Cartridge bearings

Paul Davis

Guest
Is there any way to tell whether a bearing in a hub cartridge bearing is
damaged? I've removed the seals but the bearings themselves aren't really
visible.

Thanks,
Paul

"Paul Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there any way to tell whether a bearing in a hub cartridge bearing is
> damaged? I've removed the seals but the bearings themselves aren't really
> visible.

If the rim waggles a bit - as if it had loose cones - the bearing's worn
out. Remove it(them) and go to a bearing supplier to get cheap replacements.

I have a White Industries hub that takes new bearings every 2 or 3 years
(MTB). First time they went I asked in the LBS, £9 to £12 a bearing, and a
wait of 3 days. I went to Hereford bearings and paid £12 for 4 of them - off
the shelf.

John

Thanks John. Yes there has been a bit of play in the wheel and a strange
knocking when turning (not the headset) so there probably is a damaged
bearing.

Thanks again,
Paul

"Paul Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there any way to tell whether a bearing in a hub cartridge bearing is
> damaged? I've removed the seals but the bearings themselves aren't really
> visible.

If there is any play whatsover they're worn out.
If they don't rotate perfectly smoothly they are damaged, usually caused by
water ingress.
(Cartridge bearings run smoother than all but the best adjusted high quality
cone bearings, well adjusted cones will also have some play when removed
from the bike, cartridges won't)

Rgds,
Pete

Paul Davis wrote:

> Is there any way to tell whether a bearing in a hub cartridge bearing is
> damaged? I've removed the seals but the bearings themselves aren't really
> visible.

Yes. They scream like buggery when they are on the way out.
I was descending a hill at about 45mph the other day when the
front end of my bike literally started 'screaming'. I hit the
brakes thinking I'd puncture or got something stuck between
the wheel and fork, but when I slowed below 20mph odd the sound
dissappeared. Same thing happened on the next fast descent.
Sure enough, when I got home I took the bearings out of the
wheels and the front left hand bearing had run dry and was covered
in a patina of rust. Ho hum. Guess I'd best get some training wheels
for next winter, rather than run the Ksyrium SLs in the wet and
salt again.

--
Alex
BMW R1150GS

Peter B wrote:

> well adjusted cones will also have some play when removed
> from the bike

<pedant> Unless you have solid axles (like on a track bike or a cheap
bike) </pedant>