Cast Your Vote: Best Saddle For The Rump

Fizik Arione. The funny part is I'm a big guy and that saddle is soo comfortable.

Jim R said:
Specialized Alias (properly fit)

My butt gets sore just looking at most saddles. I haven't tried many of the ones mentioned above but the Alias was the first saddle I found that is comfortable. I am done looking.
I've got a Specialized BG Avatar (comes in 3 widths) and after about 20 hours it is now OK for 3 hours or so (never been longer on it).

The first 5 hours were absolute purgatory, I would be wincing in agony at 30-40 minutes!

I have to agree with the Fizik Arione supporters. I bought one about 7 months ago and my **** thanks me for it every ride. Go for the various special edition models, they look great to boot. A close second choice would be the San Marco Regal saddle, it's heavy but so comfortable.

Hooben said:
My vote is for the surprisingly inexpensive selle italia x/o trans am.
Awesome comfort and a small pricetag.

I have several favourites. I have a Devinci Caribou with a leather Selle XO on it and was amazed. I have yet to put more than 3 hours on it though, as I got the bike last September. I ride a Fizik Aliante on my TCR0 and a Brooks B17 on my 20 year old Raleigh Gran Prix. All good saddles! The only saddle that I've done a century on (177km X 2 - Rideau Lakes Tour) is my Saddleco Flow - an amazing saddle, but it only works with a couple of my shorts, as the chamois must cover the hard plastic edges on the outside of the confortable mesh insert. It is definitly the coolest saddle I've ridden as the mesh doesn't hold body heat. My Aliante that I use now is better for all of the shorts that I wear, but I would still use the Flow on hot days or for serious time/mileage in the saddle. I've used a Koobi Silver and a Koobi Si on my city bike - both great saddles.
I find that different saddles work on specific bikes that I ride. My road saddles don't work on my city bike or mountain bike. Riding styles and positions affect the type of saddle needed. Try a few!

bornagainroadie said:
I have several favourites. I have a Devinci Caribou with a leather Selle XO on it and was amazed. I have yet to put more than 3 hours on it though, as I got the bike last September.
I had an XO that came OEM on a K2 Enemy in 2003, and it wasn't uncomfortable for the short time I had it before I sold it. Thinking back now, I wish I'd have kept it for a spare. :(

I have tried many saddles throughout the years and my previous favorite was the Selle Italia Prolink Gel. The Prolink is an extremely comfortable saddle and I have ridden it the last three years. Nothing has been able to un-seat it, so to speak. I've tried the new Specialized saddles the Alias and Avatar, frankly the worst saddles I have tried in the modern age. The previous BG's were much better, but didn't look as cool. The Fizik Arione is above average for comfort, but you either love or hate that long S.O.B.!!! My vote is for a saddle that is not super light, but respectable enough for the comfort it gives. All this without looking goofy. The Fizik Aliante Gamma. :eek:

Scuba Steve

climbin'junkie said:
Cast Your Vote:

What is the most comfortable saddle out there?
I like my Serfas Aria. It's not the softest saddle that I've ridden, nor is it the most expensive, but it feels perfectly comfortable with my biking shorts on.

Selle Italia prolink gelflow... kinda big and heavy, but i commute to work in brooklyn and it's saving my skinny ass...

bornagainroadie... My Aliante that I use now is better for all of the shorts that I wear...[/QUOTE said:
Definitely -- try a few is the right advice here.

I wonder if all the Fizik Arione riders tried the Aliante as well? I tried the Arione and there was no question to me (although the Arione felt good, and being able to adjust positions on that looooong saddle might be nice from time to time).

QUOTE]

I wonder if all the Fizik Arione riders tried the Aliante as well? I tried the Arione and there was no question to me (although the Arione felt good, and being able to adjust positions on that looooong saddle might be nice from time to time).[/QUOTE]
I wanted the Aliante but I got a brand new Arione at my LBS for $50. I would still like to try the Aliante. Has anyone tried both and if so what is your opinion?

birdman23 said:
QUOTE]... Definitely -- try a few is the right advice here.

And maybe even more than a few! It's the one part on a bike (well, to some extent maybe pedals too) that truly comes down to: what works great for one person may not work at all for someone else. A saddle that is wonderfully comfortable for one rider could prove to be downright painful for another. It can take a lot of trial and error before a person can find a saddle that they really like.

I wonder if all the Fizik Arione riders tried the Aliante as well? I tried the Arione and there was no question to me (although the Arione felt good, and being able to adjust positions on that looooong saddle might be nice from time to time).

I felt the problem (for me) with the Aliante was that arc in the saddle. Awesome if you ride single position. Less so if you want to slide forward on the Aliante, since it always felt like I was out of position and sliding backwards. On the Arione, its more a flat saddle (though to me no less comfortable), slightly longer, and seemed to encourage a few more ride positions more comfortably.

I haven't tried them all, of course, but I've tried many. Having ridden more than 14,000 miles a year for several years, the most comfortable and durable saddle I have ever used is the Selle Italia Turbomatic. I don't suppose there is any one-size-fits-all saddle that is the best for everyone, but for me this saddle does the job really well.

I prefer Brooks leather saddles, at present I'm riding a Swift and love it. I don't even have to think about my rump anymore unless someone questions me on how I like leather.

Most complaints regarding saddles could be greatly reduced once the saddle is adjusted correctly to "your" frame and riding position.

Been a serious rider since 1974 but it took me a couple of years to finally find the correct saddle height and angle.
Many cyclists want their bike to look aggressive with high seat posts low bars and steep angles and wonder why their saddle is uncomfortable and why their hands and arms keep cramping and falling asleep..

One more vote for the Fizik Aliante here. I love this saddle. I tried the Arione briefly, and though fairly comfortable, it had nothing on the Aliante. Granted, I’ve been told that the Arione has to be broken in, and my Arione spin in the parking lot was nothing compared to the centuries I do on the Aliante. I have a Fizik Gobi on my mountain bike – that one’s not bad.

After years of trial and error, the Fizi'k Aliante is custom made for me. No problems at all.

I guess I'm lucky, because my rump isn't very picky when it comes to saddles. I rode a Selle Italia Flight for years with no problems, and I recently picked up a cheapy Performance Forte Pro SLX (the split model) and it disappeared beneath me as well.

About the only thing I can say for certain for me is that when it comes to saddles, less is better. Larger saddles interfere with my pedal stroke my not giving my thighs enough room to move unimpended.