Casual Looking SPD-SL Compatible Cycling Shoes...do they exist???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Italiano3891, May 16, 2013.

1. Italiano3891

Italiano3891 New Member

Help me out here guys. Are there any casual looling spd-sl compatible cycling shoes out there? I know there are a few brands that make SPD versions... Please let me know. Thanks!

-Jon

Tags:

2. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Casual enough? There's tons of different styles for SPD.

3. Italiano3891

Italiano3891 New Member

Something close toed...a normal shoe. DZR makes a ton for SPD but I don't see any for SPD-SL. THe DZR Nero is a good example of what I'm looking for.

4. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

I was just pointing out that there are a variety of styles from very cycling specific looking shoes to very casual affairs that will assume the spd cleat. I would imagine dozens of different shoes in the casual category are available. I haven't done much looking around but I have seen some really cool stuff, sorry don't remember brands. Those Nero's look pretty cool btw.

Doubtful that you wll find many casual shoes using the SPD-SL cleat (if any) though as its mainly a road cleat. You will have better luck going with the old school MTB SPD cleat. And I would personally recommend the Shimano A520 pedal which has a nice big platform if ever using cleatless shoes.

Personally, I would look at all the popular mail order places for images/brand names of the stuff that interested me. Also would run image searches on the popular search engines with terms like spd, casual shoe, recreational, etc.

Once I found a shoe I liked I'd nail down a local store/dealer I could preferably try the shoe on at - I would start by going to the manufactures website and seeing if they have a dealer locator tool. And if not but really wanted the shoe I found would accept that I may have to spend some extra $$ in return shipping costs if the first pair I ordered did not fit just right.

Good luck.

5. Italiano3891

Italiano3891 New Member

I already exhausted that method, that's why I'm here as a last resort. I'm new to cycling, are there some major print/online catalogs/companies I should go to first? Although I have done a ton of internet searches.

6. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

The one's that I know of are:

Performance
    Nashbar
    Competitive Cyclist
    Colorado Cyclist
    Excel Sports Boulder
    Ribble Cycles

Maybe there's something that works at one of those outfits.

7. Italiano3891

Italiano3891 New Member

Thank You. Found some, but they are still very competive cyclist style. I've looked all over, oh well. I've found some that I like and they are a little more subdued then others.

8. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

9. maydog

maydog Well-Known Member

These are the Nashbar ragster sandals. I have a pair and I love them, they have held up to multiple seasons of riding and I wear them to indoor cycling classes as well.