Cassette Problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by News.Bellatlant, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. I finished a long ride last weekend, and had a friend bring the bike home. When I picked up the bike
    I noticed the reverse racheting of the cassette (not sure that's the right term) doesn't work. When
    I move the pedals backwards, nothing happens and the chain goes slack, i.e. it doesn't move
    backwards and make that clicking sound. Any idea what it could be? It was fine at the end of the
    ride. Thanks

    Carl

    Tags:

  2. Dan Brussee

    Dan Brussee Guest

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:40:38 GMT, "news.bellatlantic.net" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I finished a long ride last weekend, and had a friend bring the bike home. When I picked up the
    >bike I noticed the reverse racheting of the cassette (not sure that's the right term) doesn't work.
    >When I move the pedals backwards, nothing happens and the chain goes slack, i.e. it doesn't move
    >backwards and make that clicking sound. Any idea what it could be? It was fine at the end of the
    >ride. Thanks

    A. Friend took the bike for a ride and shifted the gears after stopping. Does pedalling forward make
    this phenomenon go away?

    B. Friend threw the bike in the vehicle and bent the rear derailleur and / or dropout.

    C. Chain was damaged in transport.

    D. Something got caught in the chain / derailleurs during transport.

    Others possible.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    news.bellatlantic.net wrote:

    > I finished a long ride last weekend, and had a friend bring the bike home. When I picked up the
    > bike I noticed the reverse racheting of the cassette (not sure that's the right term) doesn't
    > work. When I move the pedals backwards, nothing happens and the chain goes slack, i.e. it doesn't
    > move backwards and make that clicking sound. Any idea what it could be? It was fine at the end of
    > the ride. Thanks

    Something's impeding the cassette body from turning. Was your ride wet? Perhaps water penetration.
    It could be something so simple as a rack mounting bolt sticking through the frame end to hit the
    last cog. Or a bit of detritus between the spokes and your low gear.

    Remove the wheel and see if the cassette body turns with your fingers.