cassette wobbly?

brosbro

Sep 29, 2005
hi,
My rear cluster wobbles as if the whole wheel is, but the wheel runs straight. I'm pretty sure the cluster is an older screw on type. It also make the wheel feel unstable when I spin it above the ground. What do you think is wrong with it?
Thanks for any help

never had something like that happen. if you're sure it's only the freewheel, have you checked the possiblity of the threads being stripped? another, possibly more probable, cause could be that your quick release isn't clamping tight enough, in which case it would look to run true when you spin the wheel by hand, but when you pedal, the entire wheel would wobble. perhaps a spacer got lost last time the hub was serviced.

brosbro said:
hi,
My rear cluster wobbles as if the whole wheel is, but the wheel runs straight. I'm pretty sure the cluster is an older screw on type. It also make the wheel feel unstable when I spin it above the ground. What do you think is wrong with it?
Thanks for any help
good chance the axle is bent. In the older screw cassettes when the cassette wobbled either you were missing bearing in the hub or the axle was bent.