Cast iron questions

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Drdoody, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Drdoody

    Drdoody Guest

    I have a small and growing cast iron collection and I was
    wondering if anybody here did the same. I would appreciate
    some advice, particularly in the area of different
    manufacturer's markings.

    Doc

    --
    "I'm completely in favor of the separation
    of Church and State. My idea is that

    George Carlin

    Tags:

  2. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "drdoody" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have a small and growing cast iron collection and I was
    > wondering if anybody here did the same. I would appreciate
    > some advice, particularly in the area of different
    > manufacturer's markings.
    >
    > Doc
    >
    > --
    > "I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and
    > State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us
    > up enough on their own, so both of them together is
    > certain death."
    >
    > George Carlin

    I only collect Griswold and am still learning.....

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  3. Drdoody

    Drdoody Guest

    > I only collect Griswold and am still learning.....
    >
    > K.

    Expensive hobby, that. I've got a Wagner Sidney #6 and a
    Vollrath #5 with smoke ring. Both I use every day. I've also
    got a 10 1/2 inch skillet of unknown parentage. All it has
    in the bottom is a "Y" with "10 1/2 skillet" stamped beside
    it. I have no idea what it is, but when I get it cleaned up
    I'm sure it'll be great.

    Doc

    --
    "I'm completely in favor of the separation
    of Church and State. My idea is that
    these two institutions screw us up
    enough on their own, so both of them
    together is certain death."

    George Carlin

  4. Wff_ng_6

    Wff_ng_6 Guest

    "drdoody" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have a small and growing cast iron collection and I was
    > wondering if anybody here did the same. I would appreciate
    > some advice, particularly in the area of different
    > manufacturer's markings.

    I've got a small collection mostly of somewhat lesser
    known manufacturers. Some I use, others I don't. The most
    odd ball piece is an "odorless" skillet made for the top
    of a wood stove. I'm not sure of the manufacturer of this
    one. It's marked "Odorless", "869", and a patent date of
    Oct. 17, 1893.

    I've also got a Martin Stove skillet and a Wrought Iron
    Range Company (WIRCO) skillet, along with a covered Vollrath
    chicken fryer.

    Unlike the quality of Griswolds, the WIRCO might be
    considered very low quality. It is very thin compared to the
    others, and is warped because of this. I had never before
    seen cast iron as thin. I got it because it's kind of
    unique. Wrought Iron Range Company is the maker of the
    famous Home Comfort stoves and the Home Comfort cookbook.

    All of the above cast iron is pre-WW II, with the possible
    exception of the Martin one. I've also got a Lodge double
    burner griddle from the early 1990s which is now very well
    seasoned from a decade of cooking pancakes and bacon.

    I've got a bigger collection of enameled cast iron, but
    that's another story! ;-)

  5. Wff_ng_6

    Wff_ng_6 Guest

    "drdoody" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I have a small and growing cast iron collection and I was
    > wondering if anybody here did the same. I would appreciate
    > some advice, particularly in the area of different
    > manufacturer's markings.

    I've got a small collection mostly of somewhat lesser
    known manufacturers. Some I use, others I don't. The most
    odd ball piece is an "odorless" skillet made for the top
    of a wood stove. I'm not sure of the manufacturer of this
    one. It's marked "Odorless", "869", and a patent date of
    Oct. 17, 1893.

    I've also got a Martin Stove skillet and a Wrought Iron
    Range Company (WIRCO) skillet, along with a covered Vollrath
    chicken fryer.

    Unlike the quality of Griswolds, the WIRCO might be
    considered very low quality. It is very thin compared to the
    others, and is warped because of this. I had never before
    seen cast iron as thin. I got it because it's kind of
    unique. Wrought Iron Range Company is the maker of the
    famous Home Comfort stoves and the Home Comfort cookbook.

    All of the above cast iron is pre-WW II, with the possible
    exception of the Martin one. I've also got a Lodge double
    burner griddle from the early 1990s which is now very well
    seasoned from a decade of cooking pancakes and bacon.

    I've got a bigger collection of enameled cast iron, but
    that's another story! ;-)

  6. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "wff_ng_6" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "drdoody" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I have a small and growing cast iron collection and I
    > > was wondering if anybody here did the same. I would
    > > appreciate some advice, particularly in the area of
    > > different manufacturer's markings.
    >
    > I've got a small collection mostly of somewhat lesser
    > known manufacturers. Some I use, others I don't. The most
    > odd ball piece is an "odorless" skillet made for the top
    > of a wood stove. I'm not sure of the manufacturer of this
    > one. It's marked "Odorless", "869", and a patent date of
    > Oct. 17, 1893.
    >
    > I've also got a Martin Stove skillet and a Wrought Iron
    > Range Company (WIRCO) skillet, along with a covered
    > Vollrath chicken fryer.
    >
    > Unlike the quality of Griswolds, the WIRCO might be
    > considered very low quality. It is very thin compared to
    > the others, and is warped because of this. I had never
    > before seen cast iron as thin. I got it because it's kind
    > of unique. Wrought Iron Range Company is the maker of the
    > famous Home Comfort stoves and the Home Comfort cookbook.
    >
    > All of the above cast iron is pre-WW II, with the possible
    > exception of the Martin one. I've also got a Lodge double
    > burner griddle from the early 1990s which is now very well
    > seasoned from a decade of cooking pancakes and bacon.
    >
    > I've got a bigger collection of enameled cast iron, but
    > that's another story! ;-)

    Enameled cast iron??????? <drool>

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  7. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "wff_ng_6" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "drdoody" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I have a small and growing cast iron collection and I
    > > was wondering if anybody here did the same. I would
    > > appreciate some advice, particularly in the area of
    > > different manufacturer's markings.
    >
    > I've got a small collection mostly of somewhat lesser
    > known manufacturers. Some I use, others I don't. The most
    > odd ball piece is an "odorless" skillet made for the top
    > of a wood stove. I'm not sure of the manufacturer of this
    > one. It's marked "Odorless", "869", and a patent date of
    > Oct. 17, 1893.
    >
    > I've also got a Martin Stove skillet and a Wrought Iron
    > Range Company (WIRCO) skillet, along with a covered
    > Vollrath chicken fryer.
    >
    > Unlike the quality of Griswolds, the WIRCO might be
    > considered very low quality. It is very thin compared to
    > the others, and is warped because of this. I had never
    > before seen cast iron as thin. I got it because it's kind
    > of unique. Wrought Iron Range Company is the maker of the
    > famous Home Comfort stoves and the Home Comfort cookbook.
    >
    > All of the above cast iron is pre-WW II, with the possible
    > exception of the Martin one. I've also got a Lodge double
    > burner griddle from the early 1990s which is now very well
    > seasoned from a decade of cooking pancakes and bacon.
    >
    > I've got a bigger collection of enameled cast iron, but
    > that's another story! ;-)

    Enameled cast iron??????? <drool>

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  8. "drdoody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > I only collect Griswold and am still learning.....
    > >
    > > K.
    >
    > Expensive hobby, that. I've got a Wagner Sidney #6 and a
    > Vollrath #5 with smoke ring. Both I use every day. I've
    > also got a 10 1/2 inch skillet of unknown parentage. All
    > it has in the bottom is a "Y" with "10 1/2 skillet"
    > stamped beside it. I have no idea what it is, but when I
    > get it cleaned up I'm sure it'll be great.
    >
    > Doc
    I'm not a collector but did grow up in Vollrath town and was
    never aware that they produced cast iron. I have many
    stainless steel pieces. What is the time frame for cast iron
    production? Janet

  9. "drdoody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > I only collect Griswold and am still learning.....
    > >
    > > K.
    >
    > Expensive hobby, that. I've got a Wagner Sidney #6 and a
    > Vollrath #5 with smoke ring. Both I use every day. I've
    > also got a 10 1/2 inch skillet of unknown parentage. All
    > it has in the bottom is a "Y" with "10 1/2 skillet"
    > stamped beside it. I have no idea what it is, but when I
    > get it cleaned up I'm sure it'll be great.
    >
    > Doc
    I'm not a collector but did grow up in Vollrath town and was
    never aware that they produced cast iron. I have many
    stainless steel pieces. What is the time frame for cast iron
    production? Janet

  10. Wff_ng_6

    Wff_ng_6 Guest

    "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Enameled cast iron??????? <drool>

    The enameled cast iron is also a motley lot. Roughly half
    is items acquired new (Le Creuset and Cousances), while
    the rest are vintage pieces acquired off eBay. These
    older pieces include items no longer available these
    days, and were made by Descoware (Belgium) and Prizerware
    (Reading, PA).

    My prize pieces are a "bean pot" and a dutch oven. The bean
    pot is unmarked, but I believe is Descoware. It is "flame"
    colored. It is a larger version of the more common Descoware
    bean pot, but has an iron bail handle. Julia Child had one
    exactly like it that can be seen in the background on her
    older cooking shows, and it is currently sitting on the
    stove in the Smithsonian exhibit of her kitchen. I've only
    seen this particular pot twice on eBay, one of those times
    being when I got mine.

    The dutch oven is Iranian, believe it or not... Not!!! The
    woman selling it on eBay listed it as made in Iran, and the
    price was right even if it wasn't. When I got received it I
    saw the confusion. Compare:

    MADE IN IRAN MADE IN FRANCE

    Turns out the impression of the letter "F" was weak, looking
    like the letter "I" instead. The impressions of the letters
    "C" and "E" were almost nonexistant. What it looked like
    changed depending on how it was held in the light. From some
    angles, it definitely looked like "MADE IN IRAN". I told the
    seller she might need new glasses! ;-)

    While on the topics of eBay and cast iron, often the
    shipping cost exceeds the item cost, as was the case of this
    "Iranian" piece. I effectively got my WIRCO skillet for 42
    cents, as I bid a dollar, but the actual shipping exceeded
    the sellers quote by 58 cents.

  11. Wff_ng_6

  12. Katra wrote:
    > wff_ng_6 wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a bigger collection of enameled cast iron, but
    > > that's another story! ;-)
    >
    > Enameled cast iron??????? <drool>

    Descoware rules. I love the screw-in threaded wooden
    handles.

  13. Katra wrote:
    > wff_ng_6 wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a bigger collection of enameled cast iron, but
    > > that's another story! ;-)
    >
    > Enameled cast iron??????? <drool>

    Descoware rules. I love the screw-in threaded wooden
    handles.

  14. Drdoody

    Drdoody Guest

    "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I'm not a collector but did grow up in Vollrath town and
    > was never aware that they produced cast iron. I have many
    > stainless steel pieces. What
    is
    > the time frame for cast iron production? Janet

    The site I have says 1884-1964.

    A collector also says that my Vollrath was probably made
    between 1930 and 1950, which is fine by me. Still no answer
    on the "Y" skillet, thought.

    Doc

    --
    "I'm completely in favor of the separation
    of Church and State. My idea is that
    these two institutions screw us up
    enough on their own, so both of them
    together is certain death."

    George Carlin

  15. Drdoody

    Drdoody Guest

    "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I'm not a collector but did grow up in Vollrath town and
    > was never aware that they produced cast iron. I have many
    > stainless steel pieces. What
    is
    > the time frame for cast iron production? Janet

    The site I have says 1884-1964.

    A collector also says that my Vollrath was probably made
    between 1930 and 1950, which is fine by me. Still no answer
    on the "Y" skillet, thought.

    Doc

    --
    "I'm completely in favor of the separation
    of Church and State. My idea is that
    these two institutions screw us up
    enough on their own, so both of them
    together is certain death."

    George Carlin

  16. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "wff_ng_6" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Enameled cast iron??????? <drool>
    >
    > The enameled cast iron is also a motley lot. Roughly half
    > is items acquired new (Le Creuset and Cousances), while
    > the rest are vintage pieces acquired off eBay. These
    > older pieces include items no longer available these
    > days, and were made by Descoware (Belgium) and Prizerware
    > (Reading, PA).
    >
    > My prize pieces are a "bean pot" and a dutch oven. The
    > bean pot is unmarked, but I believe is Descoware. It is
    > "flame" colored. It is a larger version of the more common
    > Descoware bean pot, but has an iron bail handle. Julia
    > Child had one exactly like it that can be seen in the
    > background on her older cooking shows, and it is currently
    > sitting on the stove in the Smithsonian exhibit of her
    > kitchen. I've only seen this particular pot twice on eBay,
    > one of those times being when I got mine.
    >
    > The dutch oven is Iranian, believe it or not... Not!!! The
    > woman selling it on eBay listed it as made in Iran, and
    > the price was right even if it wasn't. When I got received
    > it I saw the confusion. Compare:
    >
    > MADE IN IRAN MADE IN FRANCE
    >
    > Turns out the impression of the letter "F" was weak,
    > looking like the letter "I" instead. The impressions of
    > the letters "C" and "E" were almost nonexistant. What
    > it looked like changed depending on how it was held in
    > the light. From some angles, it definitely looked like
    > "MADE IN IRAN". I told the seller she might need new
    > glasses! ;-)

    So is that good or bad? ;-)

    > While on the topics of eBay and cast iron, often the
    > shipping cost exceeds the item cost, as was the case of
    > this "Iranian" piece. I effectively got my WIRCO skillet
    > for 42 cents, as I bid a dollar, but the actual shipping
    > exceeded the sellers quote by 58 cents.

    Wow. So the seller lost money... Yeah, shipping can add up!
    I know what you mean.

    I'd not mind a larger Griswold DO, but I really cannot
    afford to get any more cast iron at the moment.

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  17. redtail1910

    redtail1910 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2010
    Hey Drdoody? By any chance would you sell your Sidney Wagner #6 Bean pot?