cassette wiggle?

Swoop

Feb 13, 2004
I have a set of shimano r540 wheels. After a rainy ride in which I did hit a pothole.. I noticed that my cassette wiggles a bit from side to side.....also my wheel is slightly out of true but I don't think that should cause a cassette to wiggle... also my bike has started to make a new quiet clicking noise from the back along with the wiggle..any ideas?

Swoop said:
I have a set of shimano r540 wheels. After a rainy ride in which I did hit a pothole.. I noticed that my cassette wiggles a bit from side to side.....also my wheel is slightly out of true but I don't think that should cause a cassette to wiggle... also my bike has started to make a new quiet clicking noise from the back along with the wiggle..any ideas?

I'll be interested in what replys you get. I noticed on my second bike the other day something similar in that the whole rear cassette moves up and down by a few millimeters as the wheel turns. I had it in my mag trainer and was trueing the wheel at the time. I've successfully trued the wheel and riden the bike and it doesn't seem to make any difference to anything but I suspect something is bent. Not sure how it happened but might be linked to the out of true wheel and my hefty son who has been riding it.

Pat

Swoop said:

If your talking about the cassette wobbling as you look at a cog knife edge, its most likely a bent axle. I'm not familiar with the r540s, but if they are cup and bearing hubs I would stop riding on it and get it fixed or it could do damage to the cup area of the hub depending on how bent the axle is. For that matter if they are sealed bearing hubs I don't see anything good happening to continue to ride on the wheel either.

Swoop said:
If the casette is actually loose,the lockring needs tightened.It's not uncommon to have a bit sideways or up and down eccencircity. But a bent axel or something else bent or out of plumb can't be ruled out.