Cassette Lubrication question

avidprime

Jan 25, 2010
Hi guys, Was looking to get some advice on what was involved with lubricating a new wheelset?

I have asked numerous people outside of this forum and heard numerous answers. Was looking to get some insight from you guys.

Should I be greasing the skewers? What about the new cassette I put on? lube or no? if yes, should I simply use what I use on the chain?

Any advice here is appreciated

Thanks guys
Chris

Grease the skewer axle. That's all.

No point in lubing the cassette; there are no moving parts. It will just attract dirt...

Thanks Scott, That is what others have told me as well. I just wanted to check with this forum.

Thanks again
Chris

I'd only put a light smear on the threads (if at all). Unless it is mild steel which will rust otherwise.

avidprime said:
Should I be greasing the skewers?
"should" is a difficult one. I grease the skewers both the rod, lightly, the thread for the nut, and the mechanism. But then I'm an all-weather rider and don't relish the thought of ever again having to take a hammer to a skewer to drive it out of the axle...

avidprime said:
...what about the new cassette I put on?
I put a thin sheen of grease on either the freehub body, or the splined inside of the cassette. or both if I'm feeling generous or distracted. It's a simple enough way to delay rusting and to increase the odds of future disassembly being easier.o
avidprime said:
...if yes, should I simply use what I use on the chain?

Anything is better than nothing, but I prefer a grease with more staying power. Got a graphite one I'm quite partial to.

Thanks, more good advice.

Here's another one for you about rust... I have seen numerous videos and read comments about people washing their bikes with soap and water. If rust is a concern on the cassette (and other places), should I be avoiding this soap/water washing process? I have never had the bike out in the rain b/c I was always afraid parts of it would get wet and rust. Again, total noob here in case you didn't realize :)

Thanks again
Chris

Most cassettes I've seen were plated. Rust only forms on the worn part of the teeth. Ride the bike and that part gets smeared with oil from the chain, stopping further rust.

You don't need to be in a rush to wash your bike if you don't ride in the rain, unless you ride where it's dusty and gritty. If you have dust you want to remove, you can wipe areas down with a soapy rag and rinse with a bucket of water.

If, however, you have grit on the chain and cassette, it's a much bigger issue than a little rust after cleaning IMHO. It will abrade your drivetrain until the chain skips and you need a new chain and cassette.

I put antiseize lube on my freehub. It is the correct lube for when metal components are jammed together with great force but no relative motion.

avidprime said:
Thanks, more good advice.

Here's another one for you about rust... I have seen numerous videos and read comments about people washing their bikes with soap and water. If rust is a concern on the cassette (and other places), should I be avoiding this soap/water washing process? I have never had the bike out in the rain b/c I was always afraid parts of it would get wet and rust. Again, total noob here in case you didn't realize :)

Thanks again
Chris

I have nothing but steel bikes, and all have been ridden in all sorts of weather...except for snow, and none have any rust not even my beater MTB that I don't take care of!

I wash all my bikes but not with soap and water, I use Finish Line Bike Wash because it has a rust inhibitor in it whereas just plain soap and water or car washes do not have it.

After washing it I towel dry it, then put a automotive wax on since bike waxes or Pledge are too inferior to automotive wax. I use Meguiars NXT wax on my 67 Galaxy 500 conv and on the 79 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 because it's the best thus I use it on my bikes.