Castle Coombe Caper and the old Severn bridge.

Martin

Guest
Someone in this group recently mention the above short audax, so I
thought I would try it.

I cycle the 9ish miles to the start in just over half an hour (via the
B2B). I then did the 56km (official) audax in about 3.5 hours (excluding
stops). I think the actual distance was 2-3km longer.
This was the first audax I have done, so I just followed other people
who knew what they were doing. (If you are reading this then thankyou).

I then decided to cycle home a longer route to do a metric century, so I
cycled back to Bristol via the B2B, and then across to the Pill path
beside the Avon, and onto Avonmouth bridge. According to my maths I hit
the metric century halfway across the bridge.

I then cycled through Avonmouth and up to the old Severn bridge along
the A403. I crossed the bridge on path on the south side, rode under the
motorway, and returned to England on the north side. I then cycled back
to Bristol and home.

I set a new personal distance record of 88 miles in one day. ( 96 miles
in 24hours if I count last nights commute home, but I think that's
cheating).

In the last ten miles I drank about 800ml of fruit juice just to keep going.

According to signs posted at the Severn bridge, they will be
periodically closing the paths over the bridge over the next year. They
imply they will only close one at a time, but it is worth noting.

I recently bought some new bar ends/ hand grips, and fitted them the on
Thursday. I found them really comfortable
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=11706&src=froogle

On 21 Jun, 20:22, Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Someone in this group recently mention the above short audax, so I
> thought I would try it.
>
> I cycle the 9ish miles to the start in just over half an hour (via the
> B2B). I then did the 56km (official) audax in about 3.5 hours (excluding
> stops). I think the actual distance was 2-3km longer.
> This was the first audax I have done, so I just followed other people
> who knew what they were doing. (If you are reading this then thankyou).

Excellent! I had considered it, but I live 30 minutes drive south-
east of castle combe so this would have meant driving an hour to
mangotsfield, doing the 50K audax (during which I would have course
ended up reasonably close to home :) then driving back again, which
seemed to rather defeat the object - i could just do 50K up to catle
combe and back home again :) Alternatively I could have cycled to
magotsfield and back but that would have meant a 100K ride to do a 50
K audax.. nahh.

'speshly cos of the weather anyway.

And I have to go to bristol to work everyday of the week as it is.

(there - I think I have convinced myself now ;-)

didds

didds wrote:

> 'speshly cos of the weather anyway.

The weather was lovely. A light bit of drizzle for a few minutes, a bit
of sun for a while, and overcast for the rest of the day. My waterproofs
never left my bag.

On 21 Jun, 21:56, Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
> didds wrote:
> > 'speshly cos of the weather anyway.

> The weather was lovely. A light bit of drizzle for a few minutes, a bit
> of sun for a while, and overcast for the rest of the day. My waterproofs
> never left my bag.

bl**dy drizzeled half the day in Devizes!

didds