Cartridge Bearing Resistance in BB

Gary Jacobson

Guest
I just replaced catridge bearings in a TA Axix BB. Didn't use TA bearings,
but did order bearings in the proper size from LBS. LBS recommended an
expensive bearing but I went for some at 5.00 each. Shop owner wasn't able
to tell me if the bearing he recommended were for low revolution/high force
application like BB. Also I figures bearings of a lower ABEC # might be
better in the long run as their tolerance would acomodate some grit. Not
racing but riding long hilly courses. BB spindle is smooth with no clicks or
binding when I rotate it by hand, but there's still a "tremendous" amount of
resistance after 100 miles. For instance pedal won't "fall" when at 2
o'clock as it does on a bike with cheapo Shimano BB.
Is this resistance significant in use?

Thanks.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, Y

Gary Jacobson wrote:

> I just replaced catridge bearings in a TA Axix BB. Didn't use TA bearings,
> but did order bearings in the proper size from LBS. LBS recommended an
> expensive bearing but I went for some at 5.00 each. Shop owner wasn't able
> to tell me if the bearing he recommended were for low revolution/high force
> application like BB. Also I figures bearings of a lower ABEC # might be
> better in the long run as their tolerance would acomodate some grit. Not
> racing but riding long hilly courses. BB spindle is smooth with no clicks or
> binding when I rotate it by hand, but there's still a "tremendous" amount of
> resistance after 100 miles. For instance pedal won't "fall" when at 2
> o'clock as it does on a bike with cheapo Shimano BB.
> Is this resistance significant in use?

Did you overtighten the adjustable cup? This would preload the
bearings, and you just want to nip it up to eliminate play.

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Gary Jacobson wrote:
>
> Did you overtighten the adjustable cup? This would preload the bearings,
> and you just want to nip it up to eliminate play.

Nope, there's a place where the spindle won't move at all when I grip it
with my fingers. I backed off from that point until it was free, and then I
snugged it just a tiny bit so that when I tightened the lock ring against it
the pressure would be relieved. In the end the spindle was as free as it was
prior to final snugging with lockring.

By the way both cups are adjustable on the Axix BB.

Thanks.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY