Cassette Change

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John King, Aug 8, 2004.

  1. John King

    John King Guest

    Hi.

    Going around a hair pin turn with my less than adequate high speed
    skills I went off road and did a job on my rear wheel.

    I have some other wheels to use ... but got to get cassette switched
    over. Park tool I have does not seem to insert very far at all into
    the Campy cassette. Is that as far in as it is supposed to go? I don't
    want to strip the lockring or something.

    I found the cassette remover.... now all I have to do is find the
    chain whip tool I bought a year ago. *S*

    Thank you.

    John

    --
    http://kingjohn.freeshell.org
    [email protected]

  2. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "John King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi.
    >
    > Going around a hair pin turn with my less than adequate high speed
    > skills I went off road and did a job on my rear wheel.
    >
    > I have some other wheels to use ... but got to get cassette switched
    > over. Park tool I have does not seem to insert very far at all into
    > the Campy cassette. Is that as far in as it is supposed to go? I don't
    > want to strip the lockring or something.

    You have to hold it on while loosening with a Q/R skewer.

  3. hobby

    hobby Guest

    I had the same problem. I solved it by tapping that sucker down into the
    lockring with a hand cresent wrench; it works great now on both my Campy and
    Shimano hubs. For some reason, even though mine said it was for a Campy
    cassette, it didn't want to seat down in there either. Good luck. Give it
    a tap; it is soft enough metal that it will go down and not hurt the tougher
    lockring.

    Tom

    "John King" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi.
    >
    > Going around a hair pin turn with my less than adequate high speed
    > skills I went off road and did a job on my rear wheel.
    >
    > I have some other wheels to use ... but got to get cassette switched
    > over. Park tool I have does not seem to insert very far at all into
    > the Campy cassette. Is that as far in as it is supposed to go? I don't
    > want to strip the lockring or something.
    >
    > I found the cassette remover.... now all I have to do is find the
    > chain whip tool I bought a year ago. *S*
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > John
    >
    > --
    > http://kingjohn.freeshell.org
    > [email protected]

  4. Kenny Lee

    Kenny Lee Guest

    John King wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > Going around a hair pin turn with my less than adequate high speed
    > skills I went off road and did a job on my rear wheel.
    >
    > I have some other wheels to use ... but got to get cassette switched
    > over. Park tool I have does not seem to insert very far at all into
    > the Campy cassette. Is that as far in as it is supposed to go? I don't
    > want to strip the lockring or something.
    >
    > I found the cassette remover.... now all I have to do is find the
    > chain whip tool I bought a year ago. *S*
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > John

    Thread the skewer through the axle. Put the cassette tool onto the lock
    ring. Screw the skewer nut down to the cassette tool. The skewer nut
    should rest loosely on top of the cassette tool. With chain whip in
    place use the big box wrench to remove lock ring. The skewer nut will
    hold the cassette removal tool in place as you apply force.

    Kenny Lee