Cassette Spacer on 8 speed LX hub - what is it?

Scott

Guest
I recently noticed some of my 8 speed hubs have a removable spacer that appears to be part of the
hub. It goes on before the cassette goes on. Why do some hubs have the spacer and some do not.

I discovered this trying to put a 9 speed ultegra cassette on a 7 speed hub. I had to steal the
spacer off my 8 speed LX hub to use on the 7 speed hub in order for the 9 speed cassette to work on
the 7 speed hub. Before putting the spacer on, the 9 speed gears were loose. After putting the
spacer on, the splined nut that goes on after the 11T gear did not seem to catch by many threads, so
I am still not sure if it is right.

Can anyone give any general rules for what the spacer is for and when it should and should not be
used. Scott

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 21:37:49 -0600, <Scott> wrote:

>Can anyone give any general rules for what the spacer is for and when it should and should
>not be used.

I've noticed on some hub bodies, without the spacer, the largest cog will touch the spokes. If you
look at some cassettes, the large cog actually sits below the mounting hole.