Cassette decisions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by martiarch, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. martiarch

    martiarch New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2003
    Could someone please explain the sizing on cassettes...I'm looking to buy a new cassette for my mountain bike. What are the differences between 11-32 , 11-34 and 12-34...

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. martiarch <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Could someone please explain the sizing on cassettes...I'm looking to buy a new cassette for my
    : mountain bike. What are the differences between 11-32 , 11-34 and 12-34...

    Means maximum and minimum teeth for the sprockets of the cassette. ERm or rather minimum and maximum
    :) If you have 34 instead of 32, you will have slightly easier gear in the very low end.

    For further information http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

  3. martiarch wrote:
    > Could someone please explain the sizing on cassettes...I'm looking to buy a new cassette for my
    > mountain bike. What are the differences between 11-32 , 11-34 and 12-34...

    Those are the numbers of teeth on the smallest and largest sprockets respectively.

    An 11 will let you go a bit faster downhill or on the road. A 34 will let you climb with less
    effort, but more slowly. A wider range will cause bigger spacing between intermediate gears, which
    could be annoying.

    Some older freehubs won't accept an 11 tooth without minor modification.

    See also http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

    and http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

    Sheldon "Kah-Sept" Brown +-----------------------------------------------------------+
    | In my opinion two characteristics disqualify skating | as vehicular travel. | The first is the
    | necessary side-to-side swerving motion. | The second is the very poor braking deceleration. | I
    | think that skating should not be allowed on either | pedestrian or vehicular facilities. -- John
    | Forester |

  4. Joe Gilmore

    Joe Gilmore Guest

    Some years ago I asked a similar question and someone named "Sheldon Brown" responded and directed
    me to their website! I have referred to that website many, many times since then and I highly
    recommend it as a "favorite" when it comes to questions about components, etc. "Sheldon Brown"