cars sunk

Fellow cyclists may not be wholly surprised at the motorist behaviour
reported at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4867880.stm

'Severe flooding on a bank of the River Thames has led to numerous cars
ending up in a watery grave. Julie Newens, who runs a boat hire and
repair firm on Putney Embankment in London, said drivers ignored
warning signs. Mrs Newens and her husband Chas warn motorists of the
dangers, but said they are often ignored.

"Chas will tell someone not to park there and the drivers can be quite
rude. When they come back and see their car has floated away they blame
us and say we have pushed it in when we haven't touched it."

Interesting to see that some drivers go into imbecile mode when dealing
with boaters as well as with us.

Jon

[email protected] wrote:

>Fellow cyclists may not be wholly surprised at the motorist behaviour
>reported at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4867880.stm
>
>'Severe flooding on a bank of the River Thames has led to numerous cars
>ending up in a watery grave. Julie Newens, who runs a boat hire and
>repair firm on Putney Embankment in London, said drivers ignored
>warning signs. Mrs Newens and her husband Chas warn motorists of the
>dangers, but said they are often ignored.
>
>"Chas will tell someone not to park there and the drivers can be quite
>rude. When they come back and see their car has floated away they blame
>us and say we have pushed it in when we haven't touched it."
>
>Interesting to see that some drivers go into imbecile mode when dealing
>with boaters as well as with us.

He he. :) It might help if the signs said /tidal/ flooding. IIRC they
just say this road liable to flooding or something like that and
people think, "It hasn't rained I'll be OK."

Phil Cook wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Fellow cyclists may not be wholly surprised at the motorist behaviour
>> reported at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4867880.stm
>>
>> 'Severe flooding on a bank of the River Thames has led to numerous
>> cars ending up in a watery grave. Julie Newens, who runs a boat hire
>> and repair firm on Putney Embankment in London, said drivers ignored
>> warning signs. Mrs Newens and her husband Chas warn motorists of the
>> dangers, but said they are often ignored.
>>
>> "Chas will tell someone not to park there and the drivers can be
>> quite rude. When they come back and see their car has floated away
>> they blame us and say we have pushed it in when we haven't touched
>> it."
>>
>> Interesting to see that some drivers go into imbecile mode when
>> dealing with boaters as well as with us.

> He he. :) It might help if the signs said /tidal/ flooding. IIRC they
> just say this road liable to flooding or something like that and
> people think, "It hasn't rained I'll be OK."

There are warning signs along the shore road at Bosham in West Sussex that
state "This road flood at _every_ high tide." Doesn't stop drivers parking
there and returning to flooded cars. Many photos on the walls of the Anchor
Bleu (the only pub in Britain with a watertight bulkhead door) feature
flooded cars in the car park behind.

Phil Cook wrote:

> He he. :) It might help if the signs said /tidal/ flooding. IIRC they
> just say this road liable to flooding or something like that and
> people think, "It hasn't rained I'll be OK."

Seeing large boats on dry land should be a clue that the tide is low. Or
do motorists not think of such things ;-)

~PB

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:47:34 +0100, "MatSav" <matthew | dot | savage |
at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com> wrote:

>No it isn't. The City Barge at Strand-on-the-Green, Kew also has one to
>protect from the Thames.
>http://ultimatepubguide.com/pubs/info.phtml?pub_id=428

What an excellent pub review.

"Bob"

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> He he. :) It might help if the signs said /tidal/ flooding. IIRC they
>> just say this road liable to flooding or something like that and
>> people think, "It hasn't rained I'll be OK."

> Seeing large boats on dry land should be a clue that the tide is low. Or
> do motorists not think of such things ;-)

It is possible to lead yourself into a false sense of security - I
locked my bike up in a pub car park by the Thames thinking "shirley
no-one would put a car park where it floods". But I was wrong, and had
to climb along a fence to fish my bike out to avoid getting wet.

JimP

--
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after

"Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:47:34 +0100, "MatSav" <matthew | dot | savage |
> at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com> wrote:
>
>>No it isn't. The City Barge at Strand-on-the-Green, Kew also has one to
>>protect from the Thames.
>>http://ultimatepubguide.com/pubs/info.phtml?pub_id=428

> What an excellent pub review.

I didn't say I drink there! I have visited in the past - in fact, I've
paddled a canoe amongst the benches on their forecourt with a high spring
tide.

--
MatSav

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Phil Cook wrote:
>
> > He he. :) It might help if the signs said /tidal/ flooding. IIRC they
> > just say this road liable to flooding or something like that and
> > people think, "It hasn't rained I'll be OK."

> Seeing large boats on dry land should be a clue that the tide is low. Or
> do motorists not think of such things ;-)

People who live in the Twickenham area are quite used to seeing drowned
cars. I'm sure people know they're parking in a flood zone by a tidal
river, but they look at the trickle of water and collection of muddy
puddles that the Thames is at low tide and think, "It can't possibly
get this high in such a short time. I'll be all right for a few hours."

Yes it can. No you won't.

--
Dave...