Cassette failure modes (and repair)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zaf, May 20, 2003.

  1. Zaf

    Zaf Guest

    I was humping up a steep hill last night and I managed to break loose the 21& 23 tooth cogs from my
    cassette. I would never have guessed this possible with a recreational rider. It was an ultegra
    cassette with ~5000 miles on it. As the metal attaching it to the spider thingy was sheared it is
    not a matter of repinning it. Is is possible to purchase just the spider section?

    Tags:

  2. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    "Zaf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was humping up a steep hill last night and I managed to break loose the 21& 23 tooth cogs from
    > my cassette. I would never have guessed this possible with a recreational rider. It was an ultegra
    > cassette with ~5000 miles on it. As the metal attaching it to the spider thingy was sheared it is
    > not a matter of repinning it. Is is possible to purchase just the spider section?

    AFAIK, no

    If you broke 2 of them, chances are more are bound to break soon. I'd replace the whole cassette as
    they are relatively inexpensive. Replace your chain at the same time, also good preventative
    maintenance. If you haven't replaced the chain for a while it can stretch. And if you use the old
    chain with new cogs, slipping can occur under high peddling load.

  3. << It was an ultegra cassette
    > with ~5000 miles on it. As the metal attaching it to the spider thingy was sheared it is not a
    > matter of repinning it. Is is possible to purchase just the spider section?

    Nope but use a 105 level cogset, loose cogs...cheaper also-

  4. Doug Goodwin

    Doug Goodwin Guest

    [email protected] (Zaf) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I was humping up a steep hill last night and I managed to break loose the 21& 23 tooth cogs from
    > my cassette. I would never have guessed this possible with a recreational rider. It was an ultegra
    > cassette with ~5000 miles on it. As the metal attaching it to the spider thingy was sheared it is
    > not a matter of repinning it. Is is possible to purchase just the spider section?

    QBP lists the various Shimano spider assemblies in their catalog. Talk to your LBS [ain't
    cheap though!].

    Or, do like Mr. Chisholm suggests and get a 105 cassette. As he notes, cheaper [a helluva a lot so],
    and you can unpin the cogs. I've collected a bag full of various ones from catalog sales, swap
    meeets, etc., and now "roll my own" cogsets, changing out depending on the ride.

    --
    Doug Goodwin YMMV

    "We have met the enemy, and they is us." - Pogo __o _`\<,_ (*)/ (*)

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    >I was humping up a steep hill last night and I managed to break loose the 21& 23 tooth cogs from my
    >cassette.

    What happened the moment it occurred? Were you sitting or standing? Did you lose balance, jolt a
    knee, what?

    Doug

  6. Zaf

    Zaf Guest

    "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Zaf" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I was humping up a steep hill last night and I managed to break loose the 21& 23 tooth cogs from
    > > my cassette. I would never have guessed this possible with a recreational rider. It was an
    > > ultegra cassette with ~5000 miles on it. As the metal attaching it to the spider thingy was
    > > sheared it is not a matter of repinning it. Is is possible to purchase just the spider section?
    >
    > AFAIK, no
    >
    > If you broke 2 of them, chances are more are bound to break soon. I'd replace the whole cassette
    > as they are relatively inexpensive. Replace your chain at the same time, also good preventative
    > maintenance. If you haven't replaced the chain for a while it can stretch. And if you use the old
    > chain with new cogs, slipping can occur under high peddling load.

    Well the spider is the weak link, so I would not think the failure of the spine attached cogs would
    be a problem. The chain is already pretty new. The suggestion for the 105 cassette is a good one,
    get rid of the spider altogether.

    And to answer the other Dougs question: I was sitting, the breaking of the cassete did not in itself
    cause much disruption, but the immediate loss of power stopped me pretty quick!