Cart bearing maintenance?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Richard, Mar 2, 2003.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Greetings. I have a pair of bikes with the following sets of cart bearing components:

    Dura-Ace headset (threaded) Daytona BB

    FSA headset (no-thread) 105 BB Ritchey hubs

    How many of you do like Zinn says and routinely peel off the seals and re- pack the bearings?
    How often?

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. richard-<< Greetings. I have a pair of bikes with the following sets of cart bearing components

    << How many of you do like Zinn says and routinely peel off the seals and re- pack the bearings?
    How often?

    On overhauls we do that have accesible bearings, we do this and add grease-samo for some of the DA
    rder pulley bearings. I do it if I can-Daytona BB cannot, 105BB cannot either.

  3. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Greetings. I have a pair of bikes with the following sets of cart bearing components:
    >
    > Dura-Ace headset (threaded) Daytona BB
    >
    > FSA headset (no-thread) 105 BB Ritchey hubs
    >
    > How many of you do like Zinn says and routinely peel off the seals and re- pack the bearings?
    > How often?

    I routinely (once or twice a year) repack my DA/Ultegra cartridges.

    Robin Hubert

  4. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    richard wrote:
    > Greetings. I have a pair of bikes with the following sets of cart bearing components:
    >
    > Dura-Ace headset (threaded) Daytona BB
    >
    > FSA headset (no-thread) 105 BB Ritchey hubs
    >
    > How many of you do like Zinn says and routinely peel off the seals and re- pack the bearings?
    > How often?
    >
    > Thanks!

    On the cartridge beartings that I have seals that I can pull like this (primarily, my wheels), I do
    this on installation (it's amazing how little grease some of these things come with!) and about
    every other month -- for me, that's a lot of riding. A wrench showed me how to do this when I was
    going through wheel bearings at a high clip -- they last practically forever now :).

    My headset gets this about once a year; my BBs don't have removable seals, but I've been told that I
    should pull 'em and put a new coating of grease on the outside of 'em every so often (mountain
    biking and I get into water on almost every ride).

    David