Cars skid further on new surfaces

Pete Biggs

Guest
From yesterday's Daily Telegraph:

Vehicles are skidding longer distances on new road surfaces designed
to increase grip, according to a report by TRL, the Government's former
transport laboratory.
At worst, drivers could skid as much as 40% further on the new
surfaces. which are designed to reduce spray and noise, than on the old
ones.
According to the researchers the problem can last up to 18 months,
while the new surface beds in.

- - - - - - -
I expect this means bicycles slip over more easily as well.
~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> From yesterday's Daily Telegraph:
>
> Vehicles are skidding longer distances on new road surfaces designed
> to increase grip, according to a report by TRL, the Government's former
> transport laboratory.
> At worst, drivers could skid as much as 40% further on the new
> surfaces. which are designed to reduce spray and noise, than on the old
> ones.
> According to the researchers the problem can last up to 18 months,
> while the new surface beds in.
>
> - - - - - - -
> I expect this means bicycles slip over more easily as well.

A bit of an old story but it doesn't affect bicycles. As I recall its
because under hard braking the surface liquifies with the heat and
lubricates the interface. Bicycles don't brake hard enough.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> From yesterday's Daily Telegraph:
>
> Vehicles are skidding longer distances on new road surfaces designed
> to increase grip, according to a report by TRL, the Government's former
> transport laboratory.
> At worst, drivers could skid as much as 40% further on the new
> surfaces. which are designed to reduce spray and noise, than on the old
> ones.
> According to the researchers the problem can last up to 18 months,
> while the new surface beds in.

Yes, this story goes back to at least 2001, when police accident
investigators became suspicious of uncharacteristically long skids.

Newly surfaced roads, even motorways, often have "slippery road" signs
installed at the same time.

--
Matt B