Cartography gone mad - Vicstyle

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
Checkit:

http://210.9.62.138/website/bikes2b/viewer.htm?Title=Bicycle%20Facilities

on first glance, friggin awesome!!!!

still a bit to be updated and interface a bit clunky but big kudos for Vicroads for doing this. awesome stuff!

dej said:
nice, thanks for that:)
hope a later version will work with firefox

yeerrssss. I tried that after Safari had kittens.
Stoopid precipitary browser code... :rolleyes:

It's working fine for me on firefox, just get the user agent switcher extention and pretend that you are IE :).

I take it back, the map loads but not all of the code works. Bugger.

IE it is... :(.

flyingdutch said:
yeerrssss. I tried that after Safari had kittens.
Stoopid precipitary browser code... :rolleyes:

Oh poobumwee, firefox crapped itself. :eek:

SomeGuy <[email protected]> wrote:

>It's working fine for me on firefox, just get the user agent switcher
>extention and pretend that you are IE :).

No good on Netscape 7. Just get an error message, requires IE 5.5 or
higher.

Why do people build sites specific to 1 browser only?

Standard html, xml, java, etc should work with any browser.

Ted.

| Ted Linnell <[email protected]> |
| |
| Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

"Ted Linnell" wrote in message ...

> Why do people build sites specific to 1 browser only?
>
> Standard html, xml, java, etc should work with any browser.

Wasn't the saying something like "the best thing about standards is that
there are so many to choose from" ? :)

cheers,
GPL
:standard cycling scene *****:

The application closely resembles what has been adopted at my work -
our applications are slow (a helluva lot of data), but nice. It uses
ESRI's enterprise mapping products - ArcIMS and ArcSDE.

Make of that what you will!

Donga

On 2005-12-14, Ted Linnell (aka Bruce)
> SomeGuy <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>It's working fine for me on firefox, just get the user agent switcher
>>extention and pretend that you are IE :).

> No good on Netscape 7. Just get an error message, requires IE 5.5 or
> higher.
>
> Why do people build sites specific to 1 browser only?
>
> Standard html, xml, java, etc should work with any browser.

Pity the developer is probably of the kind that doesn't look at logs
-- they'd see a large number of people getting as far as the error
page and going no further.

--
TimC
ALU n. Arthritic Logic Unit, or (rare) Arithmetic Logic Unit. A random

dunno, call me old fashioned , but give me a map I can spread out & take it in all in at one go.

Topography lines would be nice, after all it is 2005.

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Checkit:
>
> http://210.9.62.138/website/bikes2b/viewer.htm?Title=Bicycle Facilities
>
> on first glance, friggin awesome!!!!
>
> still a bit to be updated and interface a bit clunky but big kudos for
> Vicroads for doing this. awesome stuff!

What about DTEI in SA?

They've got contours!
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/personal_transport/bike_direct/maps.asp

or to see some wacky contours go straight here:
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/personal_transport/bike_direct/bikemap9.pdf

Cheers
Gemma

"Gemma_k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Checkit:
>>
>> http://210.9.62.138/website/bikes2b/viewer.htm?Title=Bicycle Facilities
>>
>> on first glance, friggin awesome!!!!
>>
>> still a bit to be updated and interface a bit clunky but big kudos for
>> Vicroads for doing this. awesome stuff!
>>

> What about DTEI in SA?
>
> They've got contours!
> http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/personal_transport/bike_direct/maps.asp
>
> or to see some wacky contours go straight here:
> http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/personal_transport/bike_direct/bikemap9.pdf
>
> Cheers
> Gemma

Contours would be handy. I looked at the Vicroads site and tried an
alternate wiggle on my trip to work. I wound up doing a couple of km worth
of climbing in a couple of hundred metres. On a topological map, the contour
lines would have been getting awfully cosy.