Cassettes ??

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Max, May 30, 2003.

  1. Max

    Max Guest

    I had some repairs done recently, unfortunatley a) they didnt use the parts asked for b) I was
    abroad and had little time to argue, and subsequently no comeback.

    i had a new cassette, chain, large front ring, and new freewheel on back wheel. as soon as i put it
    into the smallest rear cog it started skipping, I took it back they replaced with a "better" chain
    and now it skips one turn in 50.

    I replaced the chain yesterday ( Id only done an extra 60km on the setup) with a much better chain,
    but the bugger still skips. Ive had a look at the nameless cassette and it looks knackered already.

    Im pretty much limited to shimano gear, any recommendations on cassettee ??) One shop has advised me
    to go with a 105, I told him I thought it was a road bike part, and he reckoned it was the best to
    go for ??? advise if poss ?? \ thanks

    dave

    Tags:

  2. Twohat

    Twohat Guest

    "MAX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I had some repairs done recently, unfortunatley a) they didnt use the
    parts
    > asked for b) I was abroad and had little time to argue, and subsequently
    no
    > comeback.
    >
    > i had a new cassette, chain, large front ring, and new freewheel on back wheel. as soon as i put
    > it into the smallest rear cog it started skipping,
    > took it back they replaced with a "better" chain and now it skips one turn in 50.
    >
    > I replaced the chain yesterday ( Id only done an extra 60km on the setup) with a much better
    > chain, but the bugger still skips. Ive had a look at
    the
    > nameless cassette and it looks knackered already.
    >
    > Im pretty much limited to shimano gear, any recommendations on cassettee
    ??)
    > One shop has advised me to go with a 105, I told him I thought it was a
    road
    > bike part, and he reckoned it was the best to go for ??? advise if poss ?? \ thanks
    >
    > dave

    Check your chain. I had a similar problem last time I replaced everything, and it turned out that
    the link in the chain where I had riveted it together was slightly stiff. Not easy to spot, but it
    didn't quite straighten out when it came off the top jockey wheel onto the rear sprocket, and this
    was just enough to cause skipping on the two smallest cogs when under load. I had to move the rivet
    back and fro until it was just in the right position, then it was OK. If you haven't ridden too far
    it probably won't have damaged your cogs too much. Maybe.

    FWIW I went for Shimano chain, 9 speed cassette (can't remember which model - does HG53 sound
    right?) and Shimano rings. I wanted a higher top gear so I've now got 22 36 48 on the front and
    11-32 on the back. In order to accommodate the possibility that I might accidentally select 48/32
    I've had to leave the chain quite long. This makes for a rather slack chain on the granny ring but
    it seems to work fine now I've got the chain moving freely.

    Hope this helps. Of course, your problem may be caused by something quite different, in which case
    it won't help. Cheers, Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

  3. > One shop has advised me to go with a 105, I told him I thought it was a
    road
    > bike part, and he reckoned it was the best to go for ???

    Nothing wrong with running a road block on a mountain bike, rather having a silly amount of range
    you end up with a closer ratio ... this giving cleaner shifting ... and they are made out of the
    same material so last exactly the same amount of time

    Live fast, crash faster

    http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk

  4. Max

    Max Guest

    "Chris Garwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > One shop has advised me to go with a 105, I told him I thought it was a
    > road
    > > bike part, and he reckoned it was the best to go for ???
    >
    > Nothing wrong with running a road block on a mountain bike, rather having
    > silly amount of range you end up with a closer ratio ... this giving
    cleaner
    > shifting ... and they are made out of the same material so last exactly
    the
    > same amount of time

    > Live fast, crash faster
    >
    > http://www.mtbbikes.co.uk

    ok thanks for the responses guys. Unfortunately I got a little ripped in the shop that did the
    repairs. I took it to a decent lbs near work, told the guy id asked for good spec parts, and he
    pissed himself when he saw the cassette. Apparently it is a / was a koch (???) and should only be
    used with grip shift (?). Anyway he had an sram 7 and popped it on, now its smooth as can be. I
    stuck a new chain on, and did pay special attention to the rivot pin, with a little care it is as
    free as can be

    thanks again

    max