Cassette change?

TheFritoBandito

Dec 8, 2005
I am currently running a 9-spd cassette with the following gears: 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25

It's about time to replace the cassette now. I very rarely use the 12 except when I'm cranking hard on long downhills (almost never) and rarely use the 25 except as an occasional bail-out gear on the hardest hills (and I pretty much only do that because its presence gives me an excuse to use it...if it wasn't there, I could get by with the 23). So I am considering a change to a 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23 which would give me 2 more usable gears and only cost me a bit on the high and low end.

My only dilemma is that I am planning on tackling the Death Ride in July, and for that, with all the climbing and descending, I may actually want the 12 and 25. Any advice?

I run a 13-23 on my Felt. Much better than a 12-25 in flat Perth. I suggest buying a 13-23 and keeping the 12-25 for the one ride, it can't be all that bad if the 12 and 15 have had no use. Cassettes are easy to swap, $20 for the tools.

gclark8 said:
I run a 13-23 on my Felt. Much better than a 12-25 in flat Perth. I suggest buying a 13-23 and keeping the 12-25 for the one ride, it can't be all that bad if the 12 and 15 have had no use. Cassettes are easy to swap, $20 for the tools.

Agreed, multiple cassettes for different situations. I use a 12-25 for hilly training and mountainous road racing, 12-23 for most general road racing and either 12-21 or 11-21 for flat criteriums. Once nice thing about the 13-25 is you get a 16 gear which is missing from the 12-25. The gap between 15 and 17 can be a biatch.

One thing to consider though is if your 12-25 is worn, you'll need a new chain with the new 13-23 and thus going back to the 12-15 with the new chain can be problematic if the wear is significant.

TheFritoBandito said:
I am currently running a 9-spd cassette with the following gears: 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25

It's about time to replace the cassette now. I very rarely use the 12 except when I'm cranking hard on long downhills (almost never) and rarely use the 25 except as an occasional bail-out gear on the hardest hills (and I pretty much only do that because its presence gives me an excuse to use it...if it wasn't there, I could get by with the 23). So I am considering a change to a 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23 which would give me 2 more usable gears and only cost me a bit on the high and low end.

My only dilemma is that I am planning on tackling the Death Ride in July, and for that, with all the climbing and descending, I may actually want the 12 and 25. Any advice?
I find myself in the 39/13 combo quite a bit. By having a 12t and an 11t, I can run the small chainring without being to crossed up. Personally I like having a wide range, just in case you need it. Having two is really the way to go. Buy some degreaser and give the one your not using a thorough cleaning. By having two and keeping them clean, I get tons of miles out of them.

Are you planning to do the Death ride with a 13-23? I remember previous years, they recommended a triple or a 13-27.

capwater said:
Agreed, multiple cassettes for different situations. I use a 12-25 for hilly training and mountainous road racing, 12-23 for most general road racing and either 12-21 or 11-21 for flat criteriums. Once nice thing about the 13-25 is you get a 16 gear which is missing from the 12-25. The gap between 15 and 17 can be a biatch.

One thing to consider though is if your 12-25 is worn, you'll need a new chain with the new 13-23 and thus going back to the 12-15 with the new chain can be problematic if the wear is significant.
Keep the old chain to use with the old cassette.

artemidorus said:
Keep the old chain to use with the old cassette.
Good call. If the chain still has life in it, I like to use it with the older cassette and keep the new one handy just for use with my racing set-up.

Get two cassettes, as other posters have told you. 13-23 is fine, but, as you mentioned, you end up being in trouble in terms of fast downhills (when you will spin out) and on rough climbs, when a 25 would be better to have.

Do get a new chain when you change your cassette, and get a second cassette for the rougher rides when a bailout gear (and therefore a long downhill/fast paced gear) are useful.

Also, are you running a compact up front or a regular 53-39?