cassette and chain

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Martina, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. Martina

    Martina Guest

    bought a new chain, cn7701 (xtr/dura-ace 9 speed) and put it on, but it skips. i previous had the
    cn7700 chain (same model, previous year) and it worked fine. it skips when on the bottom two gears
    in the back. seems to want to jump up over the gears faster than they are taking the chain.

    should i replace the cassette as well? it doesn't seem too warn and the teeth are not really hooked.
    the old chain was really stretched out though...

    thanks, fellow mt biker

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "martina" <[email protected]> wrote in news:v69oda5u21i9e6 @corp.supernews.com:
    > bought a new chain, cn7701 (xtr/dura-ace 9 speed) and put it on, but it skips. i previous had the
    > cn7700 chain (same model, previous year) and it worked fine. it skips when on the bottom two gears
    > in the back.

    Sounds like the gears (and your old chain) are worn out.

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "martina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > should i replace the cassette as well? it doesn't seem too warn and the teeth are not really
    > hooked. the old chain was really stretched out though...

    You should always replace both the cassette and chain at the same time. They both develop wear in
    the same spots from being used.

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  5. mtbnewz

    mtbnewz Guest

    i had the same thing happen once...it stopped as soon as i put on a new cassette...now i always
    replace at same time.

    "martina" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > bought a new chain, cn7701 (xtr/dura-ace 9 speed) and put it on, but it skips. i previous had the
    > cn7700 chain (same model, previous year) and it worked fine. it skips when on the bottom two gears
    > in the back. seems to want to jump up over the gears faster than they are taking the chain.
    >
    > should i replace the cassette as well? it doesn't seem too warn and the teeth are not really
    > hooked. the old chain was really stretched out though...
    >
    > thanks, fellow mt biker

  6. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    If you replace the chain in time, the cassette and chain rings last through several chains. I
    usually get 3 chains to a cassette; the middle and small chain rings will usually last 3 or 4
    chains. I haven't replaced the big one since I added a tooth fairy and stopped ripping teeth off
    on rocks :).

    I replace at 1/16" wear over 6 full links (measures 6-1/16", should measure 6" new).

    David