Cassette making notches in aluminum freehub body

Ken Lehner

Guest
Using a cassette with loose cogs has put nasty notches in my aluminum freehub body. I have
successfully filed them down, but I'd like to prevent this from continuing. If I use a cassette
(like Ultegra 8spd) that has the larger cogs riveted together, will this spread the force over a
larger area than just the driven cog, and thus be less likely to deform the hub?

Ken Lehner

"Ken Lehner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Using a cassette with loose cogs has put nasty notches in my aluminum freehub body. I have
> successfully filed them down, but I'd like to prevent this from continuing. If I use a cassette
> (like Ultegra 8spd) that has the larger cogs riveted together, will this spread the force over a
> larger area than just the driven cog, and thus be less likely to deform the hub?
>
> Ken Lehner

My Am. Classic cassette hubs said specifically NOT to use loose cogs on it. Even with the bolted
together cogs, they left indentations in the hub body. Go with an Ultegra-type of AL carrier and you
won't have a problem.

Just think: now may be a good time to go either 9sp or 10sp! Save the AL cassette body!

Mike

Shimano thinks that we, as mere lowly bicyclists, are not smart enough to realize that the larger
tab on the cogs goes into the larger notch on the freehub body, so they rivet them all together.
That way we'll get them all on in the right position.

Other than that, the rivets serve no useful purpose, except possibly to further discourage
customizing your cog set, which I still thoroughly believe is the primary purpose of "Hype"glide.

But that's JMHO...

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shimano thinks that we, as mere lowly bicyclists, are not smart enough to realize that the larger
> tab on the cogs goes into the larger notch on the freehub body, so they rivet them all together.
> That way we'll get them all on in the right position.
>
> Other than that, the rivets serve no useful purpose, except possibly to further discourage
> customizing your cog set, which I still thoroughly believe is the primary purpose of "Hype"glide.
>
> But that's JMHO...
>
> May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris
>
> Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Chris, I disagree with your assertion about the lack of usefulness of rivets. The rivets tie
together the cogs and therefore help spread the load on the cassette body. Chris King specifies,
like American Classic, that you must use this type of cassette with their aluminum freehub bodied
hub. There are many comprimises involved to save weight. This is a small one. David Ornee, Western
Springs, IL

"David Ornee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Shimano thinks that we, as mere lowly bicyclists, are not smart enough to realize that the
> > larger tab on the cogs goes into the larger notch on the freehub body, so they rivet them all
> > together. That way we'll get them all on in the right position.
> >
> > Other than that, the rivets serve no useful purpose, except possibly to further discourage
> > customizing your cog set, which I still thoroughly believe is the primary purpose of
> > "Hype"glide.
> >
> > But that's JMHO...
> >
> > May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris
> >
> > Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner
> >
> Chris, I disagree with your assertion about the lack of usefulness of rivets. The rivets tie
> together the cogs and therefore help spread the load on the cassette body. Chris King specifies,
> like American Classic, that you must use this type
of
> cassette with their aluminum freehub bodied hub. There are many comprimises involved to save
> weight. This is a small one. David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

Plus you can get the nicer ones with a carrier for the larger gears that save even more weight. With
5 or 6 gears, picking hte right gears to put on probably made a big difference. With 9 (or now 10),
there really isn't going to be that much difference between cassettes, besides the starting and
ending gears. The gears between are reasonably and closely spaced, which means unless you wanted to
go hybrid style and put a shimano "megarange" cog on there, you'd only be able to change the cogs by
a tooth, MAYBE two, anyway.

Jon Bond

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:58:04 +0000, David Ornee wrote:

> I disagree with your assertion about the lack of usefulness of rivets. The rivets tie together the
> cogs and therefore help spread the load on the cassette body.

Nonsense. The rivets are maybe 1mm thick. How much load can they spread?

> Chris King specifies, like American Classic, that you must use this type of cassette with their
> aluminum freehub bodied hub.

When Campy went to aluminum freehub bodies, they significantly deepened the splines on the cogs so
this would not happen. Shimano splines are very shallow, and I personally don't think aluminum
bodies for such a design are a good idea.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or _`\(,_ | that we are to
stand by the president right or wrong, is not (_)/ (_) | only unpatriotic and servile, but is
morally treasonable to the American public. --Theodore Roosevelt

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:58:04 +0000, David Ornee wrote:
>
> > I disagree with your assertion about the lack of usefulness of rivets.
The
> > rivets tie together the cogs and therefore help spread the load on the cassette body.
>
> Nonsense. The rivets are maybe 1mm thick. How much load can they spread?

What the rivets do is make the individual cogs act like a block of cogs. Instead of putting pressure
in one point, now you have it spread over the width of the cogs that are riveted together. It ain't
much, but its better than putting pressure in one specific spot on the cassette body.

Mike

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nonsense. The rivets are maybe 1mm thick.

I've mislaid my Vernier caliper, but I'd guess they're closer to 4.5mm.

> How much load can they spread?

Pass.

> When Campy went to aluminum freehub bodies, they significantly deepened the splines on the cogs so
> this would not happen. Shimano splines are very shallow, and I personally don't think aluminum
> bodies for such a design are a good idea.

The new 10spd Dura Ace hubs appear to use deeper splines for their aluminium bodies.
http://www.shimano.com.au/australia/en/cycling/news___events/7800.html

James Thomson

Mike-<< Just think: now may be a good time to go either 9sp or 10sp! Save the AL cassette body!
>><BR><BR>

2004 DA freehubs are goinmg to be aluminum...just for info-

> Mike-<< Just think: now may be a good time to go either 9sp or 10sp! Save
the
> AL cassette body! >><BR><BR>
>
> 2004 DA freehubs are goinmg to be aluminum...just for info-

Also, according to the review I just read (Velo Snooze?), the old hubs will be 10sp compatible but
the new ones won't be 9sp compatible.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

"Dion Dock" <[email protected]> wrote:

> That seems like a step back from the current titanium ones.

Aluminium is less dense than titanium - an aluminium freehub body can be made lighter than a
titanium one.

James Thomson