Castration and physical fitness

sopas

Jul 20, 2004
Hello I have a few questions here:

1. Is Lance Armstrong castrated (both balls)? or just partially castrated (one ball)?

2. Is there any scientific basis to say that castrated mammals (men included of course) are stronger that those who aren't?

3. Why do cats and dogs get bigger after they are castrated?

sopas said:
Hello I have a few questions here:

1. Is Lance Armstrong castrated (both balls)? or just partially castrated (one ball)?

2. Is there any scientific basis to say that castrated mammals (men included of course) are stronger that those who aren't?

3. Why do cats and dogs get bigger after they are castrated?
Lance still has one.
Total castration would lead to a loss of testosterone production which would make the unfortunate individual weaker.
That bigger is just fatter.

Don Shipp said:
Lance still has one.
Total castration would lead to a loss of testosterone production which would make the unfortunate individual weaker.
That bigger is just fatter.

I'm not entirely sure that's true because what about the recent gelding (horse that's been castrated) that won two out of the three triple crown events in horse racing. I can understand the loss of the animal instinct but would a person really lose that much ability? I don't think so. I think what you'd see more would be a loss of the animal drive and instinct and Lance has complained about lower motivation than what he would normally have if he had two balls.

Yeaah, I heard about racing horses that have been castrated and they run more!!

tomdavis80 said:
I'm not entirely sure that's true because what about the recent gelding (horse that's been castrated) that won two out of the three triple crown events in horse racing. I can understand the loss of the animal instinct but would a person really lose that much ability? I don't think so. I think what you'd see more would be a loss of the animal drive and instinct and Lance has complained about lower motivation than what he would normally have if he had two balls.
We might be about to enter a vast area of ignorance on my part, horses and horse racing have never caught my interest. However, I understand that horses get their motivation from the jockey and a gelding might be easier to direct. It would be a shame if that horse continues to do well because his career as a stud is over already.
As for Lance, he seems to have more motivation than someone with three balls.

sopas said:
Yeaah, I heard about racing horses that have been castrated and they run more!!
The jockey just has to whisper to them:-"If you don't win this one you'll lose the rest of it!" and boy do they run.

Don Shipp said:
We might be about to enter a vast area of ignorance on my part, horses and horse racing have never caught my interest. However, I understand that horses get their motivation from the jockey and a gelding might be easier to direct. It would be a shame if that horse continues to do well because his career as a stud is over already.

True, he does seem more motivated than the average man and that does say something. But the implying that loss of strength and probable ability should mean that a gelding should not normally perform as well as a normal horse or man for that matter who has two balls, so when you consider Lance's ability and capacity, it would suggest that he won't be able to compete on the same high level that other riders who have normal two balls can at the professional level, but he does.

That's why I'm doubtful that the loss or reduction of testosterone means the corresponding loss of strength and ability in cycling or any other sport.

Thomas Davis

I vote for castrating Ulrich to see if he can beat Lance that way!! LOL :)

Again I must caution you:

The ponies are doped to maximum levels as are:

Grand Tour winners!

Testosterone levels are hiked 5-10 times natural, with or without testicles.

Synthetic hormones have been with us since 1937!

Look for more records to fall as the drugs and genetic doping keeps improving.

No hope w/o the dope!

tomdavis80 said:

The testicles are not muscle.

But eliminating them should lower weight a little.

The question of ZERO, one, two or three balls is irrelevant when the testosterone is being delivered via IV or injection on a trauma medcial care basis.

It's all about the medical care. Not the bike!

sopas said:
I vote for castrating Ulrich to see if he can beat Lance that way!! LOL :)

The reason they geld horses is to calm them down if they are too high spirited to be controlled. Otherwise, gelding a racehorse is literally cutting off the greatest source of income - stud fees. So it isn't done unless absolutely necessary.

As I understand it, Lance still has one, but chemo pretty much killed it's reproduction function. Technically speaking, he's an oddball. I believe testosterone production will be the same, whether you have one or two. If you're down to one, it works overtime to keep T levels appropriate.

It is at times like this that I'm so glad I never became famous. Imagine your nuts being a subject of international discussion...

Don Shipp said:

JohnO said:
As I understand it, Lance still has one, but chemo pretty much killed it's reproduction function. Technically speaking, he's an oddball. I believe testosterone production will be the same, whether you have one or two. If you're down to one, it works overtime to keep T levels appropriate.
Unless, 'appropriate' is 10 times lower than 'professional level' that is. Then synthetic doping will override the testicle's natural function.

It is at times like this that I'm so glad I never became famous. Imagine your nuts being a subject of international discussion...[/QUOTE]
Or your doctor being convicted of a doping crime?

Don't worry though, commercial themes are budgeted to counter and coverup these embarrassing questions.

JohnO said:
The reason they geld horses is to calm them down if they are too high spirited to be controlled. Otherwise, gelding a racehorse is literally cutting off the greatest source of income - stud fees. So it isn't done unless absolutely necessary.

It is at times like this that I'm so glad I never became famous. Imagine your nuts being a subject of international discussion...
Didn't Lance sire an offspring after the op and all the chemo?

JohnO said:

Plus they castrate national hunt horses because they have to jump fences (and could end up self-castrating if the approach a fence incorrectly : prevention is better than the cure).

Don Shipp said:

If you read his books, you'd find out that they were done through in-vitro fertilization.

Negative.

He harvested sperm pre-chemo and later met Mrs. Armstrong #1. She was not in the picture frame whatsoever in 1996.

More fertility hormones--and twins were produced.

Later a son.

That story mirrors his professional life.

Don Shipp said:

Flyer said:
Negative.

He harvested sperm pre-chemo and later met Mrs. Armstrong #1. She was not in the picture frame whatsoever in 1996.

More fertility hormones--and twins were produced.

Later a son.

That story mirrors his professional life.
That is a really unnecessary comment and a low blow.
Lets move on.

refer to the Original Post for clarity.

The truth is not high nor low. It just is.

Testosterone discussions are often centered around testicles----and they are not located at the ankles, but at the pelvic region.

Lying and defrauding the public and using a corrupt Italian doctor is a low blow.

It is the worst fom of deception.

Felippo Simeoni and Marco Pantani deserve better. So dies the cancer community.

They need the whole truth, not marketing themes.

hombredesubaru said:
That is a really unnecessary comment and a low blow.
Lets move on.

Don Shipp said:
As far as I know a horse never campaigns in racing once it is put to stud. Horses are gelded in general for control and clearance purposes. The presence of a normal "set" can in some cases collide with the back legs causing a disruption of running and stride. In a case of clearance, gelding is the most extreme measure, and vets and owners far prefer to remove one so the horse can still breed. Such animals are known as Ridgelings.(I believe a racing term)
Any male of any species with one can be described as a Monorchid. (the Greek for testicle is orchus, and the flowering plant Orchid is so named because of the appearance of it's root like portion.)
As to the control aspect of gelding. If someone cut my nuts off they would sure get my attention and I'd darn well "settle down and fly right". I suspect that even in a horse's case he would know that the next stop was the glue factory if he didn't!