Cassettes or CD'S?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Roseofsharon, May 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roseofsharon

Roseofsharon Guest

Hi, My cassette player that I use on almost all my rides is worn out. Should I replace it with
    another cassette player or with a CD player? does anyone have experience with a cd player they
    especially like? Thanks Sharon

Tags:

2. Mike Hilb

Mike Hilb Guest

Listening to music while riding is suicide, and illegal in most states.

Now if your riding a trainer I recommend a CD Player, even the cheap ones these days don't skip.

"roseofsharon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, My cassette player that I use on almost all my rides is worn out. Should I replace it with
    > another cassette player or with a CD player? does anyone have experience with a cd player they
    > especially like? Thanks Sharon

3. Tom Keats

Tom Keats Guest

In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (roseofsharon) writes:
    > Hi, My cassette player that I use on almost all my rides is worn out. Should I replace it with
    > another cassette player or with a CD player?

Clean the tape guides with isopropyl-alcohol-charged Q-tips, and give 'em a couple o' swipes with a
    demagnetizing wand. Take care not to scrub grit into the tape heads. I bet with a little TLC, your
    tape player would be good as new.

Tape players don't wear out, as much as they build-up a bunch of [removable] crud.

And portable tape players aren't as wont to skip as portable CD players.

If you feel like it, have a listen, for me, to "Swamp Thing", by the Chameleons (UK) on their
    "Strange Times" album. (I once had a bike I dubbed "Swamp Thing".)

I wish I could toss ya ('n everybody else) some jim-dandy tapes. But, unlike certain recumbent
    advocates, I'll leave yez all up to yer own devices, choices, and preferences -- and respect 'em.

cheers, Tom

--
    -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    [point] bc [point] ca

4. Pete

Pete Guest

"roseofsharon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > another cassette player or with a CD player? does anyone have experience with a cd player they
    > especially like? Thanks Sharon

I have a TDK Mojo CD/MP3 player, with an *8 minute* skip protection (when playing mp3's). The disc
    is actually not spinning quite often during normal play, and instead just reads out of the bffer.

Skip? what's that?

Pete

5. "Mike Hilb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<_SFua.35053$A%[email protected]>...

> Listening to music while riding is suicide, and illegal in most states.
    >

And what do you have against Darwin?

( :) if it's really necessary)

> Now if your riding a trainer I recommend a CD Player, even the cheap ones these days don't skip.
    >
    > "roseofsharon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi, My cassette player that I use on almost all my rides is worn out. Should I replace it with
    > > another cassette player or with a CD player? does anyone have experience with a cd player they
    > > especially like? Thanks Sharon

6. In article <_SFua.35053$A%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>Listening to music while riding is suicide, and illegal in most states.

No, wearing headphones is illegal. You can listen to music, just not through headphones.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

7. Actually, I recommend using glass cleaner (ammonia based) on the pinch roller and capstan. If you
    clean the pinch roller (little rubber thingy that looks like a miniature race car tire) often enough
    the alcohol can dry out the rubber. Windex works great but I would still use alcohol on the guides
    and heads.

markgo "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    > (roseofsharon) writes:
    > > Hi, My cassette player that I use on almost all my rides is worn out. Should I replace it with
    > > another cassette player or with a CD player?
    >
    > Clean the tape guides with isopropyl-alcohol-charged Q-tips, and give 'em a couple o' swipes with
    > a demagnetizing wand. Take care not to scrub grit into the tape heads. I bet with a little TLC,
    > your tape player would be good as new.
    >
    > Tape players don't wear out, as much as they build-up a bunch of [removable] crud.
    >
    > And portable tape players aren't as wont to skip as portable CD players.
    >
    > If you feel like it, have a listen, for me, to "Swamp Thing", by the Chameleons (UK) on their
    > "Strange Times" album. (I once had a bike I dubbed "Swamp Thing".)
    >
    > I wish I could toss ya ('n everybody else) some jim-dandy tapes. But, unlike certain recumbent
    > advocates, I'll leave yez all up to yer own devices, choices, and preferences -- and respect 'em.
    >
    >
    > cheers, Tom
    >
    > --
    > -- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
    > [point] bc [point] ca

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.