cassette campy question

pato123

Jul 22, 2005
Hi All, I have a 11-23 and a 13-29 campy cassettes. Is it possible to make a 11-29 out of the two?
Thanks

pato123 said:
Hi All, I have a 11-23 and a 13-29 campy cassettes. Is it possible to make a 11-29 out of the two?
Thanks
Even if if were possible, I think you'll end up with badly graduated jumps. The spacers between sprocket groups, and the sprockets available on different groups will make it a very difficult task , if not impossible.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp

Look at it this way, if Campag thought it was technically possible, economically viable and of benefit to riders, then they would have made such a cassette available. Of course, you do have to consider the extra 2-tooth capacity required in your chain and drivetrain.

pato123 said:
I have a 11-23 and a 13-29 campy cassettes. Is it possible to make a 11-29 out of the two?
Well, actually, you can restack the cassette if the 29t is a loose cog (e.g., Veloce) ...

With the ramped cogs, I believe that an 8t gap is do-able ...

A few years ago, I stacked a 30t behind a 23t on a 9-speed cassette -- the 12-23 was a Chorus cassette & the 30t was a Shimano that I notched-to-fit the Campy freehub body.

Obviously, a smaller gap (e.g., 25-29 or 26t-29) would probably be better.

I don't recall which of the smaller cogs I omitted, but you should choose the one which makes the most sense for the riding you're doing. I used an XTR rear derailleur & the hubbub.com rear derailleur cable anchoring to handle the longer chain.

pato123 said:
Thanks

If you have enough loose cogs..use the 11t and the 12t, add to the 13t of the 13-29, remove the 14t and 16t BUT shifting from the 13 to 15t and 15 to 17t 'may' be poor as the cogs are designed with all sorts of ramps and windows to aid in shifting. Another way is add a 26 and 29 to the 11-23, again removing interior cogs but 'may' have same problem between cogs where you removed one.

I think Campagnolo's choice of cogsets is poor. I would love to see 11 and 12 thru 23/25/27 and 29 BUT they insist on a 13-26, hardly ever sold.

sirius631 said:
Even if if were possible, I think you'll end up with badly graduated jumps. The spacers between sprocket groups, and the sprockets available on different groups will make it a very difficult task , if not impossible.

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp

Look at it this way, if Campag thought it was technically possible, economically viable and of benefit to riders, then they would have made such a cassette available. Of course, you do have to consider the extra 2-tooth capacity required in your chain and drivetrain.

Ya know, I am a big fan of Campagnolo but to 'assume' that Campagnolo doesn't see the advantage of a 11-27 or 29, with the flood of compacts, I think places a lot of faith in the big boys at Campagnolo. They have insisted on a 13-26 for decades(since the advent of click shifting in the early 90s) and that is about the least useful cogset made. Why they don't make 11 and 12 thru 23/5/7/9 is beyond me. They certainly have the technical expertise, just not the will to do it.

Peter@vecchios said:
If you have enough loose cogs..use the 11t and the 12t, add to the 13t of the 13-29, remove the 14t and 16t BUT shifting from the 13 to 15t and 15 to 17t 'may' be poor as the cogs are designed with all sorts of ramps and windows to aid in shifting. Another way is add a 26 and 29 to the 11-23, again removing interior cogs but 'may' have same problem between cogs where you removed one.

I think Campagnolo's choice of cogsets is poor. I would love to see 11 and 12 thru 23/25/27 and 29 BUT they insist on a 13-26, hardly ever sold.
Thanks for your reply, let's see what i can come up with. I was looking also at this cassette from IRD. http://store.interlocracing.com/10elcacra.html has anybody used one of this? I have a long cage derrailleur, 53/39 crank all campy and i want gears to climb the Dolomites this summer, any other suggestions?

pato123 said:
Thanks for your reply, let's see what i can come up with. I was looking also at this cassette from IRD. http://store.interlocracing.com/10elcacra.html has anybody used one of this? I have a long cage derrailleur, 53/39 crank all campy and i want gears to climb the Dolomites this summer, any other suggestions?

We had some IRD and Miche Campag compatible cogsets and they shifted really poorly. In fact, the 11t of the IRD wasn't even centered on the freehub body, it was so poorly made. We haven't used them since.