Cassette/chain/chainring buying advice

volfro

Jul 30, 2006
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I bought an older used road bike from a forum member here about a year ago and it's been really great to me thusfar.

BUT, I was riding one day a few weeks ago, and the chain jumped off the larger chainring and got caught between the crank and the frame. Now one of the links is damaged, so I need a replacement chain.

So I have some questions for all you experts:
  1. Any part-buying advice, such as where you guys shop, etc?
  2. Am I correct in understanding that since I'm replacing the chain and the chainrings/cassettes are older, I should replace those as well?
  3. Right now it's an 8 speed 23x12 Ultegra cassette, which is pretty hard to find nowadays. I'm on a budget, and don't want to replace the shifter. How much flexibility to I have as far as gear ratios? 53x39 in front, Ultegra chainrings and cranks.
Thanks ahead of time! These forums are always helpful.

8 speed chains are cheap, Shimano HG50 or KMC Z91.
8 speed cassetes too, there are are many Shimano 8 speed casettes on the market or use a Sunrace.
I use Sunrace 12-24 or 11-24 cassettes on 8 speed road bikes.

8 speed Cranks, whas wrong with the 39/52? Too fast or too slow?

gclark8 said:
8 speed chains are cheap, Shimano HG50 or KMC Z91.
8 speed cassetes too, there are are many Shimano 8 speed casettes on the market or use a Sunrace.
I use Sunrace 12-24 or 11-24 cassettes on 8 speed road bikes.
How does the quality of the Sunrace products you use compare to the Ultegras that are currently on my bike?

8 speed Cranks, whas wrong with the 39/52? Too fast or too slow?
Honestly, I'm not a very experienced cyclist, so the 39/53 combination is fine. I wouldn't know the difference without trying another ratio. I was just wondering if I had to replace the chainrings when I replace the cassette and chain. It's older as well, but it looks okay.

volfro said:
How does the quality of the Sunrace products you use compare to the Ultegras that are currently on my bike?

Honestly, I'm not a very experienced cyclist, so the 39/53 combination is fine. I wouldn't know the difference without trying another ratio. I was just wondering if I had to replace the chainrings when I replace the cassette and chain. It's older as well, but it looks okay.
Generally the chainrings last much longer than the chain or cassette. I would look at just replacing the chain and cassette, unless your LBS says the chainrings look worn.

To be honest, I would just start with a new chain. It doesn't have to be a Shimano chain. Just go to your LBS and tell them what you have. They should have a couple of compatable chains for you to look at.

After you have installed the chain, ride the bike! If the chain begins to skip, then you will need to replace the cassette. It is difficult to "see" that a cassette is worn. It is something that you feel. You may not need to replace the cassette and I would at least give it a chance before I replaced it.

Since you are relatively inexperienced, you should probably do your parts shopping at your local bike shop (LBS). They will know what components from one manufacturer are compatable with the components of another manufacturer. Of course you will want to deal with a reputable LBS. If you go in for a chain and they try to sell you a whole bike, run out of there immediately! Most LBS's are reputable but there are a couple.......

To be honest, I would just start with a new chain. It doesn't have to be a Shimano chain. Just go to your LBS and tell them what you have. They should have a couple of compatable chains for you to look at.

After you have installed the chain, ride the bike! If the chain begins to skip, then you will need to replace the cassette. It is difficult to "see" that a cassette is worn. It is something that you feel. You may not need to replace the cassette and I would at least give it a chance before I replaced it.

Since you are relatively inexperienced, you should probably do your parts shopping at your local bike shop (LBS). They will know what components from one manufacturer are compatable with the components of another manufacturer. Of course you will want to deal with a reputable LBS. If you go in for a chain and they try to sell you a whole bike, run out of there immediately! Most LBS's are reputable but there are a couple.......