cassette questions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Chesney Christ, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daft question this maybe, but there's no information on the usual various websites about it.

Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
    assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub, and
    slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

--
    George H.W. Bush, as Presidential Nominee for the Republican party; 1987-AUG-27: "No, I don't know
    that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is
    one nation under God."

Tags:

2. Rudge

Rudge Guest

Apparently a 7 speed cassette will fit a 9 speed hub but you will need a spacer (5mm?) to
    fill the gap.

> Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
    > assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub,
    > and slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

3. In rec.bicycles.tech Chesney Christ <[email protected]> wrote:

: Daft question this maybe, but there's no information on the usual various websites about it.

: Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
    : assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub,
    : and slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

Yep! I've done this with great success.

Cheerz, Lynzz

4. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"Chesney Christ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Daft question this maybe, but there's no information on the usual various websites about it.
    >
    > Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
    > assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub,
    > and slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

It's even simpler.

Add one scrap spacer* behind your low gear and just slip your seven cassette on the new wheel.

The above assumes your seven is HG and the new hub is Shimano compatible

*taken from a dead cassette, usual price $0
    --
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

5. anon

anon Guest

similar question - can i put a 8 speed cassette on a 7 speed freehub?

6. Dave

Dave Guest

<snip>
    > George H.W. Bush, as Presidential Nominee for the Republican party; 1987-AUG-27: "No, I don't know
    > that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is
    > one nation under God."
    >
    Oh fer gawds sake, don't he know nuttin' ? Parliament Funkadelic, some time in the past : "One
    nation under the groove" Huh, honestly!!

7. Chesney Christ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
    >assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub, and
    >slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

I had to do this because of inability to obtain a 7 speed freehub at short notice. It is even easier
    than you expect; a 7 speed cassette with a normal 7 speed spacer (from an old cassette) underneath
    the largest sprocket is near as dammit the right width.
    --
    David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

8. A certain A Muzi, of uk.rec.cycling "fame", writes :

>Add one scrap spacer* behind your low gear and just slip your seven cassette on the new wheel.
    >
    >The above assumes your seven is HG and the new hub is Shimano compatible

Yes, my current seven (freewheel) is HG. So I'll simply buy a 7 speed cassette for my 9 speed 105
    hubbed new wheel, stick in a spacer as you've kindly suggested, and I'm there.

Some people (incl. Sheldon) are talking about re-dishing the wheel. Is this really necessary ?
    Shirley the alignment of the cassette while it's on the hub does not effect the centre-ing of
    the wheel.

--
    George H.W. Bush, as Presidential Nominee for the Republican party; 1987-AUG-27: "No, I don't know
    that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is
    one nation under God."

9. Clive George

Clive George Guest

"Chesney Christ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

> Some people (incl. Sheldon) are talking about re-dishing the wheel. Is this really necessary ?
    > Shirley the alignment of the cassette while it's on the hub does not effect the centre-ing of
    > the wheel.

That's if you start with a 7 speed wheel, take off the 7-speed cassette freehub and put the slightly
    wider 8/9 speed one on. (and do appropriate spacer changing if you're not spreading the frame). If
    you start with the wide freehub in the first place, no change.

cheers, clive

10. A certain Clive George, of uk.rec.cycling "fame", writes :
    >"Chesney Christ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Some people (incl. Sheldon) are talking about re-dishing the wheel. Is this really necessary ?
    >> Shirley the alignment of the cassette while it's on the hub does not effect the centre-ing of
    >> the wheel.
    >
    >That's if you start with a 7 speed wheel, take off the 7-speed cassette freehub and put the
    >slightly wider 8/9 speed one on. (and do appropriate spacer changing if you're not spreading the
    >frame). If you start with the wide freehub in the first place, no change.

Thank you very much!

--
    one nation under God."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.