Carrying the essentials

jisk

Jan 9, 2005
So, how does everyone carry their lock, spare tube, tools, money, cellphone, etc when on a bike?

On my current bike (a hybrid) I have the lock around the handlebars, and the other stuff in a saddle pack. Even though saddle packs are uncool.

So what about everyone else? Especially hardcore roadies, because I'm getting a road bike soon and carrying my bike lock around the handlebars then won't do!

jisk said:
So, how does everyone carry their lock, spare tube, tools, money, cellphone, etc when on a bike?

On my current bike (a hybrid) I have the lock around the handlebars, and the other stuff in a saddle pack. Even though saddle packs are uncool.

So what about everyone else? Especially hardcore roadies, because I'm getting a road bike soon and carrying my bike lock around the handlebars then won't do!

What is so uncool about a small saddle pack? Certainly a lock hanging off of the handlebars is more uncool than having everything nicely tucked into a pack.

I suppose the true roadie way to do it though is to have the essentials tucked into your rear jersey pockets.

For road riding, I use a mini coil lock that fits into a jersey pocket or my aforementioned uncool saddle pack. It doesn't provide a high level of security but enough to walk into a convenience store for a couple of minutes to use the toilet or get a gatorade.

Well, I don't think saddle packs are uncool, but I've read a fair bit of animosity towards them (I can't remember if that was here or other forums).

How small is the lock you have? I have a coil lock but it is bloody big. Too big.

John M said:
What is so uncool about a small saddle pack? Certainly a lock hanging off of the handlebars is more uncool than having everything nicely tucked into a pack.

I suppose the true roadie way to do it though is to have the essentials tucked into your rear jersey pockets.

For road riding, I use a mini coil lock that fits into a jersey pocket or my aforementioned uncool saddle pack. It doesn't provide a high level of security but enough to walk into a convenience store for a couple of minutes to use the toilet or get a gatorade.

Nope: the coil lock is not secure enough. My bike was stolen in broad daylight with crowds of people around. Someone was brazen enough to watch me and when he was sure I was distracted enough he must have walked up to the bike like he owned it, clipped the lock without anyone seeing him do it, and took the helmet, gloves, glasses, lock and bike away and was long gone by the time I next went to look to see if my bike was safe. Whoever did it did not drop anything in the garbage cans nearby but must have taken the whole shebang until out of site of people.

My next bike will have a rear rack since I want to use it as a commuter bike and I'll keep lock, phone, lunch, etc. in a rack box I'll carry. On my old bike I stuffed a seat pack full with spare tube, multi-tool, tire irons, C02 inflator, patch kit and keys. My jersey kept cell phone and wallet. I had my coil lock wrapped around my stem.

So U-locks can be broken with a bic ballpoint, and coil locks aren't secure. Do you have to carry a 130kg samoan wrestler on the back of your bike to make sure it doesn't get nicked?

jisk said:
So U-locks can be broken with a bic ballpoint, and coil locks aren't secure. Do you have to carry a 130kg samoan wrestler on the back of your bike to make sure it doesn't get nicked?

Granted a few years ago Kryptonite got bad press about their circular lock that they had already been replacing because it could be picked with a Bic pen. That said, it's been years since you could find a Kryptonite lock that can be picked that way so why don't you give it a rest? Use the search engines and the internet to find all the facts you can, then come back and edit your post.

jisk said:

Small Topeak seat bag for tube, multi-tool, cash and phone. No lock for road rides, 'cuz I never get off the bike until I'm home! I never use my road bike for anything that requires an extended stay at a bike rack or light pole.

Regarding "cool" - cool is what the various marketing departments (or God forbid, that idiot 'Style Man' from Bicycling Mag) tell you is "cool". And I suspect that there is a direct relationship between the "coolness" factor and the gross profit margin that a "cool" product brings in.

Right jersey pocket: ziploc bag containing tube, spoke wrench, id and cash
Center jersey pocket: mini pump and tire lever
Left jersey pocket: gels, power bar and CELL PHONE

If I'm doing a century I'll strap on an underseat bag containing a second tube and some more food.

If I get a flat I call my wife to come and get me. The phone stays in my specialized seat bag. I hope style man has his tongue planted firmly in his cheek when he writes some of that stuff.

jisk said:
Well, I don't think saddle packs are uncool, but I've read a fair bit of animosity towards them (I can't remember if that was here or other forums).

How small is the lock you have? I have a coil lock but it is bloody big. Too big.

I use something like the following:

http://trailerandtow.com/moreinfo.php?SKU=2630

Yes, Insight Driver is correct that such a thing (even a thicker cable) can be easily cut. I am generally not parking my road bike in a high-risk location and when I do lock it up it is brief. Most rides I don't stop to lock up. So the piddly little lock is more of a deterent against the quick grab of an unlocked bike.

For my commuter bike I use a U-lock on the frame/one wheel and heavy duty cable lock for the other wheel which I carry on a rear rack.

I've never read any style articles in bike mags - just stuff on forums. I have one of those tiny specialized seat bags which works for most stuff.

John M - That lock is a good idea, I also only occasionally leave my bike and am more concerned about casual opportunists than hardcore thieves.

And Insight Driver - I see now that Kryptonite (and whatever other companies) have changed their products. No need to say so with such a nasty tone.

jisk said:
I've never read any style articles in bike mags - just stuff on forums. I have one of those tiny specialized seat bags which works for most stuff.

John M - That lock is a good idea, I also only occasionally leave my bike and am more concerned about casual opportunists than hardcore thieves.

And Insight Driver - I see now that Kryptonite (and whatever other companies) have changed their products. No need to say so with such a nasty tone.
True enough, and you could make a post that doesn't have so much dripping sarcasm in it, right enough.

Insight Driver said:
True enough, and you could make a post that doesn't have so much dripping sarcasm in it, right enough.
Yeah, you're right there. Kiwis are notoriously sarcastic.