-Eyed Midship Rack. http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Giro.cfm
>
> I have HPVelotechnik fenders from the HostelShoppe,
> http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=987104104 (you do not need the $50
> Bacchetta kit)
>
> A RANS HT rear Rack http://www.ransbikes.com/Racks.htm
>
> and a Fastback Systems seat bag and hydration. http://www.fastbacksystem.com/fastbacksystem.htm
>
> The MidShip Rack from X-eyed should be available next month. http://www.bacchettabikes.com
>
> I use a Topeak Cellphone Pack strapped under the Monotube for a tool kit.
> http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=985990483
>
> Normally, I carry only one Pannier under the seat but I can manage four now if I need the storage.
> I carry work clothes, lunch and shower stuff.

Boy....that is a great looking bike and touring gear Cletus! Have you had time to take her out
on tour yet?

In article <[email protected]>, grhodes1 @cox.net says...
> Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> > Here is my Giro set up for touring/commuting:
> >
> > http://www.clee.org/Cycling/Giro/Images/20030307GiroPanniers.jpg

> Boy....that is a great looking bike and touring gear Cletus! Have you had time to take her out
> on tour yet?

It is going on it's first self-contained tour this Spring. If I can work out the Logistics, I may do
the MS-150 Self-Contained.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

R2D2 wrote:

> it's like a large cordura briefcase

I don't know, guy. That sounds awfully heavy. And that's the main thing I have against all these
"milspec" bags. They look great, but they're overkill. I just went down to a surplus store and
bought myself a milspec laundry bag. I put a grommet in each side along the seam. I hang the bag
over the back of the seat, clipping it to the seat with large binder clips. I run a thin bungee
chord behind the seat stays clipped into the grommets.

Works great and it's light.

Replace "****" with "warnerm" in my email addr

Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message

> It is going on it's first self-contained tour this Spring. If I can work out the Logistics, I may
> do the MS-150 Self-Contained.

Cletus,

Have you considered putting an S&S coupler on your Giro and flying with it.

Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

> Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > It is going on it's first self-contained tour this Spring. If I can work out the Logistics, I
> > may do the MS-150 Self-Contained.
>
> Cletus,
>
> Have you considered putting an S&S coupler on your Giro and flying with it.
>
> Gary McCarty, Greenspeed GTO, Salt Lake City

AFAIK, S&S couplers only work on Triangulated frames and only fit round tubulars. The Giro
has neither.

My Giro flying is limited to speeding down the highway with my butt 21" off the g

- Bellaire, TX USA -