Cartridge bearings

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul Davis, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Paul Davis

    Paul Davis Guest

    Is there any way to tell whether a bearing in a hub cartridge bearing is
    damaged? I've removed the seals but the bearings themselves aren't really
    visible.

    Thanks,
    Paul

    Tags:

  2. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Paul Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is there any way to tell whether a bearing in a hub cartridge bearing is
    > damaged? I've removed the seals but the bearings themselves aren't really
    > visible.

    If the rim waggles a bit - as if it had loose cones - the bearing's worn
    out. Remove it(them) and go to a bearing supplier to get cheap replacements.

    I have a White Industries hub that takes new bearings every 2 or 3 years
    (MTB). First time they went I asked in the LBS, £9 to £12 a bearing, and a
    wait of 3 days. I went to Hereford bearings and paid £12 for 4 of them - off
    the shelf.

    John

  3. Paul Davis

    Paul Davis Guest

    Thanks John. Yes there has been a bit of play in the wheel and a strange
    knocking when turning (not the headset) so there probably is a damaged
    bearing.

    Thanks again,
    Paul

  4. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Paul Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is there any way to tell whether a bearing in a hub cartridge bearing is
    > damaged? I've removed the seals but the bearings themselves aren't really
    > visible.

    If there is any play whatsover they're worn out.
    If they don't rotate perfectly smoothly they are damaged, usually caused by
    water ingress.
    (Cartridge bearings run smoother than all but the best adjusted high quality
    cone bearings, well adjusted cones will also have some play when removed
    from the bike, cartridges won't)

    Rgds,
    Pete

  5. Alex Ferrier

    Alex Ferrier Guest

    Paul Davis wrote:

    > Is there any way to tell whether a bearing in a hub cartridge bearing is
    > damaged? I've removed the seals but the bearings themselves aren't really
    > visible.

    Yes. They scream like buggery when they are on the way out.
    I was descending a hill at about 45mph the other day when the
    front end of my bike literally started 'screaming'. I hit the
    brakes thinking I'd puncture or got something stuck between
    the wheel and fork, but when I slowed below 20mph odd the sound
    dissappeared. Same thing happened on the next fast descent.
    Sure enough, when I got home I took the bearings out of the
    wheels and the front left hand bearing had run dry and was covered
    in a patina of rust. Ho hum. Guess I'd best get some training wheels
    for next winter, rather than run the Ksyrium SLs in the wet and
    salt again.

    --
    Alex
    BMW R1150GS

  6. Peter B wrote:

    > well adjusted cones will also have some play when removed
    > from the bike

    <pedant> Unless you have solid axles (like on a track bike or a cheap
    bike) </pedant>