casada cake ??

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jarkat2002, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    I need a little help here. Today I ordered a casada cake
    from our local Italian bakery. I was told that it was a
    white cake w/ a cream and strawberry filling. Sounded good
    to me :) But I was just told by a friend that a casada cake
    is soaked in a liqueur. Still fine by me :) but I will be
    serving this to children as well. So ... my question is, are
    casada cakes normally made w/ liqueur? If they are I
    probably will be up most of the night baking cup cakes for
    the kids at the party. TIA!

    ~Kat

    What did my hands do before they held you? Sylvia Plath
    (1932 - 1963)

    Tags:

  2. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Jarkat2002 wrote:

    > I need a little help here. Today I ordered a casada cake
    > from our local Italian bakery. I was told that it was a
    > white cake w/ a cream and strawberry filling. Sounded good
    > to me :) But I was just told by a friend that a casada
    > cake is soaked in a liqueur. Still fine by me :) but I
    > will be serving this to children as well. So ... my
    > question is, are casada cakes normally made w/ liqueur? If
    > they are I probably will be up most of the night baking
    > cup cakes for the kids at the party. TIA!
    >
    > ~Kat

    When I was a kid, our parents/friends/neighbours served us
    such things as baba au rhum (or other liqueur-soaked
    pastries) with no harm done. Check with the bakery. Don't
    think most would use much alcohol in a cake, as it's
    expensive. However, might be a good idea to make a small
    cake for the kids, just in case LOL!

  3. Jarkat2002

    Jarkat2002 Guest

    >When I was a kid, our parents/friends/neighbours served us
    >such things as baba au rhum (or other liqueur-soaked
    >pastries) with no harm done. Check with the bakery. Don't
    >think most would use much alcohol in a cake, as it's
    >expensive. However, might be a good idea to make a small
    >cake for the kids, just in case LOL!

    If it were just my kids, I'm not sure that I would mind all
    that much (they don't eat much cake), but I will be serving
    other children as well. I would check w/ the bakery but they
    are closed and we are to pick up the cake first thing in the
    morning. Looks like I'll bake cup cakes as well ... even if
    the casada cake is ok for them to eat, they always can take
    them home. ~Kat

    What did my hands do before they held you? Sylvia Plath
    (1932 - 1963)

  4. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Jarkat2002 wrote:

    > I need a little help here. Today I ordered a casada cake
    > from our local Italian bakery. I was told that it was a
    > white cake w/ a cream and strawberry filling. Sounded good
    > to me :) But I was just told by a friend that a casada
    > cake is soaked in a liqueur. Still fine by me :) but I
    > will be serving this to children as well. So ... my
    > question is, are casada cakes normally made w/ liqueur? If
    > they are I probably will be up most of the night baking
    > cup cakes for the kids at the party. TIA!
    >
    > ~Kat

    I did a quick Google search for "Cassatta recipe" and the
    first few I looked at did not contain liquor. They also
    sounded delicious but not necessarily something that would
    appeal to kids used to plainer cake!

    gloria p

  5. Kajikit

    Kajikit Guest

    Jarkat2002 saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
    about it on 07 Mar 2004 01:37:24 GMT:

    >I need a little help here. Today I ordered a casada cake
    >from our local Italian bakery. I was told that it was a
    >white cake w/ a cream and strawberry filling. Sounded good
    >to me :) But I was just told by a friend that a casada cake
    >is soaked in a liqueur. Still fine by me :) but I will be
    >serving this to children as well. So ... my question is,
    >are casada cakes normally made w/ liqueur? If they are I
    >probably will be up most of the night baking cup cakes for
    >the kids at the party. TIA!

    I wouldn't think it would have enough alcohol in it to do
    the kids any harm. Some of them may not like the taste
    though... cupcakes would be a good alternative for the
    kiddies. Just use a plain recipe and bung some icing and
    sprinkles on the top and they'll be just as happy :)

    ~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of shiny things...

    Made as of 5 March 2004 - 36 cards, 22 SB pages (plus 2
    small giftbooks), 35 decos

    Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree
    Eating Recipe Swap:
    Aussies Mailing List:

  6. "Jarkat2002" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I need a little help here. Today I ordered a casada cake
    > from our local Italian bakery. I was told that it was a
    > white cake w/ a cream and
    strawberry
    > filling. Sounded good to me :) But I was just told by a
    > friend that a casada cake is soaked in a liqueur. Still
    > fine by me :) but I will be serving this to children as
    > well. So ... my question is, are casada cakes normally
    > made w/ liqueur? If they
    are
    > I probably will be up most of the night baking cup cakes
    > for the kids at
    the
    > party. TIA!
    >
    > ~Kat

    It is casSaTa. Some contain licker n some don't. The liqueur
    is almost always just in the filling - it would be unusual
    for the cake to be soaked in liqueur. What you describe
    probably doesn't contain any alcohol. Still, I like the lickered-
    up ones. It also depends on what part of Italy the recipe
    originated. I like to make, and eat, Cassata alla Siciliana
    and use Strega in it.

    Charlie