Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Cascade Northern Tour

Started by jazmo · · Last activity · 5 posts · 711 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
23 March 2004
Last activity
24 March 2004
Original author
jazmo
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
711
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Was just looking at the Cyling News website and found this tour in there http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/AUS/2004/mar04/mar21cascade

    Cascade Nothern Tour!!!!!!! I'd imagine the name of that race would send the blood of a few Northerners to boiling point!!!

    I remember ordering a Cascade Premium Light from a "Pub in a Paddock" somewhere in north-west Tassi. The guy behind the bar gave me a stern look and said "Poeple have died for lesser offences than that around here".

    He then explained that Cascade is a Hobart (southern) beer while Boags is a Launceston (northern) beer and there's a rivalry between northerner's and southerner's.

    With my enlightened understanding I then proceeded to order a Boags Light.

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by jazmo
    Was just looking at the Cyling News website and found this tour in there http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/AUS/2004/mar04/mar21cascade

    Cascade Nothern Tour!!!!!!! I'd imagine the name of that race would send the blood of a few Northerners to boiling point!!!

    I remember ordering a Cascade Premium Light from a "Pub in a Paddock" somewhere in north-west Tassi. The guy behind the bar gave me a stern look and said "Poeple have died for lesser offences than that around here".

    He then explained that Cascade is a Hobart (southern) beer while Boags is a Launceston (northern) beer and there's a rivalry between northerner's and southerner's.

    With my enlightened understanding I then proceeded to order a Boags Light.

    Jazmo,

    In this enlightened age you can buy Cascade and Boags all over the place, even in Melbourne, Sydney and London. I remember the days when CUB was Victorian, Tooheys was NSW, XXXX was Qld. You couldn't get Tooheys in Wodonga or CUB in Albury.

    BTW the pub in the paddaock is in Pyengana, near St Helens in north east Tas.

    To make matters worse a southerner won the first two stages of the northern tour and then missed the second day to go diving.

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Spider1977
    Jazmo,

    In this enlightened age you can buy Cascade and Boags all over the place, even in Melbourne, Sydney and London. I remember the days when CUB was Victorian, Tooheys was NSW, XXXX was Qld. You couldn't get Tooheys in Wodonga or CUB in Albury.

    BTW the pub in the paddaock is in Pyengana, near St Helens in north east Tas.

    To make matters worse a southerner won the first two stages of the northern tour and then missed the second day to go diving.

    Ah, of course, north - east.... that's what I mean't so say actually. It's on the way to those waterfalls - St Columbus falls I think it's called - correct me if I'm wrong. I also remember stopping by a nice cheese factory along the way.

    My gf and I had a driving holiday through Tassi for 9 days last year and we fell in love with it. Cascade is now my beer of choice. My gf loves Boags. We now only drink Tassi beer 😄.

  4. Ah, Tasmanian parochialism, much more enlightened these days!

    Remember drinking Boags in the 80's at the Dog House, the stuff was barely drinkable. Also remember when Cascade came in Red, Blue and Green with a pic of Russell Falls* as part of the logo .

    Now both Cascade and Boags have gone upmarket, Summer Blonde, Autumn Ale, Honey Porters etc. Long ago I also remember seeing a cartoon of a horse, drinking out of a bucket marked "cascade" and piddling into one marked "boags".

    When was that imaginary line dividing the state into North and South, was it located at Ross or Oatlands or elsewhere?

    (*stand to be corrected here)😄

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by cfsmtb
    When was that imaginary line dividing the state into North and South, was it located at Ross or Oatlands or elsewhere?


    (*stand to be corrected here)😄

    Well, in the old days, it was Boags on tap at Ross pub and Cascade on tap at Oatlands. I think you can get both on tap in either pub now.

    But there is still plenty of unhealthy north vs south stuff going on - there is currently a big spat going on about football, York Park vs Bellerive.

    At leat the cycling fraternity seems to get on pretty well, especially in the vets.

    The best thing is, despite the lack of cycle lanes and some dangerous sections on some roads, Tassie is still a great place for a piece of metal or carbon with a couple of wheels, a chain and a few cogs.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.