Cartography gone mad - Vicstyle

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Dec 13, 2005.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Checkit:

    http://210.9.62.138/website/bikes2b/viewer.htm?Title=Bicycle%20Facilities

    on first glance, friggin awesome!!!!

    still a bit to be updated and interface a bit clunky but big kudos for Vicroads for doing this. awesome stuff!

    Tags:

  2. dej

    dej Guest

  3. zog

    zog Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Checkit:
    >
    > http://210.9.62.138/website/bikes2b/viewer.htm?Title=Bicycle Facilities
    >
    > on first glance, friggin awesome!!!!
    >
    > still a bit to be updated and interface a bit clunky but big kudos for
    > Vicroads for doing this. awesome stuff!

    This application requires Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher

    not much use to me then, I only use FireFox

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

    yeerrssss. I tried that after Safari had kittens.
    Stoopid precipitary browser code... :rolleyes:

  5. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    It's working fine for me on firefox, just get the user agent switcher extention and pretend that you are IE :).

  6. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    I take it back, the map loads but not all of the code works. Bugger.

    IE it is... :(.

  7. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Oh poobumwee, firefox crapped itself. :eek:

  8. Ted Linnell

    Ted Linnell Guest

    SomeGuy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It's working fine for me on firefox, just get the user agent switcher
    >extention and pretend that you are IE :).

    No good on Netscape 7. Just get an error message, requires IE 5.5 or
    higher.

    Why do people build sites specific to 1 browser only?

    Standard html, xml, java, etc should work with any browser.

    Ted.

    | Ted Linnell <[email protected]> |
    | |
    | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

  9. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    "Ted Linnell" wrote in message ...

    > Why do people build sites specific to 1 browser only?
    >
    > Standard html, xml, java, etc should work with any browser.

    Wasn't the saying something like "the best thing about standards is that
    there are so many to choose from" ? :)

    cheers,
    GPL
    :standard cycling scene whore:

  10. Donga

    Donga Guest

    The application closely resembles what has been adopted at my work -
    our applications are slow (a helluva lot of data), but nice. It uses
    ESRI's enterprise mapping products - ArcIMS and ArcSDE.

    Make of that what you will!

    Donga

  11. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-12-14, Ted Linnell (aka Bruce)
    > SomeGuy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>It's working fine for me on firefox, just get the user agent switcher
    >>extention and pretend that you are IE :).

    > No good on Netscape 7. Just get an error message, requires IE 5.5 or
    > higher.
    >
    > Why do people build sites specific to 1 browser only?
    >
    > Standard html, xml, java, etc should work with any browser.

    Pity the developer is probably of the kind that doesn't look at logs
    -- they'd see a large number of people getting as far as the error
    page and going no further.

    --
    TimC
    ALU n. Arthritic Logic Unit, or (rare) Arithmetic Logic Unit. A random

  12. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    dunno, call me old fashioned , but give me a map I can spread out & take it in all in at one go.

    Topography lines would be nice, after all it is 2005.

  13. slaw

    slaw New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
  14. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    interesting, thanks!

    now ,where's that print option.....

  15. slaw

    slaw New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    You can save to PDF.

  16. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Checkit:
    >
    > http://210.9.62.138/website/bikes2b/viewer.htm?Title=Bicycle Facilities
    >
    > on first glance, friggin awesome!!!!
    >
    > still a bit to be updated and interface a bit clunky but big kudos for
    > Vicroads for doing this. awesome stuff!

    What about DTEI in SA?

    They've got contours!
    http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/personal_transport/bike_direct/maps.asp

    or to see some wacky contours go straight here:
    http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/personal_transport/bike_direct/bikemap9.pdf

    Cheers
    Gemma

  17. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Gemma_k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Checkit:
    >>
    >> http://210.9.62.138/website/bikes2b/viewer.htm?Title=Bicycle Facilities
    >>
    >> on first glance, friggin awesome!!!!
    >>
    >> still a bit to be updated and interface a bit clunky but big kudos for
    >> Vicroads for doing this. awesome stuff!
    >>

    > What about DTEI in SA?
    >
    > They've got contours!
    > http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/personal_transport/bike_direct/maps.asp
    >
    > or to see some wacky contours go straight here:
    > http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/personal_transport/bike_direct/bikemap9.pdf
    >
    > Cheers
    > Gemma

    Contours would be handy. I looked at the Vicroads site and tried an
    alternate wiggle on my trip to work. I wound up doing a couple of km worth
    of climbing in a couple of hundred metres. On a topological map, the contour
    lines would have been getting awfully cosy.

  18. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    OK so for those of us who can't view this unimaginative piece of programming - what is it?