Cassettes and Cranks

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by AggieCycler92, Sep 14, 2005.

1. AggieCycler92

AggieCycler92 New Member

I recently moved from Texas to Maryland and the hills are considerably larger here :eek: . I decided that I wanted to get some lower gearing on my road bike and was wondering if anyone can offer me some advice on Crank/Cassette combos.

I've got a LeMond Tourmalet (stock) with a 105 front (Double Chain Ring 53-39) and an Ultegra RD-6500-SS Rear Derailleur (12-25 cassette). I looked into converting to a triple and decided that it was too involved. I settled for going to a compact Crank and got a Ritchey that gives me a 50-34 set up.

I was now wondering if I could replace my rear cassette with a 11-32. I think I might have some problems with that since the specs for the rear I have says it will only take a max 27 tooth cassette.

My question is: Has anyone had any experience with using such a combination (a 50-34 front chain ring with an 11-32 rear cassette) or know of difficulties with such and will my current rear derailleur even WORK with an 11-32...specs say no, it seems. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tags:

2. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I've just made a similar change to my road bike for a hillclimb TT. Specifically, I went from a 13-26 cassette to a 13-29 and from a 39/52 crank to a 34/50 compact crank. I'm running Campy, so my experience may not apply directly to your components. The spec sheet said that I would need the Campy medium cage rear derailleur for the 13-29 cassette, so I ordered it but my LBS mechanic didn't think I would need it and he was right -- my standard cage rear derailleur works fine with the 13-29 cassette. I'll be returning the medium cage derailleur. You might want to have a medium or long cage rear derailleur on hand (be sure you can return it if you don't need it) but otherwise I think everything should work. Your chain might not handle the full crossover (big to big) but you don't want to ride that gear anyway.

3. bbattle

bbattle New Member

I'm using an FSA 50-34 compact with an Ultegra 12-25 and I'm able to do some decent climbs. (I've only been road biking for two months and I'm 39). I would give your current setup at least a few months to attack those hills.

When the cassette needs replacing I might get the 12-27 cassette. If there's an alternative, I would sacrifice in favor of lower gearing; I can get a useful cadence from the 50-12 gearing only when flying downhill.

4. AggieCycler92

AggieCycler92 New Member

That's a good point, I should give it some time, I guess. And those were my same thoughts on the gearing. The 11-32 was the one I happened to see that gave me the lowest gearing.

Technically it was a 105 cassette...should that matter?

5. AggieCycler92

AggieCycler92 New Member

Right...I might go ahead and order both then when it comes to it and just return the D if I don't need it. Thanks for the advice!

6. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

Hi Aggie. What area of MD? I'm in MD as well.

7. AggieCycler92

AggieCycler92 New Member

Westminster...been looking for some riding pards, too.

8. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

Hey, not far off. I'm in Damascus, a straight shot down route 27. Around 20-25 miles. I used to know a few good rides around your area, but I've forgotten them all now. One good one went west to Thurmont and up Catoctin Mtn and back (lots of climbing).

I have several good routes in my area, ranging from 40-60 miles. Drop me a line if you want to meet up for a ride sometime. Once the fiance gets back from her trip, she'll be itching to get back on her bike.

9. dbrower

dbrower New Member

You can reasonably run a 12-27 with what you have; that is what I do. As old and decrept as I'm becoming, I'm thinking about a mountain cassette (32 or 34) and that will require a long cage DR.

-dB

10. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Actually, it isn't about cage length which is really about wrap capacity,not the ability to shift a big cog. Get an mtb RD that will handle a 32 or 34, not a road long cage.

11. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

That makes perfect sense.

I've run a 34t cassette before with an XT short cage derailleur. I think you only need a long cage if you run a triple up front (to take up the extra chain slack when you're on the granny ring).