Cassettes:Ultegra 10 Compatability and Spacing vs. Dura-Ace

li0scc0

Sep 20, 2004
Sorry, I posted this elsewhere but I believe this to be the correct spot.

In 2006 I converted to Shimano from Campagnolo (sponsorship issue, not by my own intention!).

Initially both my training and racing wheels had Dura-Ace 10 speed 11-23 cassettes. Great. Wheel changes between the two was flawless.

When it was time to replace cassettes, I replaced BOTH cassettes (and the chain, of course) so both would have new cassettes. On the racing wheels, I have Dura-Ace 10 11-23. On the training wheels, Ultegra 10 speed 11-23.

Unfortunately they are not even close. When I dial in the indexing for the Ultegra, it is off for the Dura-ace, and vice-versa. I have tried switching the cassettes as an experiment, and the shifting is still way off.

As an FYI, both wheels have the low spacer installed. And both wheels have the same hub, so that is not the issue.

Funny note: I COULD use the Dura-ace cassette on the hub without a low spacer and it fits tight. However, the Ultegra cassette is very loose without the low spacer and, it could use two low spacers without much trouble. In fact, when I use two low spacers for the Ultegra it shifts closer to the Dura-Ace 10, but is still not the same (especially in the 21 and 23).

So what gives? Is the Ultegra cassette not 'spaced' the same as the Dura-ace 10? Flawed design? Do I simply have a bad cassette? Anybody have any experience with this?

This is frustrating to a Campy devotee, as Veloce 10 was exactly the same as Centaur, as Chorus, and as Record 10 with respect to spacing.

Steve

Fully compatible between Ultegra and DA, they are spaced the same. Try swapping them between the different hubs.

capwater said:
Fully compatible between Ultegra and DA, they are spaced the same. Try swapping them between the different hubs.
Got to agree with Capwater - there shouldn't be any difference. I swapped out my usual racing DA 12-23 for my training Ult 12-25 for today's hilly race (figured the bigger cog was worth a few ounces), on DA7800 wheels, never touched the derailleur adjustment, it worked perfectly (and for last week's crit it was fine on the DA cassette) - interchangeable.

capwater said:
If you notice in my post I actually did that, still different. I borrowed a teammates rear wheel just for kicks, tried it, and yep, still the same problem.

I can only think the problem lies in my Ultegra cassette, something just must not be right with it as I never had any issues with the other Dura-ace cassettes. The one I got (the Ultegra cassette) must be a factory mistake.