cassette questions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Chesney Christ, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Daft question this maybe, but there's no information on the usual various websites about it.

    Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
    assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub, and
    slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

    --
    George H.W. Bush, as Presidential Nominee for the Republican party; 1987-AUG-27: "No, I don't know
    that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is

    Tags:

  2. Rudge

    Rudge Guest

    Apparently a 7 speed cassette will fit a 9 speed hub but you will need a spacer (5mm?) to
    fill the gap.

  3. In rec.bicycles.tech Chesney Christ <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Daft question this maybe, but there's no information on the usual various websites about it.

    : Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
    : assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub,
    : and slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

    Yep! I've done this with great success.

    Cheerz, Lynzz

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Chesney Christ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Daft question this maybe, but there's no information on the usual various websites about it.
    >
    > Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
    > assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub,
    > and slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

    It's even simpler.

    Add one scrap spacer* behind your low gear and just slip your seven cassette on the new wheel.

    The above assumes your seven is HG and the new hub is Shimano compatible

    *taken from a dead cassette, usual price $0

  5. anon

    anon Guest

    similar question - can i put a 8 speed cassette on a 7 speed freehub?

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    <snip>
    > George H.W. Bush, as Presidential Nominee for the Republican party; 1987-AUG-27: "No, I don't know
    > that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is
    > one nation under God."

    Oh fer gawds sake, don't he know nuttin' ? Parliament Funkadelic, some time in the past : "One
    nation under the groove" Huh, honestly!!

  7. Chesney Christ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Can I buy a new rear wheel with a 9 speed freehub and use it with my existing 7 speed setup ? I
    >assume all that is needed is to buy a 7 speed freehub body, transplant it onto the 9 speed hub, and
    >slap a 7 speed cassette on. Is this correct ?

    I had to do this because of inability to obtain a 7 speed freehub at short notice. It is even easier
    than you expect; a 7 speed cassette with a normal 7 speed spacer (from an old cassette) underneath
    the largest sprocket is near as dammit the right width.

  8. A certain A Muzi, of uk.rec.cycling "fame", writes :

    >Add one scrap spacer* behind your low gear and just slip your seven cassette on the new wheel.
    >
    >The above assumes your seven is HG and the new hub is Shimano compatible

    Yes, my current seven (freewheel) is HG. So I'll simply buy a 7 speed cassette for my 9 speed 105
    hubbed new wheel, stick in a spacer as you've kindly suggested, and I'm there.

    Some people (incl. Sheldon) are talking about re-dishing the wheel. Is this really necessary ?
    Shirley the alignment of the cassette while it's on the hub does not effect the centre-ing of
    the wheel.

    --
    George H.W. Bush, as Presidential Nominee for the Republican party; 1987-AUG-27: "No, I don't know
    that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is
    one nation under God."

  9. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Chesney Christ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Some people (incl. Sheldon) are talking about re-dishing the wheel. Is this really necessary ?
    > Shirley the alignment of the cassette while it's on the hub does not effect the centre-ing of
    > the wheel.

    That's if you start with a 7 speed wheel, take off the 7-speed cassette freehub and put the slightly
    wider 8/9 speed one on. (and do appropriate spacer changing if you're not spreading the frame). If
    you start with the wide freehub in the first place, no change.

    cheers, clive

  10. A certain Clive George, of uk.rec.cycling "fame", writes :
    >"Chesney Christ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Some people (incl. Sheldon) are talking about re-dishing the wheel. Is this really necessary ?
    >> Shirley the alignment of the cassette while it's on the hub does not effect the centre-ing of
    >> the wheel.
    >
    >That's if you start with a 7 speed wheel, take off the 7-speed cassette freehub and put the
    >slightly wider 8/9 speed one on. (and do appropriate spacer changing if you're not spreading the
    >frame). If you start with the wide freehub in the first place, no change.

    Thank you very much!