cassette questions...

TheAndyDudE

Feb 6, 2004
guy at LBS says my 8spd Cassette is bent on some of the tooths, along with my rear Alivio Shimano derailleur... he fixed the rear derailleur, but i think i want to replace the cassette now, what's the best option? whats the real deal on cassettes and all the stuff they affect!

enlighten me please!! thanks!:D

well, if youre not concerned with weight, they're pretty much the same, unless you want to upgrade it to a 9 speed, then you would need 9 speed compatible shifters and a 9 speed chain

nah, weight isnt really a factor as of yet...but i don't fell i know enough about bikes in general yet to change to 9-speed. i don't race, i just do technical and XC. so the extra gears are beyond my use really.

if i upgrade the 8-spd cassette, should i bother/need to replace any other components as well? like the rear hub?
-thanks

Originally posted by TheAndyDudE
if i upgrade the 8-spd cassette, should i bother/need to replace any other components as well? like the rear hub?
-thanks
No

Sometimes but not always, in my experience, if you get a new cassette, then you need a new chain too because sometimes the old chain will skip and jump because the chain and the cassette have different wear patterns on them. This isn't always the case, but occasionally it does happen.

Originally posted by TheAndyDudE
bike is overall 2 months old...shouldnt have these problems then....i hope... :)

Oh yeah, no problem at all. Heck that things probably just gettin' broke in. It's brand new still, so that shoudn't be a problem for ya.

yes, agreed all around, but i like to not play it so safe and i've already bent the rear derailler to heck and back. :)

learning new tricks is fun../ :D

i have a 11-32 9 speed on my hardrock and it does me well i was going to get a 11-34 but the bike shop orderd the wrong parts and i wanted my bike done then so i just got the 11-32 (and the 32 cog well let you climb like a billy goat) cassette and i must say i dont think i would have needed the 34 cog and the 11 tooth cog is plenty to keep you going fast

this is all done with 22-32-44 chainrings