Cassettes Are Not Eco-Friendly



D

Donald Munro

Guest
phs123 wrote:
> I know several people who says that Assos bibs like the F.I.
> 13 or Mille is the best cycling investment they have made.


Best or biggest ?
 
N

N8N

Guest
On Jun 22, 4:10 pm, James <[email protected]> wrote:
> I like to bicycle commute. I do it for health and enjoyment first.
> Positive "green" effects on the environment are side benefits but it's
> not a primary motivation. I support the green concept, I'm just not
> hard-core about it. I still own cars.
>
> Cassettes really bug me. Invariably I wear out one, maybe two cogs,
> which leads to cassette replacement. It bugs me to throw away a
> cassette that still has 8 perfectly good cogs on it.
>
> Instead of cassettes, why can't Shimano and Campy come out with 9- and
> 10-speed gearsets that have no cassette. Just a set of 10 cogs and
> spacers. Just stack 'em up on the hub. That way, when your one or two
> favorite cogs wear out, just replace the worn ones and keep the unworn
> ones.
>
> Cycling has a great image of being an eco-friendly sport. I think
> coming out with fully replaceable cogsets would help improve the image
> more.


The first think I thought of when I saw this subject line was that
it'd been years since I saw an audio cassette with all the tape
hanging out that someone had thrown out their car window in
frustration. Used to be a fairly common occurrance, once upon a
time...

nate
 
On 23 Jun., 16:56, Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:
> phs123 wrote:
> > I know several people who says that Assos bibs like the F.I.
> > 13 or Mille is the best cycling investment they have made.

>
> Best or biggest ?


Best.
As I said, Assos makes top quality cycling clothes.


--
Regards
 
K

Kinky Cowboy

Guest
As nobody seems to have mentioned it so far, one word:
Marchisio

A complete 9-speed Junior (ie everyday) cassette is 57 Euro, the
larger sprockets are 5,20 Euro when you need to replace them. Slightly
less than double that for the race spec Aviotek

They also help the recycling effort by allowing you to keep your old
hubs in the event that you switch groupsets :)

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary
** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
 
S

SLAVE of THE STATE

Guest
On Jun 23, 2:16 am, Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:
> Carl Sundquist wrote:
> > Assos Beach Towel!!!
> > Only $76 + $47 Shipping!!!

>
> Dumbass,
> This is an Assos towel. It has the following important properties:
> "..."


What about drying the nutsack after shaving and rinsing?
 
D

Donald Munro

Guest
SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
> What about drying the nutsack after shaving and rinsing?


Real men wax.
 
L

landotter

Guest
On Jun 23, 2:22 pm, Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:
> SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
>
> > What about drying the nutsack after shaving and rinsing?

>
> Real men wax.


Hot wax, then fling it around outside on the deck to get rid of the
excess.
 
H

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:

> SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
> > What about drying the nutsack after shaving and rinsing?

>
> Real men wax.


Brings new meaning to the phrase "Brazilian cyclist."

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
 
On Jun 22, 4:10 pm, James <[email protected]> wrote:
> I like to bicycle commute. I do it for health and enjoyment first.
> Positive "green" effects on the environment are side benefits but it's
> not a primary motivation. I support the green concept, I'm just not
> hard-core about it. I still own cars.
>
> Cassettes really bug me. Invariably I wear out one, maybe two cogs,
> which leads to cassette replacement. It bugs me to throw away a
> cassette that still has 8 perfectly good cogs on it.
>
> Instead of cassettes, why can't Shimano and Campy come out with 9- and
> 10-speed gearsets that have no cassette. Just a set of 10 cogs and
> spacers. Just stack 'em up on the hub. That way, when your one or two
> favorite cogs wear out, just replace the worn ones and keep the unworn
> ones.
>
> Cycling has a great image of being an eco-friendly sport. I think
> coming out with fully replaceable cogsets would help improve the image
> more.


Go to ebay. Search "cog*". At least 3 (of us) have been selling the
steel 17-19 cog pair sub-assembly for Dura-Ace 9 speed cassettes, at a
price well under 20% the cost of new. They'll fit other Shimano-
compatible cassettes. of course.