cassette questions

Status

Chesney Christ

Guest
Daft question this maybe, but there's no information on the usual various websites about it.

Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub, and
slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

--
George H.W. Bush, as Presidential Nominee for the Republican party; 1987-AUG-27: "No, I don't know
that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is

Apparently a 7 speed cassette will fit a 9 speed hub but you will need a spacer (5mm?) to
fill the gap.

In rec.bicycles.tech Chesney Christ <[email protected]> wrote:

: Daft question this maybe, but there's no information on the usual various websites about it.

: Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
: assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub,
: and slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

Yep! I've done this with great success.

Cheerz, Lynzz

"Chesney Christ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Daft question this maybe, but there's no information on the usual various websites about it.
>
> Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
> assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub,
> and slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

It's even simpler.

Add one scrap spacer* behind your low gear and just slip your seven cassette on the new wheel.

The above assumes your seven is HG and the new hub is Shimano compatible

*taken from a dead cassette, usual price $0

similar question - can i put a 8 speed cassette on a 7 speed freehub?

<snip>
> George H.W. Bush, as Presidential Nominee for the Republican party; 1987-AUG-27: "No, I don't know
> that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is
> one nation under God."

Oh fer gawds sake, don't he know nuttin' ? Parliament Funkadelic, some time in the past : "One
nation under the groove" Huh, honestly!!

Chesney Christ <[email protected]> wrote:
>Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
>assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub, and
>slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

I had to do this because of inability to obtain a 7 speed freehub at short notice. It is even easier
than you expect; a 7 speed cassette with a normal 7 speed spacer (from an old cassette) underneath
the largest sprocket is near as dammit the right width.

A certain A Muzi, of uk.rec.cycling "fame", writes :

>Add one scrap spacer* behind your low gear and just slip your seven cassette on the new wheel.
>
>The above assumes your seven is HG and the new hub is Shimano compatible

Yes, my current seven (freewheel) is HG. So I'll simply buy a 7 speed cassette for my 9 speed 105
hubbed new wheel, stick in a spacer as you've kindly suggested, and I'm there.

Some people (incl. Sheldon) are talking about re-dishing the wheel. Is this really necessary ?
Shirley the alignment of the cassette while it's on the hub does not effect the centre-ing of
the wheel.

--
George H.W. Bush, as Presidential Nominee for the Republican party; 1987-AUG-27: "No, I don't know
that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is
one nation under God."

"Chesney Christ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Some people (incl. Sheldon) are talking about re-dishing the wheel. Is this really necessary ?
> Shirley the alignment of the cassette while it's on the hub does not effect the centre-ing of
> the wheel.

That's if you start with a 7 speed wheel, take off the 7-speed cassette freehub and put the slightly
wider 8/9 speed one on. (and do appropriate spacer changing if you're not spreading the frame). If
you start with the wide freehub in the first place, no change.

cheers, clive

A certain Clive George, of uk.rec.cycling "fame", writes :
>"Chesney Christ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> Some people (incl. Sheldon) are talking about re-dishing the wheel. Is this really necessary ?
>> Shirley the alignment of the cassette while it's on the hub does not effect the centre-ing of
>> the wheel.
>
>That's if you start with a 7 speed wheel, take off the 7-speed cassette freehub and put the
>slightly wider 8/9 speed one on. (and do appropriate spacer changing if you're not spreading the
>frame). If you start with the wide freehub in the first place, no change.

Thank you very much!

--
George H.W. Bush, as Presidential Nominee for the Republican party; 1987-AUG-27: "No, I don't know
that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is
one nation under God."

Status
Not open for further replies.