cassette removal question

Adam Lea

Guest
I had a go at trying to remove the cassette on my road bike today, as part
of a major clean up, and to try and learn a bit about bicycle repair and
maintenance. I used a lockring tool, spanner and chain whip to remove the
lockring and subsequently removed the two smallest sprockets and a spacer,
but I could not remove the rest of the cassette. Once I have got the
lockring off is there anything else I need to unscrew in order to get the
cassette off? I must admit I could not see anything obvious.

Adam Lea wrote:
> I had a go at trying to remove the cassette on my road bike today, as part
> of a major clean up, and to try and learn a bit about bicycle repair and
> maintenance. I used a lockring tool, spanner and chain whip to remove the
> lockring and subsequently removed the two smallest sprockets and a spacer,
> but I could not remove the rest of the cassette. Once I have got the
> lockring off is there anything else I need to unscrew in order to get the
> cassette off? I must admit I could not see anything obvious.

No, just pull, failing that pry it out. The whole block will come off or
each individual cog will come off if they are not held together.

Peter Pan wrote:
> Adam Lea wrote:
>> I had a go at trying to remove the cassette on my road bike today,
>> as part of a major clean up, and to try and learn a bit about
>> bicycle repair and maintenance. I used a lockring tool, spanner and
>> chain whip to remove the lockring and subsequently removed the two
>> smallest sprockets and a spacer, but I could not remove the rest of
>> the cassette. Once I have got the lockring off is there anything
>> else I need to unscrew in order to get the cassette off? I must
>> admit I could not see anything obvious.

> No, just pull, failing that pry it out. The whole block will come off
> or each individual cog will come off if they are not held together.

A bit of tugging back and fro with the chain whip might release it. Its
probably just sticking on the splines somewhere.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/