cars sunk

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Apr 1, 2006.

  1. Fellow cyclists may not be wholly surprised at the motorist behaviour
    reported at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4867880.stm

    'Severe flooding on a bank of the River Thames has led to numerous cars
    ending up in a watery grave. Julie Newens, who runs a boat hire and
    repair firm on Putney Embankment in London, said drivers ignored
    warning signs. Mrs Newens and her husband Chas warn motorists of the
    dangers, but said they are often ignored.

    "Chas will tell someone not to park there and the drivers can be quite
    rude. When they come back and see their car has floated away they blame
    us and say we have pushed it in when we haven't touched it."

    Interesting to see that some drivers go into imbecile mode when dealing
    with boaters as well as with us.

    Jon

    Tags:

  2. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >Fellow cyclists may not be wholly surprised at the motorist behaviour
    >reported at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4867880.stm
    >
    >'Severe flooding on a bank of the River Thames has led to numerous cars
    >ending up in a watery grave. Julie Newens, who runs a boat hire and
    >repair firm on Putney Embankment in London, said drivers ignored
    >warning signs. Mrs Newens and her husband Chas warn motorists of the
    >dangers, but said they are often ignored.
    >
    >"Chas will tell someone not to park there and the drivers can be quite
    >rude. When they come back and see their car has floated away they blame
    >us and say we have pushed it in when we haven't touched it."
    >
    >Interesting to see that some drivers go into imbecile mode when dealing
    >with boaters as well as with us.

    He he. :) It might help if the signs said /tidal/ flooding. IIRC they
    just say this road liable to flooding or something like that and
    people think, "It hasn't rained I'll be OK."

  3. Phil Cook wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> Fellow cyclists may not be wholly surprised at the motorist behaviour
    >> reported at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4867880.stm
    >>
    >> 'Severe flooding on a bank of the River Thames has led to numerous
    >> cars ending up in a watery grave. Julie Newens, who runs a boat hire
    >> and repair firm on Putney Embankment in London, said drivers ignored
    >> warning signs. Mrs Newens and her husband Chas warn motorists of the
    >> dangers, but said they are often ignored.
    >>
    >> "Chas will tell someone not to park there and the drivers can be
    >> quite rude. When they come back and see their car has floated away
    >> they blame us and say we have pushed it in when we haven't touched
    >> it."
    >>
    >> Interesting to see that some drivers go into imbecile mode when
    >> dealing with boaters as well as with us.

    > He he. :) It might help if the signs said /tidal/ flooding. IIRC they
    > just say this road liable to flooding or something like that and
    > people think, "It hasn't rained I'll be OK."

    There are warning signs along the shore road at Bosham in West Sussex that
    state "This road flood at _every_ high tide." Doesn't stop drivers parking
    there and returning to flooded cars. Many photos on the walls of the Anchor
    Bleu (the only pub in Britain with a watertight bulkhead door) feature
    flooded cars in the car park behind.

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Phil Cook wrote:

    > He he. :) It might help if the signs said /tidal/ flooding. IIRC they
    > just say this road liable to flooding or something like that and
    > people think, "It hasn't rained I'll be OK."

    Seeing large boats on dry land should be a clue that the tide is low. Or
    do motorists not think of such things ;-)

    ~PB

  5. MatSav

    MatSav Guest

  6. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:47:34 +0100, "MatSav" <matthew | dot | savage |
    at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com> wrote:

    >No it isn't. The City Barge at Strand-on-the-Green, Kew also has one to
    >protect from the Thames.
    >http://ultimatepubguide.com/pubs/info.phtml?pub_id=428

    What an excellent pub review.

    "Bob"

  7. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Phil Cook wrote:
    >
    >> He he. :) It might help if the signs said /tidal/ flooding. IIRC they
    >> just say this road liable to flooding or something like that and
    >> people think, "It hasn't rained I'll be OK."

    > Seeing large boats on dry land should be a clue that the tide is low. Or
    > do motorists not think of such things ;-)

    It is possible to lead yourself into a false sense of security - I
    locked my bike up in a pub car park by the Thames thinking "shirley
    no-one would put a car park where it floods". But I was wrong, and had
    to climb along a fence to fish my bike out to avoid getting wet.

    JimP

    --
    Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
    grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after

  8. MatSav

    MatSav Guest

    "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:47:34 +0100, "MatSav" <matthew | dot | savage |
    > at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com> wrote:
    >
    >>No it isn't. The City Barge at Strand-on-the-Green, Kew also has one to
    >>protect from the Thames.
    >>http://ultimatepubguide.com/pubs/info.phtml?pub_id=428

    > What an excellent pub review.

    I didn't say I drink there! I have visited in the past - in fact, I've
    paddled a canoe amongst the benches on their forecourt with a high spring
    tide.

    --
    MatSav

  9. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Phil Cook wrote:
    >
    > > He he. :) It might help if the signs said /tidal/ flooding. IIRC they
    > > just say this road liable to flooding or something like that and
    > > people think, "It hasn't rained I'll be OK."

    > Seeing large boats on dry land should be a clue that the tide is low. Or
    > do motorists not think of such things ;-)

    People who live in the Twickenham area are quite used to seeing drowned
    cars. I'm sure people know they're parking in a flood zone by a tidal
    river, but they look at the trickle of water and collection of muddy
    puddles that the Thames is at low tide and think, "It can't possibly
    get this high in such a short time. I'll be all right for a few hours."

    Yes it can. No you won't.

    --
    Dave...