Cassette spacer sets?

David E. Belche

Guest
Hello all,

Does anyone know of a UK source able to supply cassette spacers to allow a Campag Record 8sp.
hub/cassette combo to operate with a Shimano 8sp. set-up? Such things certainly exist for 9sp.
format, e.g. the ones for use with Mavic ready-built wheels (converting Shimano-type cassettes to
Campag 9sp. spacing), but not so sure about 8sp. All help gatefully received, as ever.

Thanks in advance, David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

David E. Belcher wrote:
> Does anyone know of a UK source able to supply cassette spacers to allow a Campag Record 8sp.
> hub/cassette combo to operate with a Shimano 8sp. set-up?

For perfection, you'd need spacers 0.2mm thinner than Campag 8sp, ie.
2.9mm. Marchisio make 2.9mm spacers for their Shimano 9sp-compatible cassettes, so these would do:
Available from www.sdeals.com* and maybe Parkers. Won't matter about spacers at either
extreme end being wrong. Marchisio also do 0.5mm spacers (to place behind largest sprocket)
if you need to bulk out the cassette to make the lockring bite. If chain is noisy (rubbing
on adjacent sprockets due to Campag sprockets being thicker and the reduced spacing): maybe
a 9sp chain would be better with it.

But first, I would try the cassette as it is. Shifters & mech might cope with the error. ...Or try
Shimano 8sp spacers - only .1 out.

spacing info (please check I've got the numbers right!): http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

* SDeals are operating a limited part-time service at the moment. Probably better to phone rather
than email.

~PB

ps. I'm assuming Record 8sp cassettes have individual separable sprockets. I never got to the dizzy
heights of Record myself - I only know Mirage 8sp ones.

[email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know of a UK source able to supply cassette spacers to allow a Campag Record 8sp.
> hub/cassette combo to operate with a Shimano 8sp. set-up? Such things certainly exist for 9sp.
> format, e.g. the ones for use with Mavic ready-built wheels (converting Shimano-type cassettes to
> Campag 9sp. spacing), but not so sure about 8sp. All help gatefully received, as ever.

To elaborate on the above;

(a) Currently awaiting feedback from Highpath Engineering, as their web site looked promising.
(b) "Gatefully"?? Normally good on typos, but maybe my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders when I
typed that....

David E. Belcher <[email protected]> wrote:
>(a) Currently awaiting feedback from Highpath Engineering, as their web site looked promising.

It's unfortunate that they don't provide a full catalogue on their Website; its imminent arrival has
been promised for some months. Nevertheless, when I had occasion to purchase loose sprockets and
SRAM chains from them, they were polite and helpful in the face of repeated slightly clueless
telephone enquiries, not excessively priced, and sent the right thing reasonably promptly.