casada cake ??

Jarkat2002

Guest
I need a little help here. Today I ordered a casada cake
from our local Italian bakery. I was told that it was a
white cake w/ a cream and strawberry filling. Sounded good
to me :) But I was just told by a friend that a casada cake
is soaked in a liqueur. Still fine by me :) but I will be
serving this to children as well. So ... my question is, are
casada cakes normally made w/ liqueur? If they are I
probably will be up most of the night baking cup cakes for
the kids at the party. TIA!

~Kat

What did my hands do before they held you? Sylvia Plath
(1932 - 1963)

Jarkat2002 wrote:

> I need a little help here. Today I ordered a casada cake
> from our local Italian bakery. I was told that it was a
> white cake w/ a cream and strawberry filling. Sounded good
> to me :) But I was just told by a friend that a casada
> cake is soaked in a liqueur. Still fine by me :) but I
> will be serving this to children as well. So ... my
> question is, are casada cakes normally made w/ liqueur? If
> they are I probably will be up most of the night baking
> cup cakes for the kids at the party. TIA!
>
> ~Kat

When I was a kid, our parents/friends/neighbours served us
such things as baba au rhum (or other liqueur-soaked
pastries) with no harm done. Check with the bakery. Don't
think most would use much alcohol in a cake, as it's
expensive. However, might be a good idea to make a small
cake for the kids, just in case LOL!

>When I was a kid, our parents/friends/neighbours served us
>such things as baba au rhum (or other liqueur-soaked
>pastries) with no harm done. Check with the bakery. Don't
>think most would use much alcohol in a cake, as it's
>expensive. However, might be a good idea to make a small
>cake for the kids, just in case LOL!

If it were just my kids, I'm not sure that I would mind all
that much (they don't eat much cake), but I will be serving
other children as well. I would check w/ the bakery but they
are closed and we are to pick up the cake first thing in the
morning. Looks like I'll bake cup cakes as well ... even if
the casada cake is ok for them to eat, they always can take
them home. ~Kat

Jarkat2002 wrote:

> I need a little help here. Today I ordered a casada cake
> from our local Italian bakery. I was told that it was a
> white cake w/ a cream and strawberry filling. Sounded good
> to me :) But I was just told by a friend that a casada
> cake is soaked in a liqueur. Still fine by me :) but I
> will be serving this to children as well. So ... my
> question is, are casada cakes normally made w/ liqueur? If
> they are I probably will be up most of the night baking
> cup cakes for the kids at the party. TIA!
>
> ~Kat

I did a quick Google search for "Cassatta recipe" and the
first few I looked at did not contain liquor. They also
sounded delicious but not necessarily something that would
appeal to kids used to plainer cake!

gloria p

Jarkat2002 saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on 07 Mar 2004 01:37:24 GMT:

>I need a little help here. Today I ordered a casada cake
>from our local Italian bakery. I was told that it was a
>white cake w/ a cream and strawberry filling. Sounded good
>to me :) But I was just told by a friend that a casada cake
>is soaked in a liqueur. Still fine by me :) but I will be
>serving this to children as well. So ... my question is,
>are casada cakes normally made w/ liqueur? If they are I
>probably will be up most of the night baking cup cakes for
>the kids at the party. TIA!

I wouldn't think it would have enough alcohol in it to do
the kids any harm. Some of them may not like the taste
though... cupcakes would be a good alternative for the
kiddies. Just use a plain recipe and bung some icing and
sprinkles on the top and they'll be just as happy :)

~Karen AKA Kajikit Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 5 March 2004 - 36 cards, 22 SB pages (plus 2
small giftbooks), 35 decos

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com Allergyfree
Eating Recipe Swap:
Aussies Mailing List:

"Jarkat2002" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need a little help here. Today I ordered a casada cake
> from our local Italian bakery. I was told that it was a
> white cake w/ a cream and
strawberry
> filling. Sounded good to me :) But I was just told by a
> friend that a casada cake is soaked in a liqueur. Still
> fine by me :) but I will be serving this to children as
> well. So ... my question is, are casada cakes normally
> made w/ liqueur? If they
are
> I probably will be up most of the night baking cup cakes
> for the kids at
the
> party. TIA!
>
> ~Kat

It is casSaTa. Some contain licker n some don't. The liqueur
is almost always just in the filling - it would be unusual
for the cake to be soaked in liqueur. What you describe
probably doesn't contain any alcohol. Still, I like the lickered-
up ones. It also depends on what part of Italy the recipe
originated. I like to make, and eat, Cassata alla Siciliana
and use Strega in it.

Charlie