Cat 1/2 doping

cdy291

Nov 23, 2006
Just how rampant is doping in the Cat 1/2 feilds. I did my fist Cat2 road race yesterday. And the guy who won I have questions about. I have known him for a while. Last year he was just a mediocre Cat3. Now this year he is one hell of a Cat2. I train with him alot and he is just stupid strong.

cdy291 said:
Just how rampant is doping in the Cat 1/2 feilds. I did my fist Cat2 road race yesterday. And the guy who won I have questions about. I have known him for a while. Last year he was just a mediocre Cat3. Now this year he is one hell of a Cat2. I train with him alot and he is just stupid strong.

Only the ones riding 49 min 40k time trials!!

bikerboy said:
Only the ones riding 49 min 40k time trials!!
Rampant? No. Does it happen? Probably...

Face it, most cat2's are just stupid strong. To get to cat2 requires actual performance -- you can't just upgrade by entering a lot of races.

I know someone who wins cat3 races and only rides like 4hrs/wk on a good week...If he trains, I'm sure he would be amazing. It's just genetics.

iliveonnitro said:
Rampant? No. Does it happen? Probably...

Face it, most cat2's are just stupid strong. To get to cat2 requires actual performance -- you can't just upgrade by entering a lot of races.

I know someone who wins cat3 races and only rides like 4hrs/wk on a good week...If he trains, I'm sure he would be amazing. It's just genetics.
Good genes + doping = super stronger

cdy291 said:
Great question and one I'd love to know the answer to. I think it is a lot higher than we expect. When I was racing I was very naive until the last few years when I saw guys that were mediocre for years make sudden unexplained jumps in performance. This was the mid 90's. I raced again for a short time in '03 and didn't notice any major increase in speed, only that a lot more people could hang. What I did notice was there were now a lot of super sprinters. I used to be a pretty decent sprinter, but these guys were ridiculous and not even pros. They all looked like Abdu. I don't really know how to describe it but cyclists don't even look the same as they did 15 years ago.

PED use among our youth is a major problem that gets little attention. Hang out or talk to guys btwn the ages of 17-25 and you'll find that steroid use is rampant. These guys aren't athletes, they're just trying to score. So don't think for a second that young athletes aren't using the same stuff.

As an aside, I haven't raced Masters, but have ridden with many. I think those dudes are using big time, else I hope I can still kick ass like that when I'm 45.

fscyclist said:
Great question and one I'd love to know the answer to. I think it is a lot higher than we expect. When I was racing I was very naive until the last few years when I saw guys that were mediocre for years make sudden unexplained jumps in performance. This was the mid 90's. I raced again for a short time in '03 and didn't notice any major increase in speed, only that a lot more people could hang. What I did notice was there were now a lot of super sprinters. I used to be a pretty decent sprinter, but these guys were ridiculous and not even pros. They all looked like Abdu. I don't really know how to describe it but cyclists don't even look the same as they did 15 years ago.

PED use among our youth is a major problem that gets little attention. Hang out or talk to guys btwn the ages of 17-25 and you'll find that steroid use is rampant. These guys aren't athletes, they're just trying to score. So don't think for a second that young athletes aren't using the same stuff.

As an aside, I haven't raced Masters, but have ridden with many. I think those dudes are using big time, else I hope I can still kick ass like that when I'm 45.

I have a teamate thats older, and I just cannot see him doing that ****. I got beat last year in a race by a couple 50+ guys. I'm 18... They still have the endurance, and field sprinting is won by experience. If there is a drug culture in masters, I would laugh!! I think if you get beat down, then use it as an excuse to make yourself feel better... I would then.

bikerboy said:
I have a teamate thats older, and I just cannot see him doing that ****. I got beat last year in a race by a couple 50+ guys. I'm 18... They still have the endurance, and field sprinting is won by experience. If there is a drug culture in masters, I would laugh!! I think if you get beat down, then use it as an excuse to make yourself feel better... I would then.
bikeboy: better keep away from Nationals. You be singing the blues.

bikerboy said:
I've never taken a beating by a 50+ year old rider, so you're alone on that one. You also, quite obviously, know little about people who use or abuse drugs. If you think you can just spot a drug user or think that 'good guys' don't use, you're in for an awakening at some point.

You know all these doping issues that people talk about in the US? We should all ask the pioneers of domestic doping: the guys that administered the blood doping in the 84 oylmpics. And most of them were high up in the USCF!

johnnyspt said:
You know all these doping issues that people talk about in the US? We should all ask the pioneers of domestic doping: the guys that administered the blood doping in the 84 oylmpics. And most of them were high up in the USCF!
They are all still around and still involved in cycling.

Only the PR spin changes. Doping, cheating, fixing remains a constant.

Nah I would say the US Cat 1-2 fields would be pretty clean. I mean lets face it any Aussie who has ever riden a tricycle can head over to the States and smash Cat 1-2 fields to pieces. They do so fairly regularly.:eek::p

existence said:
Nah I would say the US Cat 1-2 fields would be pretty clean. I mean lets face it any Aussie who has ever riden a tricycle can head over to the States and smash Cat 1-2 fields to pieces. They do so fairly regularly.:eek::p
Confused post:

Are you are implying that all Aussies are doped?

Or that Americans do not elect effective steroids, blood boosting, cortisone or amphetamines Polypharmacy?

The angels with clean faces presumption seems absurd.

Being a young athlete I will tell you it is unreal how many people I know that do them, now they are not in the cycling world but still I mean I see how easy it is to get them. I would say you have your guys out there that do them and win but im sure you have some that are all natural and just as strong.